WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Wearable Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 06:27 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Germany
S&T Wednesday, August 8, 2004

Hi everybody!

I'm having fun making bangle-wannabes... Here are two more, using test beads and wonkies:
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast
Beautiful Southern Coast of Maine

Hails from United States
Re: S&T Wednesday, August 8, 2004

Beautiful, Andee. They look neither wonky, nor test-beadish!

In loving memory of TJ, 2/28/85-5/9/04. We'll never forget your beautiful smile.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Lord of the Arts
Tilburg, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Andee - I don't see any wonkies. They are both beautiful bracelets. Makes me not wanna post my little bracelet and earrings.

The focal beads are dented lentils made with champagne glass with goldstone frit inside, then just accent beads in transparent grass green and transparent medium topaz. Strung with czech glass.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
Louisville

Hails from United States

Andee, those are so pretty, I especially like the red and green one. That center flower bead is beautiful. I really like these wanna'be bangles.

Sarah, do you have a mold that makes those dented lentils or do you do it by hand? That is such a great variation on lentils. I think the simple design of your bracelet and earrings accent the lentils perfectly.

Cup and Saucer,
Saucer and Cup.
Where does a hole go
When its filled up?

"Unknown"

Last edited by beclectic : 09-08-2004 at 09:33 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 10:11 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Windy City, IL

Hails from United States

Andee, they are both very pretty!

Sarah, those are quite cute beads! I like how you used them.

As for me, just some things from a lustre firing...maybe a pic later.

-Mary
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Berlin

Hails from Germany

Hi all!

Andee - lovely bracelets. That flowery bead is just cute.

Sarah - *drool*

After a weekend renovating and plastering my walls with something called wall paper I managed to make a little something

Vintage czech doublet stones, brass ox filigree and lever back earwires and vintage caramel colored czech druks.

Greetings from my utterly house-busy self.
Attached Images

My Gallery
My eBay auctions
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Lord of the Arts
Tilburg, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by beclectic
Andee, those are so pretty, I especially like the red and green one. That center flower bead is beautiful. I really like these wanna'be bangles.

Sarah, do you have a mold that makes those dented lentils or do you do it by hand? That is such a great variation on lentils. I think the simple design of your bracelet and earrings accent the lentils perfectly.

I have a CBS, then just heat up the edges and gently push them in at spots.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone.

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 11:53 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Germany

Thank you all for your nice words, again!

As for the wonkies - I somehow think that nearly all my beads are wonkies. I'm so used now to making hearts that I can't produce a proper round (i.e. donut shaped) bead anymore, they all get out of shape... The flower bead really is a test bead, tho, I tried getting the bubble in by just placing a dot of clear on top - that was before I went over to proper encase them. (Before that I used sheet glass for encasing flowers...)

Sarah - that set is very very pretty, and the lampwork is great!

Karen - wow, those earrings are formidable!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 01:36 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Germany

Here's another one - some stringerwork-tryouts (designs obviously borrowed from Corina! )
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 03:00 PM
A Local Legend
In a little cottage by the sea (Edmonds, WA)

Andee, these bangle wanna-be's are great! I especially like the black and white and silver one

Sarah, your pieces are wonderful - love the fall colors and wish I had some of that champagne glass to play with - what a nice color!

Great earrings Karen - did you just bend over part of the findings to hold the stone on? Never thought to try something like that.

Here is my sad sad attempt at something that was supposed to be cool. There is a necklace in all the magazines - that schooner hull necklace in silver pmc and black - love it. When I saw these coral sticks, I thought I could do something "inspired" by it. But the first try did not work out - I used fine soft flex to string the base but my beads are still to small to make it comfortable to pass the fireline through for the fringe - one pass is all I get and it's not enough. Plus I need more variety in beads. I'm only showing it so you guys can ooh and ah when it's really done and say "oh, that's MUCH better". Or maybe tell me to just give it up and find a new use for the coral sticks.

I don't know if some of you are this way... but sometimes when I get a really cool thing like these sticks, or a couple of Mary's ceramic beads... or a special stone... I hate to do anything with them in case it's the wrong thing. It's kind of like brand new paints and a fresh canvas. I can't tell you how many blank canvases I own that I just can't bring mysef to wreck. At least with beads I can unstring and try again... I guess that's why I bead and not paint anymore.

Pam

My Blog / My Etsy / My Website
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Pam, I think you're much too hard on yourself. You are, I think (not unlike myself), a perfectionist. That works to a point, but then it becomes a hindrance. Can't tell you how many unfinished projects I have because I'm afraid the finished product won't look like what I envisioned, or that someone will criticize it. I'm not an artist & anything creative that I do do (do do do do ) is a real struggle to bring forth (?, I'm not sure that's the term I want but I'm feeling linguistically challenged today).

You, on the other hand, are an artist. You have amazing creative talent and drive. Your color and design sense are phenominal. Have I boosted your ego enough? Now, have you tried drilling those coral sticks very gently under water with a slow spinning dremel? Perhaps you could get them a tiny bit larger so you can accomodate more passes through?

Andee, again, another winner!

Sarah, I've really enjoyed watching you master glass over the past year. You're doing a wonderful job. Can't wait until I can finally set up correctly to melt glass.

Karen, very nice!

In loving memory of TJ, 2/28/85-5/9/04. We'll never forget your beautiful smile.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 03:12 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Germany

Pam - it's looking very interesting already, I'm sure there will be lots of aaaahs and ooooohs and s when you're done!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueBetween
I don't know if some of you are this way... but sometimes when I get a really cool thing like these sticks, or a couple of Mary's ceramic beads... or a special stone... I hate to do anything with them in case it's the wrong thing.

I'm totally like that! I'm sort of paralized when I look at new purchases, whatever comes to my mind to do with them somehow seems not good enough... But at least there's not much waste apart from crimp beads, wire and time, luckily I can redo my pieces as often as needed!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 03:27 PM
A Local Legend
In a little cottage by the sea (Edmonds, WA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardensOnGlass
Pam, I think you're much too hard on yourself. You are, I think (not unlike myself), a perfectionist. That works to a point, but then it becomes a hindrance. Can't tell you how many unfinished projects I have because I'm afraid the finished product won't look like what I envisioned, or that someone will criticize it. I'm not an artist & anything creative that I do do (do do do do ) is a real struggle to bring forth (?, I'm not sure that's the term I want but I'm feeling linguistically challenged today).

You, on the other hand, are an artist. You have amazing creative talent and drive. Your color and design sense are phenominal. Have I boosted your ego enough? Now, have you tried drilling those coral sticks very gently under water with a slow spinning dremel? Perhaps you could get them a tiny bit larger so you can accomodate more passes through?

Thank you for the ego boost Lori <<<hugs>>> Though I don't see how you say the things you say about your work - your work is wonderful - though it's been awhile since you've posted anything, hasn't it???

Perfectionism certainly is not all it's cracked up to be - and I suppose I am - though I never think of myself that way. Good thing I have a stong dose of stubornness to go along with it I guess. Or maybe not? Ug. It is what it is, right?

I was thinking it would be nice to drill a second hole in the sticks - about half way down. But then we come back to my fear of power tools and the fact that I can't seem to locate a drill bit small enough. I bought a little set of drill bits but they are all too big. I would love it if someone could just point me to a link and tell me what I need to purchase. I am so power-tool challenged. Hubby says we have a hand held dremel thing. That's as far as I am there. And do you always hold things under water when you drill?

Thanks again Lori

My Blog / My Etsy / My Website
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I keep meaning to post pictures, but I never get around to it. Avoidance is a wonderful thing . If I don't post, there won't be criticism. Not that anyone here ever criticizes in a negative way & I'm not saying I'll be criticized either. It's a confidence thing. Thankfully, this forum is constructive and supportive, ALWAYS!

OK, on to tools. I use my Dremel with a flex-shaft. I have it hanging from a jewelers' thing (very descriptive word, I know), sort of like the things that IV bags hang from, but it has just one hook & it's screwed to my work bench. I like the flex-shaft because mostly I use it to polish the sterling solder I use to solder around the edges of my stained glass pins (with polishing compound & a 1" muslin buffing wheel-saves tons of time & most especially, my right shoulder). (Jen, Kerensamere, do you use one to polish your jewelry?) I like the flex-shaft because I feel like I can hold closer to the bit, I hold my pencil or pen close to the tip, so this allows me the same feeling. It's also lighter weight than holding the actual dremel in your hand.

However, I also use it to drill holes in the stained glass & I've used it to clean bead release out of lampworked beads. I fill a pyrex bowl with enough water to cover what I'm working on, plus a little bit. With beads, you can hold them in one hand, close to the surface of the water. I have a multi speed Dremel & use it on about a 1 (slow) to clean the beads. I use the long, pointy, diamond coated bit that comes with the hand reamer (has 3 interchangable bits that store inside of it). I'll post a picture later if my husband brings the camera home from work.

I also use it to drill holes in the stained glass using either a diamond coated core bit or a diamond coated twist drill bit. Will also post pictures of those when I can. I've purchased my diamond bits from a local jewelry supplier, but I know they have them in the Rio catalog. I like the flex shaft for this as well, so the dremel isn't close to the water. I'm sure I could get lit up if the handpiece ended up submerged in the water, but I feel like I have more control with the handpiece. I'll flip through the Rio catalog to find the item numbers. I'm not sure what type of bit you'd use to drill through coral, though Barrie may have some thoughts about that. I'll see if I can find anything in the Rio catalog that indicates what bits are for what. They also have a wide assortment of sizes.

I have faith in you! If you can light propane and oxygen & melt glass, you can overcome your electric tool fear to use a Dremel.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Immortalized
Aldergrove, B.C.

Hails from Canada

I'm sneaking in real quick while my grnaddaughter is cuddling the cat (I have mere moments, I'm sure!). Here's a piece I just finished for a customer, it's a Biwa pearl, with three ametrines, on sterling silver. There's a tube at the back (that one of the ametrines balances on, that the chain or cord goes through. There were three small blemishes onthe pearl, so I drilled tiny holes, and affixed wires with bals on the end to 'hide' the icky parts! This is a custom order, I don't usually do stuff like this - quite the challenge!!!

I'll be back later to comment on everyone else's stuff, the cat's run out of patience!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Barrie : 09-08-2004 at 05:18 PM.