WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2004, 09:36 AM
East of the Mississippi, south of the Mason Dixon.

Hails from United States
Jonathan Talbot

I have to let you all know about this. I recently ordered Jonathan Talbots book about collage techniques and found it to be wonderful and very helpful. I decided to go ahead and order a tacking iron from him a couple of days ago. I e-mailed him and then tried to use pay-pal on his web site to pay but Pay-pal decided not to co-operate with me. Frustrated I called the toll free number on his website and he answered. I told him my problem and he already knew who I was....guess he was online at the time cause he had read my e-mail. He was so kind, he sent my iron out that day, allowing me to put a check into the mail, in good faith that they would cross in the post.
I encourage you all to read the book if you do collage and to give this fellow your business if you are so inclined. Nice people are harder to find these days.
sara
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2004, 10:55 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States
Re: Jonathan Talbot

This is not the first time I have heard a story like this about Mr Talbot! A woman had something very similar to say on an email newsgroup that I belong to, maybe a year or so ago. I believe that it was something along the lines of he picked up the phone and called her after she had asked a question via email. He wanted to ask her for more details so that he could be sure he was giving her the right information. Isn't it a nice thing when established artists take the time to encourage and help others? I bought his little book several years ago, and loved it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2004, 01:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks for the info Sara. Its always good to hear a success story. I'm off to check out the book
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2004, 01:25 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations

Jonathan almost invariably answers his own phone and emails -- he only occasionally has someone in to help him out at his studio and he is, indeed, a most delightful human being. If you ever have a chance to take one of his workshops (mostly on the East Coast nowadays as he's gotten older and doesn't like to spend his summers driving all over the U.S. in his overloaded-with-art-supplies van), please go to any lengths to do so! He isn't just generous on the phone; he is the most giving, supportive, organized, and generous instructor I have ever encountered in a workshop, a fine artist, and a genuinely nice man.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2004, 08:37 AM

Hails from United States

Just a little follow-up. I recieved my tacking iron the second day. Thats better turn around time than I've ever experienced, even with big companies.
You can believe I'll be taking one of Mr. Talbot's workshops if I get the chance.
Now to the studio to play!
sara
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2004, 08:57 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Rust Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Queen
Jonathan almost invariably answers his own phone and emails -- he only occasionally has someone in to help him out at his studio and he is, indeed, a most delightful human being. If you ever have a chance to take one of his workshops (mostly on the East Coast nowadays as he's gotten older and doesn't like to spend his summers driving all over the U.S. in his overloaded-with-art-supplies van), please go to any lengths to do so! He isn't just generous on the phone; he is the most giving, supportive, organized, and generous instructor I have ever encountered in a workshop, a fine artist, and a genuinely nice man.

I'd like to second RoseQueen's recommendation and praise. Taking a class with Jonathan is liking walking into a collage wonderland with a Wizard. He is a fount of inspiration, technical know-how and a generous instructor. His book is short, to the point and covers most of the bases and a must-keep by your side whilst learning.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast
Northern Ireland

I've considered buying Talbot's book, but have never been sure if I need the iron to be able to make use of his ideas, or if they can be adapted to traditional glue & stick collage. I'm not even sure I can buy the iron or use it in the UK (we have a different power supply to the USA), although I'm curious to try the technique. I think I'll do a bit of research at his website, but could any of you tell me more about the book, please? Will I find it useful even if I don't use the same method to attach my collage bits?

Thanks,
Jolie
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2004, 04:52 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie
I've considered buying Talbot's book, but have never been sure if I need the iron to be able to make use of his ideas, or if they can be adapted to traditional glue & stick collage. I'm not even sure I can buy the iron or use it in the UK (we have a different power supply to the USA), although I'm curious to try the technique. I think I'll do a bit of research at his website, but could any of you tell me more about the book, please? Will I find it useful even if I don't use the same method to attach my collage bits?

Thanks,
Jolie
You do need an iron for Jonathan's method, which is superior to the glue-and-stick method because you can move elements around until you have exactly the composition you want and because the gel will never dry out and let go like glue can. However, the tacking iron is commonly used in quilting, encaustic, and some other crafts, so you can probably find one with your voltage requirements. Jonathan's are made with a curve in the tip which makes tacking a bit easier, but I imagine you can either live without that or take a file to the iron you find if you want the curve. In fact, I imagine you could use a regular clothing iron without the steam feature;you'd just have to play around a bit to find the right setting. The book is terrific and quite inexpensive, but it is more of a 'how-to' book than for design or inspiration.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast
Northern Ireland

I actually have an encaustic iron, as well as some other encaustic tools! Woohoo! I'd completely forgotten, but common sense might have told me an iron is an iron is an iron. I'll have to get hold of the book and try the method. I do like the idea of being able to play with my composition before committing.

Thanks!
Jolie
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2004, 08:37 PM

Hails from United States

Just to add to what has already been said: Mr Talbot states in his book that an ordinary household iron is not really effective as it distributes the heat to too broad an area. One thing you will need for any iron you use is release paper as this keeps the heat source from sticking to the collage piece and also keeps the heat from burning/ruining the piece (paper or whatever). I do not know a thing about encaustic or the tools one uses so can't comment on whether or not these will work. You might want to go ahead and purchase the book and then play around a bit using the refrence of the book. I suspect if you look around you will be able to find a tacking iron that will work on your type of power.
sara