WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2004, 01:51 AM

Hails from United States
Combining traditional painting with PS

This is a piece I did for the Weekend Drawing Event. It started as a watercolor, but as long as I had to scan it for the WDE, I worked a bit more in Photoshop. (and added some "real" ie photographic leaves in the foreground.
I have a box of watercolor paintings that I considered flops, but saved recently in a box labeled " Having some redeeming value" I hope to use bits and snippets, whatever will fit in my scanner and have fun.
Anyone else out there scan old rejects to work digitally???
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2004, 03:53 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Santiago, Chile

Hails from Chile
Re: Combining traditional painting with PS

Hi Elainepsq! welcome to this forum

I like the subject, the composition and the colors specially the ones you applied to the waterfall and the leaves. I would like to achieve a style like this some day.

There's only one thing that caught my attention (perhaps i'm wrong if it is the case please forgive me! ). It has to do with perspective. There are two rocks that seem to be nearer than they should be perhaps it has something to do with values or the size of the rocks. Here i send you the image showing the rocks
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2004, 08:28 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

very nice...looks great
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 01:14 AM

Hails from United States

Thanks to both of your for your replies. You may be right, Kareen, now that you mention it, those 2 rocks do stand out. The one on the left was much larger and seemed to be teetering precariously in the source photo. On the right, I think I was just trying to vary the sizes and shapes. Otherwise, rocks and come out looking like a pile of potatoes LOL.
Also, the rock just below it is particularly light, I'm not sure if I was trying for the water rushing over it effect, or whether it is a rock that is just too light. I always appreciate seeing my own work thru a different pair of eyes!
Nowhere but on the internet, could I sit at home and exchange opinions with people all over the world with similiar interests!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast
Halifax, NS Canada

Hails from Canada

Elaine I like this image and the forground rock would probaly work just fine if the shadows were more definite, I have found that when painting rocks to make them aoear hard and rocky one had to use definite planes of dark, medium and light. except for under the rock there are no definite darks on the face of the rock and I think they might bring the rock forward by causing the lower tones to pop a bit more.
Edie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2004, 04:48 AM

Hails from United States

After reading your suggestions, I went into this piece again and worked on the 2 rocks we've been discussing. My first try, I did too much and the foreground rock was too opague and didn't fit with the watercolor quality of the others. Thank goodness for the revert! The second time I toned them down a bit.
I am also trying the image uploader for the first time, so my apologies if it doesn't work the first time.
Thanks alot for the C&C