WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 04:42 AM
PDX

Hails from United Nations
Wallis sample, going to the beach

Here is what I did with my sample of Wallis (Belgian Mist). I think it's about 4"x9" -- too lazy to get out the ruler. Thank you, Kitty, for shipping it all the way over to me. My only problem with it is that it has spoiled me for wanting to work on any other surface! Have to save my pennies to buy some for sure.

I was not focused on the accuracy of the drawing itself (my daughter has big hands but not THAT big!) My biggest goal was simply to sit down and paint. I want to get more comfortable with the colors, so I approached this as a color/value study more than an attempt at a finished work. I'll do this as a larger work someday I think, having worked out some of the issues here. I may go back in a bit more, going darker in the shadow areas and trying a few new colors that attacked me in the store and wouldn't let me leave without them. Don't tell me, I know the foliage is a mish-mash! Another area to work on!

Jill
"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms or books that are written in a foreign tongue. The point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live your way some distant day into the answers." ~Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 08:56 AM
A Local Legend
Belfast. N.Ireland

Hails from United Kingdom
Wink Re: Wallis sample, going to the beach

Jill, I think this is simply stunning.
I love the shadows, the colours and the subject.
I love painting children myself, so this one has scored a bit hit with me.

Joe
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 10:10 AM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States
Re: Wallis sample, going to the beach

It's amazing what some of you can do with that little sample. I just love this!!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 11:03 AM
A Local Legend
USA, GA

Hails from United States

Really precious and I wouldn't fix anything... the larger hands read movement to me.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 11:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

What a gorgeous little painting...the colors are beautiful!!

Paula
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 11:32 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States

I really think Kitty should have a Sample Show in her sub-forum for everyone to put their sample strip paintings! There have been some real stunners done on these and this is another one! I love the Belgian Mist too! When I don't want to take the time for an underpainting, the grey is so much easier to judge values on!

I love the look of this determined little body off to the beach for the day with nothing more on her mind than FUN FUN FUN! Great work! Hope you can order some Wallis to work on soon! It's well worth it!

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 11:41 AM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadres
I really think Kitty should have a Sample Show in her sub-forum for everyone to put their sample strip paintings! There have been some real stunners done on these and this is another one!...

That's a GREAT idea Sooz!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 12:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Sooz, propose that to Kitty! It would be such fun to see them all in one place.

Jill, this is a wonderful painting. I love the light and shadow and the little girl has so much personality! Hope you have a blast with the Wallis paper--go ahead, spoil yourself! You'll be amazed at what you can do with it.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 03:27 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

I got my samples a week ago and have yet to touch them..I want to create something special on them

I love the play of light in this piece. It is gorgeous. The hand does seem a bit off, but I don't imagine it would take much to correct it. Otherwise, I think this one could become a piece your family should treasure! Excellent work.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 04:06 PM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States

Looks like you did wonders with the little sample. You definitely need to treat yourself to more.
This is a terrific little painting...her "stance" is great...you have captured it well. Great lights and darks too!

Sandy

My WC Gallery
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Portland OR

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadres
I really think Kitty should have a Sample Show in her sub-forum for everyone to put their sample strip paintings!

Thanks Sooz, Paula and Deborah, I'll put up the thread for samples right now.

Come on over to my forum all ye who have paiintings on my samples. I'd love to see every one in a single thread!

http://kittywallis.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Kitty Wallis : 09-06-2004 at 04:17 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2004, 05:15 PM
PDX

Thanks, everyone! It was fun and I was able to work more quickly than usual because the Wallis paper is just so EASY. Other papers seem a struggle by comparison. Yep, that's my little girl, super determined and full of personality! She's four going on 24...loves wine and coffee (she only gets tiny drops, I promise!), loves to chat on my cell phone...sigh.

I know no one suggested any changes, and I said it was just a study, but I have to confess to going back to it today and doing a lot more, including fixing some of the drawing problems. I'd like to think I'm improving it, but only time will tell. I'll post it again when it's "finished."

Jill
"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms or books that are written in a foreign tongue. The point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live your way some distant day into the answers." ~Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2004, 05:22 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

It's an excellent little scene of how big the world can be in the eyes of a little girl- good job, will wait to see your changes, and hope you post it in Kitty's thread in her forum.

On the subject of kids- my daughter at 3 gazed rapturously at some little frilly "communion"-type dresses- all scratchy lace and furbelows, and kept wanting one so badly. I explained it was coming onto winter, and she'd not be able to wear it for months, and then she'd've grown and it would be too small... "But Mom," she said, "I don't want to WEAR it, I just want to BUY it!"

I knew then she'd not gotten my tomboy genes....
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2004, 11:29 AM
PDX

SBJ, thanks for giving this a peek and I'll look forward to your comments on the new version...and yep, little kids can sure pull out some funny, funny lines!

Lots more work in this, I should have known I just couldn't leave it as sketchy as it was. I fixed the drawing errors and refined some of my color and value choices. I am happy with the figure and foreground for the most part. I tried to do SOMETHING with the foliage but it may suck even worse now. The last thing I did to it before scanning was to smear the hell out of it. My problems, other than a general panic when confronted with foliage, is that it is out of focus in the photo, and it's just some of that non-descript, indefinite form, bushy-type stuff. Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and I'll post this to Kitty's thread when it's done to my satisfaction!

Thanks!
Jill
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2004, 11:47 AM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

Okay- I'm not the one to tell you how to do indiscriminate, bushy, scraggly foliage stuff, but I say leave it alone. The focus is on the girl, and the greenery supports her nicely. In fact, my only problem with it is I can't see a way for her to get *through* it- so, umm, maybe you should include a little light sky colour at the top right to show that bush ends and she is going around it to the right? Know what I mean? Not much, just a rough triangular shape with a few small skyholes in the "scraggly" parts.

The figure is great- don't do too much more to it- it is really well-done.