WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2004, 03:15 AM
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hails from Scotland
Piping with acrylics

Hi,
I'm totally new to acrylics (or any other medium for that matter!), and I was wondering what I could use to create a sort of "piping" effect to represent, say, a flower stalk, or round a leaf, and how I would go about it.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Great site this! I've been lurking here for a while and reading all sorts of useful stuff.

Susan
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2004, 04:45 AM
A Local Legend
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Piping with acrylics

well that one's easy! Your'e asking a cake decorator! Use a piping bag and nozzle..you'll need some impasto gel or similar to thicken the texture yet make it smooth..(and keep this stuff separate from your food )I imagine any squeezie bottle (like a mustard one) would do at a pinch..I hear PVA glue works as a medium but I've yet to try it..
you could also try straight from the tube, use an OLD cap of a previous tube, poke a hole in and away you go..
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2004, 04:53 AM
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Thanks! that sounds simple enough. (So did painting with acrylics though ). I'll have a look in the art shop for impasto gel, thanks.

I've already got a botched sunset which I intend to gesso over - thanks to advice on this forum - and I've quickly moved on to doing an abstract flower picture which is turning out okay except for one thing....... Do you need to leave a space round paintings so that there's enough border to frame afterwards? (Now that must be a REAL beginner's question)

I'm assuming you do need to. Would an inch be wide enough for most purposes?

Susan
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2004, 05:00 AM
A Local Legend
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

I paint almost exclusively on stretched canvas now, which needs no frame..
If you're talking paper, yes leave (or paint past) a margin..as a guide, for my Coloured pencil work I would leave at least 1 & 1/2" to 2" around or more..
the alternative is to buy canvas on board (so it's rigid and is it's own backing, and allow for the outside edge of about 1/4" to be covered up..then a frame or mount won't cover anything important to your painting.
Onceyou're more confident in the medium and yourself, you should try some stretched canvas( they are a bit like a square kite! ..wooden skeleton frame with canvas wrapped around..)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarves57
I'll have a look in the art shop for impasto gel, thanks.
If you live in the USA, or anywhere near a Walmart store, look in their craft department for small squeeze bottles of acrylics, including pearlescent colors. I use these for a variety of art and craft projects where the bead left by the nozzle is effective - for example: in writing script text on something.

Alternatively, the paint from the nozzle can be brushed flat if that is desired - ie; used just as you would with paint bought in tubes or jars.

Last edited by Enchanted : 10-04-2004 at 09:34 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxas
If you live in the USA, or anywhere near a Walmart store, look in their craft department for small squeeze bottles of acrylics, including pearlescent colors.

I popped out to the shops this afternoon and found an impasto gel medium and also another tube of stuff called Liquithick gell epaississant.... whatever that is! I'll be settling down to try a few experiments with these two and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks to all for the tips and advice.