WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 10:08 AM
A WC! Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States
Framing

I am going to frame school. Its a 4 day course and I am excited beyond belief...one reason is- its 4 hours from home and I am leaving the husband and kids behind. LOL, I am sad to leave my children for 4 nights but come on, its never happened before and it will probably not happen again for a really long time.

I am excited about learning all the proper techniques of framing and hopefully saving some $$$ in the long run....not only that our local framer has retired and I am thinking of framing for others as well. A little busness would be very nice indeed.

Do yall frame your own stuff or get it framed by others?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 10:21 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Framing

Good for you ......... this is a great chance for you to learn all about it. I would love to be able to do it myself but I haven't got a clue about it!
Good Luck!

Anne
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Iceland

Hails from Iceland

That´s one of many things on my to-do list, to learn how to frame myself, as it is usually too expancive to buy it from others...enjoy it
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 10:27 AM
A Local Legend

I can't believe they actually have a course on framing.
To commit a crime is bad enough, but to pin it on soeone else-that's just terrible!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Wales

Hails from Wales

I have made some frames, I am sure its easy enough if you have the right tools. As I have done a fair bit of woodwork I thought it would be easy enough, but getting the mitres right took ages!
I am still looking for a source of the mouldings for a reasonable price - the stuff I have bought made me think it might be cheaper to get them made

Nick

My webpage

"A friend is someone with whom you can dare to be yourself"
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 11:33 AM
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Good luck Angie I hope you enjoy the course you will have to tell us all about it when you return. I have tried framing some of my art work myself but it wasn't that brilliant so I bought my husband a picture framing book instead hoping he would get the hint it's still on the bookshelf gathering dust perhaps I should twist his arm up his back Have yourself a great time. Just think of that welcome home from the little ones when you return.

Eileen.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Land of Rain

Hails from United States

I'm a pretty good framer, I just don't work well with wood.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast
Near Toronto, originally from Essex, UK

Hails from Canada

Making the frames is one thing, making the matts is quite another. I hope they will be teaching all about both. Without a proper matt-cutter making your own is a horrendous chore and in my own experience leaves one with a very non-professional product.

Glenn
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Corpus Christi Texas

Hails from United States

[email protected]!

I came to the forum today to post a question about framing--how, and how much does it save to do your own, and what's the least expensive way if you don't build your own frames...

it seems to be a problem for many of us.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast
Indianapolis

Hails from United States

Angie, is that the APFA course? I'd be interested in hearing about it, if so. (I've never found a framing forum on WC. Where does that kind of info go?) I've never gotten into doing my own framing, because it's so cheap and easy to just order frames from Graphik Dimensions. (http://pictureframes.com But my husband has access to a scene shop, and keeps suggesting we start doing some framing, so maybe it's in our future.

Noma
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Guadalajara, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Prior to moving to Mexico, I operated my own Art Gallery in the Smoky Mountains and framing was a steady income. Have no plans or time to go to school? So start on your own. You will need a business permit because framing supply houses are wholesale and only sell to other businesses. So go file a DBA (doing business as) under a business name. The suppliers offer a big line of profiles and most offer chop services, where they cut the frame to fit your picture size and ship you the 4 pieces for you to put together. If you get serious abount framing, you wil want a power saw to cut your own frames. A simple matt cutter at under $100.00 will get you started with matts. A local shop can cut your glass, I always hated to cut glass.. Stay with chop service until you decide that framing is for you. The key to really doing a good job is being able to select profiles and color matts that enhance the artwork. In a lot of areas, just framing for other artists can be a good way to go. Here in Mexico, I buy my mouldings from Home Depot and since the mouldings are intended for wall decor, I have to tack and glue thin wood strips to the back as a fit for the painting. I cut with a back saw and a mitre box. Very old fashioned...jerry
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 05:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States

Thanks Anne and hoski!
[email protected]
Nick maybe I will find cheaper mouldings sources for us all, wouldnt that be great.
Eileen tell em no dinner til the framing begins
SJ, I figure the same will be true for me
Glenn - yes, cutting mats is involved with the classes.
Yup Joa.
Noma, here is the link http://www.pictureframingschool.com/Index.htm I will give you the story when I get back.
Thanks for sharing Jerry, not a thing wrong with old fashioned!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2004, 03:24 AM
Wales

Hails from Wales

Be glad to hear about how you get on.
Is a matt what we call a mount in the uk? I have a great mount cutter, got it on ebay and it has paid for itself in no time, have done lots and still on the first blade.
Using a normal moulding for a frame, and putting a square section strip on the back seems a great idea. I do not have a the V nailer for the frames, this might be a good investment, I have been drilling a hole just undersize, and nailing them, after clamping with glue.

I have not done any with glass in, I had enough trouble cutting a bit for the greenhouse, fortunately I have only framed oils up to now.

Nick

My webpage

"A friend is someone with whom you can dare to be yourself"
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Wagga Wagga NSW

Hails from Australia

Goodonya (Aussie talk..LOL) Angie!!

I don't frame my work anymore......I only use gallery wrapped canvases and sell as is......kinda got sick of hearing things like..... I love that painting but the frame wouldn't go with my furniture! lol

I did, however, do a lot of furniture restoration at one time and absolutely loved working with wood and making it glow again. I think the idea of framing for others is a good one......a nice little family business....never hurts an artist to have extra income during the slow times.

Enjoy your time away......look at it as a little luxury I'm sure you've earned.

Kind regards

Vicki
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Guadalajara, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Yes, having a sideline for the slow periods can make a big difference. I know of artists that have survived by adding framing and/or print production (giclee) to their art sales. Those dry periods can kill us...in this business you really need to plan or put away for the rainy day. I enjoy doing framing, especially so if it is one of my own sold works......jerry