WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Show Off Your Work > Glass Works Showcase
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States
Hot Hot Hot!!!

i have got to watch the weather forecast more closely. after weeks of inlaws, remodeling, painting, moving kids to college, i found myself with a free weekend with nothing to do. so i decided to fire up the studio and blow some glass. well i did fire it up and i did blow some glass, but boy was it hot. we had a warm front move in on friday, so on saturday and sunday it was in the mid 80's outside. that does not seem that warm, but when the cool air you are bringing into the studio is at 80, it does not cool things down very much. by the end of the blowing session, it was about 120 in the studio, and much hotter in front of the glory hole. i have heard from others that they blow in temperature conditions even hotter, but i do not do very well when it is that hot. i did manage to make some pieces, but i never got in the groove. i would make a few pieces, then shut down the glory hole for about 30 minutes to cool off, then turn the glory hole back on and make a couple more pieces. that is what is nice about having a pilot light burner, i can just turn the glory hole on and off like a light bulb. here is a cylinder i made on saturday. it isn't as cylindrical as i wanted, but then i was so hot its good that i could make anything. you can't see it very well, but there is a stripe of rainbow dichroic near the black.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Immortalized
Round Rock, TX

Hails from United States
Re: Hot Hot Hot!!!

Hey Mark! That is very pretty!! I finally got to "know" the heat from the glory hole and crucible while I was at Glass Stock!! It was HOT!!!!! I had fun though but I don't think that is something I would want to do for a living though! I can now say I made a paperweight, ugly as it is!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 10:47 AM
A Local Legend
The Carolinas

Hails from United States

BEAUTIFUL MARK!
And not an easy design to do I'm guessing.
I'll be demanding and say....I would love some pics of you working outside!
I'll admit I'm asking alot, but there is nothing better than glassblowing pics, esp. from your studio.
So glad you posted, keep us up to date.
love and pokes in the sides,
Beth
"In the South, the breeze blows softer...neighbors are friendlier, nosier, and more talkative. (By contrast with the Yankee, the Southerner never uses one word when ten or twenty will do)...This is a different place. Our way of thinking is different, as are our ways of seeing, laughing, singing, eating, meeting and parting. Nothing about us is quite the same as in the country to the north and west. What we carry in our memories is different too, and that may explain everything else." --Charles Kuralt in "Southerners: Portrait of a People"
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Enthusiast
Singapore

Hails from United Kingdom

That is way way too good to be used for kitchen utensils ! Fiona
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 10:58 AM
A Local Legend
The Villages, FL

Hails from United States

I hear you on the heat! And I only have a torch & kiln going!

Winter can't come soon enough for me!

Great design Mark!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Orlando, Florida

Hails from United States

Mark,

Great colors and pattern. I do have one question though. I've often wondered this, so maybe you can answer it. Why do they call it a Glory Hole? Shouldn't they call it a Hell Hole instead?

Becky
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyArowana

I have to agree with Fiona's comment, very pretty, I would not be using it for utensils, floating flowers or candles maybe, but NOT anything utilitarian, it just looks to preciouse for that Could you send some of that heat up here, we are having a very cold fall, early and very cold. I have always loved September for its beautiful warm days, NOT THIS YEAR - Beautiful work, despite your adverse situation

my ebay
http://www.glassartists.org/Gal24027..._s_Gallery.asp
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast
MA

Mark,

That's really beautiful and I agree with the comments that it is too pretty for kitchen tools.

I don't know how you do it. I think I would faint from that heat.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Sitka, Alaska

Hails from United States

I disagree about it being too pretty for the kitchen!!!!! If I had "that" in my kitchen holding my utensils.....well, I'd have to bake you a choclate cream pie as a thank you!!!!
Glad to see you back at work and sharing your art.

FiredDesires Website

Ebay Auction Link
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast
Davenport, FL

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyArowana

That would hold a helluva margarita!

Love the colors Mark, as usual.................
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

thanks for your kind comments. i do not know why it is called a glory hole, it just is. that name has been a glassblowing term for many years. you will find that the sex industry has also taken the name over to mean something quite different, so be careful if you do a keyword search. OMG!!!!! anyway, back to earth, i make stuff like that all the time so it isn't any big thing. i made a napkin holder, a pot scrubber holder, a spoon holder, q tip holders, all sorts of things for the home. i even made a bubble vase tooth brush holder. i figure that i need something for these functions. this way i don't have to buy it and it is kind of nice looking as well. i made a lot of stuff last weekend, and i will try to get around to posting some more. i just destroyed over 100 pieces because i did not have room for them any more. it was kind of good for the soul to free myself from my creations, kind of like when frankenstein freed himself from his monster.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 01:27 PM

Hails from United States

Mark, you silly duck - I bet you anything that you could have had a "fire" sale (pun very much intended) right here on WC and got rid of all that glass and made a few buckos in the process. Such a shame that you destroyed them, although it's nice that you had a soul cleansing as a result.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Michigan

Hails from United States

Ohhh Mark!!!! your broke all those pieces?? UGH! List those puppies for sale before you do that again...ya bout made me spit my soda all over my keyboard when I read that!

I love your work! Very pretty!
My Ebay
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2004, 05:18 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
LA

Hails from United States

Gorgeous work, Mark, as usual!! Thanks for showing, and I think it's a good use of kitchen tools...they get little use anymore in my kitchen.
Glory Hole is a term descriptive of the Glory of God..Shekina Glory, which is shiny stuff. Remember when Moses' face shone after he hung around God, and he had to cover it so the people wouldn't freak out? Some of God's Shekina Glory was on Moses...shiny stuff, like fire. And there's a lot of it in Heaven around His throne, too...can't wait to see it, and all that GLASS reflecting it..Love, Helen
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2004, 06:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
St. Paul, MN

Hails from United States

thanks for your comments. i will try to post more photos soon. we will not be blowing this weekend as it is the last renfest and we are going. we are going to have an open studio in a few weeks, so if you live in or near the minneapolis/st. paul area, and would like to come, please PM me. it will probably be on october 16th from 9am to 2 pm.