WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 07:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada
World Watercolour Day

Today I received newsletter from the local gallery, announcing that November 23rd is "World Watercolour Day". It will be celebrated here with an art show by a local, "nationally celebrated artist"... who happens to be my teacher.

'sup wit dat?

Anyone know about this, and do I get the day off work?

And if yes, how do we celebrate it here at WC?

Chris

"When art critics get together they talk about Form and Structure and Meaning. When artists get together they talk about where you can buy cheap turpentine." Pablo Picasso
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Rod

Re: World Watercolour Day

Han't heard of that anniversary day , did a search but revealed nothing

Rod
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 08:31 PM
A WC! Legend
The beautiful" Kawartha Lakes" area of Ontario

Hails from Canada

I would be interested in participating in what ever happens here on Wet Canvas.

There is a "where in the world photo shoot on a specific day twice a year " Maybe we could all paint a picture of where we are in the world on that date and submit it in a gallery thread

Just an idea and the thought that immediately came to mind.

Cheers,

Gail
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 08:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

Rod I found nothing either. I will call the gallery to see what they know.

Excellent idea Gail... anyone else interested? I know some who are for sure, so get out from under those bushels!

Chris

"When art critics get together they talk about Form and Structure and Meaning. When artists get together they talk about where you can buy cheap turpentine." Pablo Picasso
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 08:41 PM
A WC! Legend
The Rockies, Montana, USA

Hails from United States

I think, maybe, your gallery "invented" it...I find nothing ANYWHERE
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 09:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Chris: You may want to submit a new "Project Thread " as well.

Cheers,

Gail
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 09:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

hmmmmm... Have a look at this old thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/arch...ex.php/t-73084

I cut and pasted it:

Alan Cross
Hi Everyone today is World Watercolor Day....try to do something to promote our medium....do a special painting , tell someone about watercolors , today I have a workshop to do so I will be trying to get begginers hooked on watercolor. Have a great day!
Alan

daveshattuck
hi alan. i did not know what day this is so thanks for sharing. ill do my part
dave

coffee_girl3000
Never knew that, better get painting to celebrate! At least after I've finished all that coursework...

momsyward
I just went to my first watercolor open house today and I have another I'm going to tonight. My art teacher had one at her house and I bought 3 paintings. Yikes. I'll be broke before the next one. Then we have a new gallery in our little town and they have some wonderful paintings in there (watercolor). Can't wait for that one tonite.

Alan Cross
Hi Dave yes this is the first year....it will get better each year as more poeple hear about it....I found out when I got invited to be in an international art show in Monteral to spotlight the day....the grand opening was today don't know how it went as I live 4,000 miles away!!

Thats right Sarah painting would be a good way to mark the day!

Momsyward also going to a gallery opening is also a great way to celabrate the day!!
Alan

also found it mentioned here:

http://www.susieshort.net/2004-classes-workshops.html

FYI I googled "watercolor day" and found these.

Chris

Last edited by mr sandbanx : 10-20-2004 at 09:07 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Near Little Rock, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sandbanx
Today I received newsletter from the local gallery, announcing that November 23rd is "World Watercolour Day". It will be celebrated here with an art show by a local, "nationally celebrated artist"... who happens to be my teacher.

'sup wit dat?

Anyone know about this, and do I get the day off work?

And if yes, how do we celebrate it here at WC?

Chris

Hi Sandbanx,
I got this today from the Mid-Southern Watercolorists Society which that I am a member. Here goes the article...

NOVEMBER 23 :

WORLDWIDE WATERCOLOR DAY

More than any other medium, watercolor raises a tremendous enthousiasm amongst watercolor painters around the world. Over the years, associations, as well as groups and art societies have been formed to promote that transparemt medium and its versatile techniques through symposiums, workshops, exhibitions. The popularity has also been growing through the improvement of colors, papers, and tools. Now, many art galleries, magazines, conferences, symposiums feature artworks done in watercolor. More and more art collectors appreciate the artistic _expression, subtle as well as bold or virtuoso effects found in works created by watercolor artists.

Senor Alfredo Guati Rojo, (died in 2003) Mexican Watercolor Society’s President, exhibitions’s Curator of the Museo Nacional de la Acuarela in Coyoacan (Mexico) and Canadian Society of Painters in Water Colour Honorary Member initiated an event that will certainly become international soon : a worldwide watercolor day on November 23rd. In 2001, watercolour associations of 16 countries accepted to organize a special event to promote the medium. Up to now, these countries are : England, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Korea, Spain, USA, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New-Zealand, Panama, Russia, Sweden, Venezuela.

The Toronto based Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour, decided to organize a watercolor paintings exhibitions’ program during the whole month of November 2001 and suggested to their members to create a special painting on November 23rd for this first year’s celebration. Since 2002, many artists from the Société Canadienne de l’Aquarelle open their studio to the public to promote the medium and show their production. Galerie du Vieux Village in Boucherville (Québec) was the first art gallery in Eastern Canada who presented an international exhibition of small paintings in watercolor and the event added to the Worldwide Watercolor Day’s expansion. This year, the exhibition will be presented from November 21st until the end of January 2005 . http://galerieduvieuxvillage.com/fr/

Some other groups, associations, societies, art centers, art galleries will certainly follow this worldwide celebration during next years and the kind of events or exhibitions can be as creative as the talent shown in the artworks. This website includes many watercolor associations and societies

Watercolor Online http://watercolor-online.com/

If you want a short documentation text with the logo (for invitations or small poster), just ask to [email protected]

English : If you organize an event, a special day/activity/ exhibition including the WWD, please send the details, the country, the names of the artists and the webpage if any to Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour , Toronto

CSPWC - Mrs Shirley Barrie <[email protected]>

In French : Société Canadienne de l’Aquarelle http://aquarelle.ca/

SCA <[email protected]>

Vive l’Aquarelle,

- adaptation from a CSPWC’s communiqué (416) 533-5100

by Lorraine P. Dietrich, IAF, NEWS

http://aquarelle.ca/dietrich/deitrich.a.html
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-20-2004, 11:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

Thanks

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2004, 02:31 PM
A WC! Legend
the "Shallow South"

That's the Tuesday before Thanksgiving (Thursday) in the U.S. I mention this because many students will be traveling.
I might participate if WC/wc puts together a project. Perhaps by then I'll be set up to post results again, one way or another.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2004, 07:25 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

Looking forward to a World Water colour paint a thon.

Cheers,

Gail
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2004, 01:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

FYI

There is a show at the local Library this afternoon to celebrate this... I may sneak out of the office for an hour.