WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: best brand of synthetic acrylic brushes
1st choice 1 100.00%
reasons 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2004, 04:34 AM
Door County, Wisconsin

Hails from United States
Question Need help choosing brushes for acrylics!

I'm trying to find the best brushes for acrylics...including the brand. I don't want bristle, so I guess they would be synthetics. Include a web site to order them if you can. Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2004, 04:45 AM
Door County, Wisconsin

Hails from United States
Question Re: Need help choosing brushes for acrylics!

I'm new to this as you can tell. I'm just trying to find out which brand of synthetic acrylic brush you think is best. Include a web site for ordering if you can. Thanks
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
NYC

Hails from United States
Re: Need help choosing brushes for acrylics!

http://www.dickblick.com/zz053/76a/p...m=0&ig_id=6252
Da Vinci Top Acrylic Synthetic Bristle Brushes

For me it holds on to the paint very well. But they are Synthetic Bristle, I'm not sure if that is what you want.

But I also have some Winsor & Newton http://www.pearlpaint.com/pearl/synbrus1.html

These are 2nd on my list. They work well, but I just like DV better.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2004, 11:05 AM

Hails from Canada

I use Winsor & Newton Rathbone Supreme bristle brushes

http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-a...art-supplies/5

but you don't want natural bristles,

So, there's another line by Winsor & Newton called Artisan

http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-a...art-supplies/6

they are close to bristle with very thick paint (with added thickener or paste) (I still like bristle better)

also, I use Winsor and Newton Monarch line with paint consistency like from tube and less, I really like these brushes, they hold a lot of paint, they release the paint nice and consistent, they are fllexible enough to twist and turn, but strong to come back to shape. they have a nice spring to them, too

http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-a...art-supplies/5

only drawback: they take longer than other brushes I have used to clean
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2004, 08:04 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Here's Dick Blick's brush index page for an overview:
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/brushes/

For a stiff synthetic bristle I like the Cryla brushes from Daler-Rowney, don't know of their availability online but a quick search in Google will sort you out. I'm not aware of any equivalent made by anyone else, sorry.

In softer synthetics - rounds, flats, lange du chat/filbert, angled shaders and liners - I use golden taklons mostly, made by a number of different people including D-R, W&N and another English brand you won't be able to find in the US. There are equivalents in many American ranges.

I use Kolinsky rounds for painting detail, there are lots of good brands. I would suggest trying Da Vinci, Raphäel or Escoda over W&N's Series 7 which are too expensive and not as consistent as they used to be. Dick Blick also have a proprietary Kolinsky but I haven't had a change to test mine yet.

For more opinions I suggest doing a search here in the Acrylics forum and you'll find a number of threads on brush preferences, there was one a few months ago if I recall correctly.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2004, 09:57 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Now I'm there

Hails from United States

I use ProStroke Powercryl. ASW often has good 2-for-1 deals on these. They are the only brand of synthetic I've found that comes in really large sizes. I like to use as large a brush as I can for blocking in and underpainting. I also have a few Princeton Art, Connoisseur white taklon, and Grumbacher bristellete. All are low-to-medium priced and all are synthetic.

The ProStroke are the stiffest and perform most like real bristle. The others behave more like sable. I use mostly filberts and some flats. I have a couple of rounds, but they are barely used.

Debra
Debra Spinks Art on Facebook My Art Blog WCAAPOI
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2004, 10:52 PM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einion
....... or Escoda over W&N's Series 7 which are too expensive and not as consistent as they used to be.
Einion

I started painting with Watercolors, I still do that, and I swear by my Escoda 1212 series. they are just so good.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

It does come down to personal preference. I have a set of brushes that have no name so I guess they were cheapies but they are brilliant. I can't remember where I got them from any more as I would like to replace them soon. My preference is for soft brushes. I rarely use bristles.

My advice is buy and try. It is all very well to get suggestions from painters but you may not like the consensus.
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Corpus Christi Texas

Hails from United States

I prefer bristles for most of my work, but for details I use small Princeton brushes; they are excellent, hold their shape well, and are not too expensive.

Jo
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Guadalajara, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

I have found that in deciding on brushes not only is Acrylic to be considered, but how you paint is an important point. I do a lot of glazing and use soft brushes, which offer better control over the very liquid mix. I take good care of my soft brushes and they have been around for years. They are Russian sable I bought under a promotional sale I believe was at Dick Blick. These brushes are intended for watercolor work....jerry