WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Show Off Your Work > Glass Works Showcase
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Arlington, WA

Hails from United States
R108 stringer beads - oink

Here is my first attempt working the "Raku" glass. I went to OCR yesterday and bought 2 bars of R108. I piled it in the vitrograph and made a bunch of stringer. These are all Spectrum 96 base glass. I think I like the ivory best.

Of course, I have a ton of stringer now, so keep your eye on the swap shop....
Attached Images

Be that person that your dog thinks you are.

My new website, it's a work in progress...just like me!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast
Michigan

Hails from United States
Re: R108 stringer beads - oink

Joanne, nice work!

Vitrograph ? - how high up do you have it? Are you pulling from underneath? I've been toying setting one up for fun.
thanks.

bead site
glassart site
eBay...
doggies!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Joanne, those are great. Thanks for giving us a look. I love the simplicity of the one on the left.
eBay
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Arlington, WA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwacie
Joanne, nice work!

Vitrograph ? - how high up do you have it? Are you pulling from underneath? I've been toying setting one up for fun.
thanks.

Thanks for the nice comments. I don't have it set up very high right now - only about 3' - 4' feet off the ground. I set it up to pull stringer in funky shapes for my fused glass work, but it works great for this, too! I am pulling from underneath - properly protected (kiln clothes and glasses) from hot glass, of course!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Redlands, CA

Hails from United States

Your beads are fabulous! But even more yummy is all that stringer in the background. I've never heard of a vitograph before, what is it? Obviously you can pull stringer from it but how??? Is this something the average beadmaker would be able to run from their workshop? And one more question, what or who, is OCR?

Thanks!

Lisa
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast
Suffolk, VA at the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassyeyed
Here is my first attempt working the "Raku" glass. I went to OCR yesterday and bought 2 bars of R108. I piled it in the vitrograph and made a bunch of stringer. These are all Spectrum 96 base glass. I think I like the ivory best.

Of course, I have a ton of stringer now, so keep your eye on the swap shop....

Those are really neat. On Moretti Ivory you get the black lines around the edges like mosaic green does on ivory so I've been using opal yellow, ouch $. Mayhaps I''ll look into the spectrum ivory.
Swamper in the 'Bay
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Stockton, CA

Hails from United States

Okay, I'll bite; what's a vitro-thing-a-ma-jig?? And jeeze-louise you sure have a lot of stringer; I had to take a second look, thought it was just straw used as a background. harhar
Nanette
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Arlington, WA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbq
Your beads are fabulous! But even more yummy is all that stringer in the background. I've never heard of a vitograph before, what is it? Obviously you can pull stringer from it but how??? Is this something the average beadmaker would be able to run from their workshop? And one more question, what or who, is OCR?

Thanks!

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa.
OCR is Olympic Color Rod. A vitorgraph is a way of rigging up a kiln set up fairly high off the ground. The kiln should be the kind with the removable bottom. You take the bottom off, and put the kiln on a piece of fiberboard with a hole in the middle. You set a crucible with a hole in the bottom inside the kiln, perched over the hole in the fiber board. (Boy, this is harder to describe than I thought!) The crucible is loaded with glass, and the kiln is cranked up to high. When the temps been hovering near 2000 for a bit, the melted glass will come through the hole in the bottom of the crucible. You can controll the flow to make thinner or thicker stringers. Anyone could probably do it if you have the right kind of kiln, fiber board, and a safe way of setting it all up.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Winnipeg

Hails from Canada

(Edit - about 8 people posted while I was writing!)

Wow, you really made the RIO (Reichenback Iris Orange R-108 from OCR - Olympic Colour Rods... more acronyms to confuse the innocent... ) colours do their thing! It's not easy, as I'm discovering - I can't get it to work, even though I've tried TWICE!! Great work - very inspiring!

The stringers are amazing. I've never thought of using a vitrograph to make normal lampworking stringer! (Not that I even have a kiln yet, but I'm planning to get a stacking-ring one, the AIM 84-BD, which I hear can work for that) I know there's vitrograph instructions on the Bullseye site:

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/pdfs/te...chNotes_02.pdf

It blew my mind when I first read it! Way more advanced techniques than I'm ready for at this point, but cool to know about.

-Heather

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae : 10-05-2004 at 02:33 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Arlington, WA

Hails from United States

That's funny, Heather, because last night, when I was making all the stringer, my husband and I were joking about how 'low tech' the whole process was. I think anyone can do it - if you have the right kiln. I'm using terra cotta flower pots for crucibles for goodness sake! They crack a lot, but they're so cheap, they're disposable. When I'm done with them, they make really nice yard art!

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Orlando, Florida

Hails from United States

Joanne,

Your beads are all so gorgeous. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong, but all I can get is a dull greyish green, or dark burnt umber. I'm working on a Lynx and OxyBox, and I know that others out there are using the same set up and getting good results. I'm frustrated, but I don't want to give up becuase I just LOVE the "right" results and I want to get there.

Becky
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Winnipeg

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassyeyed
That's funny, Heather, because last night, when I was making all the stringer, my husband and I were joking about how 'low tech' the whole process was. I think anyone can do it - if you have the right kiln. I'm using terra cotta flower pots for crucibles for goodness sake! They crack a lot, but they're so cheap, they're disposable. When I'm done with them, they make really nice yard art!

It sounds like you're using the same method described on the Bullseye site. Cool! But even though it's "low-tech" in a way, you would (I imagine!) need a fair amount of knowledge of kilns and glass properties, a good versatile studio set-up, safety gear for the arms and hands, helpers, the right glass in the right form, etc. Something we all aspire to, but not something that most newbies have, for sure! Vitrigraphing is yet another thing for me to dream of (and plan for!) for the future. I'd LOVE to see what else you do with your vitrigraph - fusing projects, glass nests, etc?? It's super-neat. Thanks again!

-Heather
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2004, 10:45 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Philadelphia, PA, longing for sunny México

Hails from United States

That is extremely cool, but I am waaay too clumsy to even be allowed *near* a setup like that.

Barb

My website
Happiness is opening your kiln in the morning and finding a bead you would've bought if you were still buying...
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Kentucky

Hails from United States

What kind of effects are you getting in the kiln ? I was wondering about that since you would have a constant temperature during the kiln firing and wouldn't have opportunity to use the "cold" brass marver like you do when you are using a torch
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Arlington, WA

Hails from United States
Red face Re: R108 stringer beads - oink

I'm such a ditz. Re-reading this thread I see that over and over I typed vitrOgraph. It's a vitrIgraph...with an i not an o. What a stupod mostake...O'm so embarrassed. What shall O blame ot on? Oh, O know, the i on my keyboard os broken.