WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States
Dragon Dancing WIP

This will be my first WIP. Lets hope it works out ok. This is a 15x20 on Hot Press illustration board. Attached here is the original sketch and the transferred drawing on the board. Oh, and a small shot of me working out the knotwork sketch.

Michelle
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: Dragon Dancing WIP

More pictures ( I had a couple of days' work done on this before I was able to upload these, so bear with me.) Here are the inked drawing,in waterproof india ink, a detail and the grey underpainting in watercolors.
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

OK, the rest of the ones I have done up to this point. Here I've started the watercolor work. It was going very slowly. I'm not sure why, because I was enjoying it, but I was being very hesitant with my watercolors on this painting.

Next, I have a detail of the woman. I wasn't very happy with the way her face was turning out, and I was getting a little frustrated.

So I erased down the watercolors in the highlight areas on the woman, and started playing with the colored pencils. This really helped, and I'm starting to feel much happier with the painting at this point.

And a detail of the dragon at this point. I'm making this a white dragon, but am putting a lot of colors into it, trying to balance the warm and cool colors to make it more vibrant than just a "plain" white dragon.

And now I'm off to actually work on the painting some more!

Michelle
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2004, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

This is gorgeous!

I esspeciall like the use of colors and how your using so many diferent colors on the white dragon.. it will really make him pop out. I can't wait to see more!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2004, 06:50 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portsmouth, England

Hails from United Kingdom

This is looking wonderful already. I too am looking forward to the final version. I have to say that the underpainting stage looked very interesting, like a painting of a sculpture!

Mary

My Ebay
My Artbyus
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2004, 07:35 AM
Madrid

Hails from Spain

Cool! great WIP, now I'm gonna have to stick around to see how it developes! *pulling a chair*

Blog
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hails from United States

Beautiful ...you should do a tutorial on fabric folds! Makes me want to go buy some india ink as well.. One question - how come with all the knotwork going on you didn't put it in the project?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2004, 10:26 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Omoshiroi, ne?

Hails from Canada

Wow - this is great - her dress is really nice, you've got a lot of movement in here. I love all the little knotwork touches. The dragon is awesome! Hmmm.... I'm trying to find something to crit here - can't find anything. Looks perfect - I can hardly wait to see this done.

Do you paint the ink on with a brush? It doesn't make the surface buckle? Sorry, I'm not the familiar with the properties of illustration board. Thanks for posting this in stages!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryem
This is looking wonderful already. I too am looking forward to the final version. I have to say that the underpainting stage looked very interesting, like a painting of a sculpture!

Mary

Thanks. You know, when I was working at that stage I was thinking that I should plan a piece to be finished in that method. It's got a really interesting look to it. And the paper just slightly resists absorbing the color, so it sits on the paper with an interesting texture. It's definitely something worth playing with more.

Michelle
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyKat
Beautiful ...you should do a tutorial on fabric folds! Makes me want to go buy some india ink as well.. One question - how come with all the knotwork going on you didn't put it in the project?

That's a fair question.

I had planned on doing this as a WIP since I started the sketch. Actually, the last three pieces I finished were supposed to be WIPs, but because I'm using a camera that isn't mine, things were difficult to schedule. So, I decided that I would go ahead and do this one as a WIP. (Plus, I was wanting to upload all the pics quickly so I could get back to work on the painting last night, and didn't want to take the time to look up how to submit it to the project. But don't tell anyone.

But I have a couple of ideas that I want to do with knotwork that are a little different from what I usually do, and want to use one of those for the project. I thought it would make me work harder to come up with something good if I didn't use something I already had in the works.

Thanks for asking.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicockatoo

Do you paint the ink on with a brush? It doesn't make the surface buckle? Sorry, I'm not the familiar with the properties of illustration board. Thanks for posting this in stages!

The illustration board is very thick, it had a stiff backing attached to the paper, and is designed to not buckle. Though it DOES tend to warp into a curve, I just stick some books on top of it when it's done and it flattens right out. It's probably about 1/16" to 1/8" thick.

I draw the really delicate lines with a pen. I use technical pens in different sizes (the kind you buy filled with ink, not the refillable ones. I used to have a set of those, but they are so hard to clean and refill that they aren't worth the trouble). I only use the pens with "pigment ink" because it's waterproof and does not fade or bleed. Once I have the tiny details inked in, I'll go in with a brush and fill in the larger areas. The ink I use is pretty thick and not watery, so it would be useable even on a piece of sturdy bristol or watercolor paper without a problem.

Michelle
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparker
That's a fair question.

I had planned on doing this as a WIP since I started the sketch. Actually, the last three pieces I finished were supposed to be WIPs, but because I'm using a camera that isn't mine, things were difficult to schedule.

Heh.. I'm in the same boat with the whole using someone else's camera situation. I know how fun that can be.

I'm really looking forward to whatever future work you post..you are quite the source of inspiration for me. I'm going to try some hot press paper for my next piece.. something larger as well. Do you ever work with cold press? I ask because I'm thinking detail work would be much easier on hot press..do you find this to be true?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2004, 05:51 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

Lazycat,

The camera thing really is annoying. And I'm using someone else's scanner, too. Luckily they live in the same apartment complex that I live in.

As for the Hot-press/Cold press issue, I can only tell you what works for me. Everything I've ever heard or read says don't use hot-press for watercolor or for colored pencil. And I've been using it for both in combination. I did the Shining Light cat piece on Cold-Press and found that too much of the paper texture was showing through the colored pencil work for my tastes. I think it breaks up the flow of the lines too much. It was okay on that one, because the cat was fuzzy, but it still bothered me a little while working.

The Hot-Press takes a little getting used to with the watercolors because it puddles slightly rather than soaking into the paper, which I think gives the colors a lovely mottled look. And they say you can't get as many layers of colored pencil onto it either, but when the CPs stops adhering, I figure I'm pretty close to finishing anyway, finish up what I can, hit it with a layer of fixative, and touch in those last highlights and shadows that I couldn't get to stick before.

I was also told to never make a graphite drawing with a mechanical pencil, and that's the only thing I can stand to work with. Anything else I'm sharpening more than I'm drawing. So I seem to work backwards from everyone else.

On a related note, I found a small block of hot-press watercolor paper on my last Hobby Lobby trip in the discontinued section. It was like 1/3 the usual price and I snapped it up. I'm eager to see how it handles, but haven't come up with any small designs that I want to do on it yet.

Gosh, I can ramble on a bit, can't I?

Michelle
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2004, 06:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
South Lancaster, Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada

Lovely piece. I can't add anything to what others have said.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Portland, OR

very nice work.. great movement and deatail.. i like it alot.. looks like you have very refined drawing skills !! and a creative imagination to go with them..
this is one of those pieces i see and i am like how come i can't come up with creative stuff like this???

very cool

can't wait to see it finished..

~carol