Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Does anybody streach their own canvases?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    jbitzel

I heard its cheaper, and the way it is now I buy cheap prestreached and primed. If its easy, good quality for cheap, and rewarding, I might try my hand at it.

My Artwork- more comming soon!
        My Yahoo Group[/URL]

idahogirl

I voted “no”. I can purchase prestretched, preprimed canvas for less than what it would cost me to do it myself and the time could be better spent painting. The only exception I would make is if I wanted a non standard size for a particular composition or if, for some reason, I wanted to start with a raw canvas…

Dee

Just Crystal

i would really love to learn how. It seems I am always wanting to paint weird sized paintings, and I can never find them, or at least I sure do have a hell of a time!

C&C more than welcome. If you know something I don't, PLEASE tell me! Lord knows I need the help!

theIsland

Most of the time, yes. It’s cheap and easy, and it’s more convenient to store stretcher strips and rolls of canvas than pre-stretched canvases. I like being able to sand down imperfections in the wood before putting on the canvas. So often pre-made canvases have annoying little bumps and splinters on them because the manufacturer doesn’t sand the wood enough.

I also like to continue the paint around the sides of the painting, so streching the canvas myself makes that a lot easier and more effective. I start painting on an unstretched canvas, then stretch it halfway through. The edges don’t get touched again, so they’re sort of a record of the layers of the finished painting.

Noma

mame

Unless you’re an art star and have assistants to do it for you, eventually if/when Art becomes a serious vocation/avocation, ya gotta become proficient at “the craft” and all that includes- including stretching a canvas. It contributes to the aesthetic/”finished” appearance of the work. The cost is relative…….

It just takes practice :)
                        There are a ton of books with visuals one can buy or peruse at your local library and a gazillion step-by-step instructions with visuals on the net.

Then…..maybe some day you can hire some hungry college kid to do it for you.

I mostly stretch my own, sometime buy pre-stretched. Cheap ones sometimes warp. Even not so cheap. I’ve had that happen. :)

Blumoon
                        https://www.deborah-robinson.com/fine-art/
                        https://www.facebook.com/DeborahRobinsonArtist/
                        "Art is an outsider, a gypsy over the face of the earth." ~ Robert Henri

jbitzel

Cheap ones sometimes warp. Even not so cheap. I’ve had that happen. :)

That is what I am afraid of, I want to buy michaels brand and I like 2 11×14 for $6.99. But not if they are going to warp, I mean I am no Michaelangelo but you never know when your 3rd great grandchildren might hang your painting on their wall. If that happens I would like them to have a nice presentation. I though that kiln dried wood was all the same but does the cheaper wood warp, do the generic brands warp? :confused:

My Yahoo Group[/URL]

Marty C

i would really love to learn how. It seems I am always wanting to paint weird sized paintings, and I can never find them, or at least I sure do have a hell of a time!

I have written an article on Making a stretched canvas[/URL] which is in the Studio Tips forum.
                                I very much enjoy making my own, I can make any size I want (and I have made some BIG ones), The canvas is high quality and the cost is quite low considering the better quality materials.
                                There is added satisfaction in the finished painting knowing the whole thing from raw materials to hanging painting is all my own work.

devoncrutcher

:) [FONT=Times New Roman]I like to stretch my own canvases, for one the size of the panel progects the image, two for permanancy reasons, pre-stretched have inferior staples and cheap material, I prefer a 11oz atleast, can be mixed duck and synthetic with medium texture for holding modeling well. I prefer heavey duty bars for tight stretching and strength which they call a gallery wrap so if need be i dont have to frame to show, but most importantly to have that extra distance between painting and end of canvas in case I choose to ship unframed, it leaves plenty of room for restretching, I like to make my gesso as pure as possible to protect my whites from the cloth up.[/FONT]

Since discovering how thoroughly delightful it is to paint with acrylics on watercolor paper, I no longer use canvas.

C&C is welcome.
                                    Richard

coherent

Until recently I bought pre-stretched canvas or made canvas on masonite pannels. I wanted some other than standard sizes so ordered and received a bunch of stretcher bars in various sizes from ASW online… They were very cheap per pair. I am a woodworker so is seemed like a logical choice, and I already had the air stapler etc. Price wise, I can make a canvas for about 1/4 or less than the local craft or art store sells them for, so it is cost effective. I like the odd sizes and the fact I can say I did it myself.
                                        -marc

jbitzel

I just want to know if I should be afraid of cheap brands warping or if anyone has experience with particular brands?

My Yahoo Group[/URL]

theIsland

The only time I’ve had a problem with warping is with ultra cheap pre-stretched canvases where the thickness of the stretcher strips was too light for the distance spanned, and no cross bracing was used. So don’t exceed the strength of the bar, and you should be fine. Any good guide to stretching canvas should give you an idea of the required strip weight vs. canvas size and weight, and when to use cross bars.

If you’re not doing more than twenty or thirty canvases, you might find it more economical to just continue buying them pre-stretched, especially if you can order them someplace cheap like Curry’s. Good canvas pliers can be expensive (the lighter the weight the better, and get padded handles!), and there’s the cost of a staple gun, too. I’ll probably do over 100 canvases this year, so for me, the savings are huge if I stretch my own. But if I was only doing a few canvases a year, I think I’d just buy them pre-rolled.

Noma

edzstudios

I stretch my own canvases for large or oddly shaped pieces, but for a lot of my work I find Curry’s “heavy duty gallery wrap” pre-stretched canvasses to be an incredible bargain as well as good quality – they come on the heavy duty stretcher bars, stretched gallery-wrap style. I just got an order of 27 canvasses, ranging in size from 12×12 to 24×24 (I like squares!) and wound up paying $5.12/each!

www.edzarts.com - Encaustic fine art and more!
                                                    EdZarts on Artspan.com
                                                    EdZarts on etsy.com
                                                    "Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced." -Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy

Paintbrush74

I voted no. The small amounts of money I save are not worth the time, the bother, and the aggravation that I go through when trying to get it just right. For instance, I hate having to make sure the thing is at perfect right angles.

And I agree with Deefox, I believe it was, who said that the time can be better spent painting.

Some people are really good at it and want to do it, and that’s fine. If I have old stretcher bars left from a bad painting, I might stretch a canvas over it. But I doubt if I’ll buy any more bars just to stretch canvas.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Does anybody streach their own canvases?’ is closed to new replies.