WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Denver, CO

Hails from United States
Image Transfer Question

Don't know if I'm in the right forum or not, but does anyone here know of a good solvent (that doesn't smell too bad) I can use to tansfer images and text from old newspapers and magazines on to watercolor paper?

Thanks,

Jay
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2004, 07:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: Image Transfer Question

Hi Jay, welcome to Mixed Media. I wish I could help you with your question but I have never used solvents to transfer, although I do use an oderless solvent to thin my oils when I use an oil stain. The oderless one does not bother me as much as the normal one. I hope this will help you and you work sound interesting. I hope you will post it here for us to see. By the way, I live in Mexico so the brand I use would not be of much help to you but I am sure you can get something similar, anywhere.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast
Northern Ireland

Hails from United Kingdom

There are several ways to transfer images. I acutally bought something from an art shop once, but can't remember the brand. I think it just came in a tube and was called "Image transfer medium".

A simple way to transfer is with acrylic gloss gel medium. You brush it onto your surface, place your photocopy on top of it, smooth it and let it dry. The next day you wet the back of the paper and let it soak for a few minutes. You can then just rub the paper away.

You might want to buy "Collage Discovery Workshop" by Claudine Hellmuth. She explains how to do heat transfers, contact paper transfers, and even uses clear caulk. It's a wonderful book with great visuals and is useful way beyond learning to do transfers.

Jolie
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Thanks all for the help!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2004, 08:50 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations

You can transfer fresh photocopied images with Citrasolve cleaner -- I'm not sure how toxic or non-toxic the stuff is, so read the label. Chartpak blender pens are no longer made with Xylene, but with acetone instead, so they're safer, but not entirely safe (use with good ventilation).
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2004, 09:42 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Rust Belt

Unfortunately, Citrasolve is nearly as toxic as the other chemicals that may be used for an image transfer. I recommend medium, water or chaulking. Any of these are far less toxic and can be used indoors (burrrrrrrr here).

If you use a clay coated paper you'll get a better and clearer transfer.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2004, 09:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie

A simple way to transfer is with acrylic gloss gel medium. You brush it onto your surface, place your photocopy on top of it, smooth it and let it dry. The next day you wet the back of the paper and let it soak for a few minutes. You can then just rub the paper away.

Jolie

Can you transfer on canvas? This sounds interesting, might want to try it someday. Jay you got a lot of suggestions here.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2004, 09:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Reading this with interest. I've always used gels to makes transfers.

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2004, 11:20 PM

Hails from United States

I have been exploring image transferring for a while now, and although I have not perfected the process, I have learned a lot by learning from those who have. It all depends on your original source image, is it an inkjet image, a photocopy, or laserjet? I have used acrylic gel medium and it has been hit an miss with inkjet images. Sometimes the images transfer is perfect, and other times it does not transfer at all. You have to experience it yourself to understand. Check out this link for more info.

http://www.calsk8.com/zeitgeist/acrylicgeltransfers.htm
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2004, 12:04 AM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlelevier
Can you transfer on canvas? This sounds interesting, might want to try it someday. Jay you got a lot of suggestions here.
I'm sure you can! You can transfer onto wood and glass and a lot of other things, so give it a try.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2004, 11:13 AM
California

Hails from United States

Acrylic Gel Medium is great for image transfers. And yes you can transfer to canvas. Here's a link to my friends site with an awesome tutorial for A.G.M transfers.

Last edited by MeikaM : 11-09-2004 at 11:16 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2004, 11:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeikaM
Acrylic Gel Medium is great for image transfers. And yes you can transfer to canvas. Here's a link to my friends site with an awesome tutorial for A.G.M transfers.

Thank you Meika and Yelllowjkt01 for the link and Rose for giving me a push and Jay for posting this. Don't forget to post your work. I'll get hooked on this one

Last edited by Mary Woodul : 11-09-2004 at 11:55 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

I am watching this thread with great interest as I have been struggling with this for about 3 months. I want to transfer images to canvas and then paint over them. I have not had much success with getting a uniformly good clear image by transferring. So I began applying photocopies and/or inkjet prints to the canvas.

I use acrylics for the painting, but the moisture in the paint made the paper buckle and bubble.

I think I have tried every adhesive imaginable....have spent a lot of $'s and now have a storehouse of it.

My most successful attempt at an image transfer has been to use a product called 'Picture This'. A few problems even with that, and it is necessary to wait about 24 hours to dampen and remove the paper backing. That is a very long time to hold one's breath and pray that another canvas has not been lost.

When using the paper applications, I have managed to 'waterproof' them by doing 2 coats of gel medium front and back before applying. Some of these are fairly large (perhaps 12 x 14 inches or so)...and their size makes it difficult sometimes to get them applied flat and even.

Today a small book arrived from Amazon which I think is going to be very helpful. It's small, inexpensive, and without pictures. But it addresses several of the problems I've already encountered and presents solutions.

It's entitled 'Collage - A New Approach'...Collage Without Liquid Adhesives'.
The author is Jonathan Talbot. I think this link will take you there, and I found others' reviews appearing at the bottom of the page an incentive to buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

I hope this helps someone....I will be checking back here often to read others' comments and report if I get some consistent and successful results from my own experiments. I am getting so impatient to get beyond this technical difficulty and proceed with completing the work!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2004, 02:09 AM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Y'know, as I started to read your post, I thought "I wonder if Jonathan's method would work for her," then I kept scrolling... It would certainly solve your problem because the image (paper and all) would be sealed in the medium, which is essentially a polymer the same chemical composition as acrylic paint, and you could easily just paint over it. Just don't ever try this with oils, because they never (and I do mean 'never') dry on top of acrylics. If you ever have a chance to take one of Jonathan's workshops, I highly recommend you do so -- he is endlessly inventive and very generous with his ideas and help. Check out his website at http://www.talbot1.com while you're at it; he sells all the materials needed for his methods pretty much at cost and he's a delight to deal with.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2004, 04:41 AM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Wow...thank you so much for the site reference! Have only begun to scratch the surface but have it bookmarked and shall go through it thoroughly in the morning. And at last....maybe some light at the end of a very long tunnel. Thank you again.