WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
A duck ----- just for fun :)

Well, I have been working on a portrait and it wasn't going well, needed to re-prime and start the whole thing over , very frustrating. Anyway, I felt like I needed a distraction before getting back to it, so I dug up a photo of a duck I took while visiting an amish farm last year in Pensylvania.

14x18 (I think), on canvas. Comments and advice always welcome.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Clearwater, FL

Hails from United States
Re: A duck ----- just for fun :)

I really like the softness of the feathers, I just wish she had some chicks. James
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

This is a nice diversion. The feathers are wonderfully soft as James siad. The head is a little too large though. Or maybe it is just the angle. Overall I think it is very well done.
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2004, 06:00 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Hey good work...the duck looks very good to me! Great job on the feathers.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

It's always good to take a break from a painting. Excellent job on this duck. Are you considering taking up wildlife art?

Dave
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks James, Carol, TxAggieDarlin, and Dave

Quote:
This is a nice diversion. The feathers are wonderfully soft as James siad. The head is a little too large though. Or maybe it is just the angle. Overall I think it is very well done.

Although I did try to measure acurately, I did sail along with this one pretty fast, not wanting to stop too long to think, 'cause then I just start obsessing LOL! , but you could very well be right. I went back to look at the original photo, and although I'm not sure about the size of the head (will have to measure it at some point, I was just eyeballing it ), but I think it could be the neck that's too small, too narrow. Could that be making the head look to big?

Quote:
It's always good to take a break from a painting. Excellent job on this duck. Are you considering taking up wildlife art?

I find when I start obssessing about something I am working on, and getting frustrated, I like to just start something really different, and try to make it a quicker painting, just to get some paint on the canvas and not worry about getting a likeness, or pleasing a client or whatever. I have started the original portrait over again, and it is going much better.

Hmmmm, wildlife art? I would love to take that up. I am always in search of "my thing". I just like to paint whatever strikes my interest, but I do love animals, so that could very well become my new passion. It drives my husband crazy when we go to a zoo, 'cause I usually take a gazillion pictures, for possible future reference LOL!

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2004, 01:20 AM
Enthusiast
Sprinfield, Illinois

Hails from United States

Shelly,
I think your painting of the duck is "just ducky"! Really nice job. Liked the feathers and background. I don't come over here much (Acrylic Forum)--I have been hanging out in the Abstract Forum. Bunch of nice people over there. Since you went from people to a duck, may be you should "stretch your wings" and try an abstract painting?
Larry C.
"For the essence of a work of art is, after all, that it cuts out a piece of the endlessly continuous sequences of perceived experience, detaching it from all connections with one side or the other, giving it a self-sufficient form as though defined and held together by an inner core." Georg Simmel
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerjr
Shelly,
I think your painting of the duck is "just ducky"! Really nice job. Liked the feathers and background. I don't come over here much (Acrylic Forum)--I have been hanging out in the Abstract Forum. Bunch of nice people over there. Since you went from people to a duck, may be you should "stretch your wings" and try an abstract painting?
Larry C.

Hi Larry , glad you popped in here, it's good to "see" you again .
Hmmm, from people to animals to abstracts... well I suppose anything is possible Seriously though, I find I am always searching and wondering what my "thing" is, wether it's subject, media... whatever. As soon as I start to get comfortable with something I start to feel like it's time to move on to sometime else. Does anyone else feel this way or do you all just enjoy what it is you do and stick with it?

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast
Sprinfield, Illinois

Hails from United States

Shelly,
One of the reasons I started spending so much time in the Abstract forum is "there is never a dull moment" over there. A lot of powerful use of color, interesting compositions, subject matter, and a different way of looking at things. Plus the people are very supportive!

I have started doing some abstracts and it's funny: there can be a powerful freedom to create. I still use a lot of my traditional skills and color theory, but totally use my imagination plus the juxtipostion of things in nature for my subject matter. It definitely is an experience for me. My wife, the other night said, I really like it, but what is it.
Larry C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyF
Hi Larry , glad you popped in here, it's good to "see" you again .
Hmmm, from people to animals to abstracts... well I suppose anything is possible Seriously though, I find I am always searching and wondering what my "thing" is, wether it's subject, media... whatever. As soon as I start to get comfortable with something I start to feel like it's time to move on to sometime else. Does anyone else feel this way or do you all just enjoy what it is you do and stick with it?
"For the essence of a work of art is, after all, that it cuts out a piece of the endlessly continuous sequences of perceived experience, detaching it from all connections with one side or the other, giving it a self-sufficient form as though defined and held together by an inner core." Georg Simmel