WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2004, 08:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Weekly Scumble - 8/30 - 9/6

Good Monday Morning Everybody! Exciting news coming in from all fronts. Join in on the action and tell us about happenings, news, thoughts, family, pets - whatever you want to talk about.

-------------

Looks like the news and photos are trickeling in from Santa Fe - check out the Santa Fe Report if you haven't, lots of great photos of people you know from WC.

I know Sandy has lots to tell us about her daughter's wedding.

We are getting the remnants of Hurricane Gaston this morning - heavy rain and wind, so going to make this short before we lose power.

See ya on the forums!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2004, 09:18 AM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States
Re: Weekly Scumble - 8/30 - 9/6

You keep safe and dry, Kat! Hurricane remnants don't sound like fun, although better than the real deal I suppose.

The wedding weekend was wonderful. Everything we dreamed it would be. The weather yesterday held for us, with us holding our breath. It was overcast, which turned out to be a good thing because it was breezy and never got to hot so we were able to have the ceremony outside on the lawn by the water. It was gorgeous. I only cried a little bit...even hubby started to fall apart on us! . My mother was there for the ceremony. WE had her sitting up on the inn porch so she had a terrific view of things but didn't have to hassle any stairs. She stayed a while afterwards and then said since she still felt good it was time to go...before she felt lousy. Good call.
Everyone showed up and seemed to have a good time. The food was terrific. The kids looked beautiful and seemed incredibly happy. My grandson did a little reading from Dr. Seuss at the ceremony and did a super job.
I did bring my digital camera but of course never took a single photo. I was just too busy. Hopefully I'll have some photos soon. RIght now I am still a little high and beginning to get a case of let-down...not helped by the fact that we will be heading back home in a little over a week and I don't want to leave Maine. But all in all I cannot complain at all. This has been an interesting and productive summer.

I hope everyone has a good week. I will try to check in on everyone's painting projects and give my learned opinion!

s.

My WC Gallery
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2004, 09:27 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Soooo glad that the wedding went well and that your mom was able to attend. The let-down is normal - just do something for yourself and relax for a day or two. Curl up with a book or watch movies - some down time for you!

Boo hoo on leaving Maine - I know you love it there.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2004, 11:02 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States

Sandy, I was wondering how your big weekend went! So glad it all went beautifully and that your Mom made it to the ceremony after all! Now, kick back and try to enjoy your time in Maine! You've done good, girl...time to do whatever YOU wish for a few...!

Kat, I hope that storm doesn't wreak too much havoc back there! It's been amazing this year, the way storms have gone through with SO much wind and rain! I'll keep my fingers crossed for y'all.

Well, I'm finally pretty much rested up from my big journey (big for me, anyway!) Today we get to TRY and make various appointments for Gary with endocrinologists, cardiologists, and every other type "ologist" one can think of. It's ridiculous when they tell you they DEFINITELY want you to see so and so within a week and then so and so's office says, well...can't fit you in for FOUR weeks! But at least his heart rate is staying down pretty well with the medication and he's gradually beginning to complain about little stuff like the pain at the IV site and stuff, so I think he'll survive, although I can sure tell he's lost more weight in just the few days! Guess that's the overactive thyroid again.

I managed to haul all my gear back down to the studio area yesterday...if I'd known I wouldn't get to actually paint on the trip, we sure could've saved some space in the car by not taking all that stuff! I did open up my new pastel acquisitions to gloat a little last night...the Ludwigs are so yummy looking, I'll almost hate to use 'em! Was so funny when I picked those out...the lady who was helping at the booth handed me a box with 32 slots and said, "Don't worry, you don't have to fill it!" So....ten minutes later I HAD filled it. And then I spied the whole green range and asked for another box! Then Terry came over to see what I'd picked and kept up a running commentary...."Uh-oh! She's spotted the BLUES now!" So another box later I finally tore myself away to go in search of a lightweight easel. Believe me, places like that play the very devil with supply junkies like me! But they are beautiful colors as are the handful of Schmincke's and the Jacaranda Blues from Art Spectrum than I bought to replenish those I've nearly used up.

NOW, I just need to get stuff put away and cleaned up and I plan to PAINT! Gary will be home for at least this week on short term disability, so keeping an eye on him will be the big issue.

He's FINALLY going to apply for a handicapped parking placard...so when he does go back to work, he won't have to hike half a mile (literally) just to get TO the security portals on the base. I think it's time we put this getting old and decrepit stuff to USE!

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great week, creates great art, and continues in good health!

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2004, 11:37 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Sandy, I can't wait to see the photos. So glad it went off smoothly and your mom was able to be there. I know it must have meant a lot to all of you! Blessings on the new couple!!

Kat, rain? Blow hard this way, okay? We've had lovely storms all around us... tantalizingly close. I took photos on my way back from SF yesterday of the lovely clouds, but we could use some real rain!

So you fell victim to the Ludwig table too, Sooz? MMMMMM, too lovely, great prices--and Terry is a real pusher. He knows we have a need. Tell your hubby to work all the angles. Take good care of him!

I'm off to care for my mom today and then go to a training class at church tonight.

Paint on...

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2004, 11:54 AM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Sandy, Sounds like it was a beautiful wedding. And sounds like some down time is in order. I can't wait to see pictures. I want to see her gown. I just love wedding gowns.

Kat, We have been having rain and overcast skies here. Nothing drastic, but we did loose another tree limb to the wind Sat. night. Course those Bradford Pear trees that line our lane become so delicate after they are about 15 or so, it doesn't take much to blow off limbs!

Sooz, Happy painting. I can just see you taking out each new stick, making a mark on paper, then sighing a big happy sigh, cause that's what I would do!! Hope Gary gets a definite diagnosis soon. I'm sure the anxiety doesn't help the situation.

We spent a very quiet weekend for a change. I hope to get my new painting to the detail stage today. Hope everyone has a happy week!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2004, 11:56 AM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States

I can't wait for pictures either! I am hopng some of the many people who took digital pictures sends me some. It will be a few weeks before we have the profressional ones.

THat is so frustrating, Sooz, about the doctors. Unfortunately I think it is the name of the game these days...you need to be seen right away but it never happens. But I also agree that if he is grumbling about little stuff he must be feeling okay. Of course, I know you are worried. Keep us posted..I hope it all gets sorted out and he is on the mend soon. And yes, take advantage of some of the old decrepit stuff that you are due!

My WC Gallery
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2004, 02:54 PM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States

Got a couple of photos from our son. Yay! Sort of obvious but they are hubby walking her down the steps to the lawn and down the "aisle" and then hubby and daughter dancing...it was a Jimmy Buffett tune they both liked!
Attached Images

My WC Gallery
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2004, 03:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Beautiful photographs Sandy - Congratulations!!! Now if you can, just relax a bit and enjoy the rest of your time in Maine.

She's beautiful by the way!!! Barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2004, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Hi all, I've been quite absent from WC lately, but am planning on participating a bit more than I've been able to.

Kat-I hope your power stays on and you "weather" the storm in good shape.

Sandy-The wedding photos of your husband and daughter look great. It looks like it was a beautiful day for an outdoor wedding. Weddings are wonderful events, but emotional and they do take a bit of a toll, so take it easy for a few days if you can. Blessings on the new couple too.

Sooz-I was very glad to meet you in Santa Fe, I wish we had more time for a chat. I hope you get very good service for you upcoming Dr. appts for your husband, that seems quite a bit rarer these days. I have been absent lately so I'm ignorant of his condition, but will look backward and pray for him and for Doctors wisdom, if that o.k. with you. I got some Ludwigs too, and have'nt yet taken them out of the box or the set of Giraults (small 25 piece landscape set) either. I hope between appointments you can reset up your studio space and paint.

Deborah-You sound as busy as ever! You were such great company on Friday, I'm so glad we could carpool, and I hope Sunday working in the booth at Girault went o.k. for you.

Kate-A very quiet weekend? Hold on to those when you get them, they seem mighty rare around here.

I anticipated a nice, quiet weekend, but.... after a paint out with Artistammy on Sat, by husband hurt his knee again. He had injured his "good" knee while playing baseball with my grandson about 6 wks ago (he's had 6 surgeries on his bad knee) and was scheduled for a MRI in about 2 wks, but while working in the garage he heard a pop, then his knee collapsed, and down he went. He was in such excruciating pain that I couldn't touch his leg, nor could I lift him or move him (cause I've had back surgery), so we called my son and brother-in-law to come over to try and help. But because it was so painful, we ended up calling the paramedics, who were able to give him some morphine before they moved him. We got home well after midnight, after being stopped on the way home by the local police for a burnt out headlight. Thank God I only got a warning. Anyway, we are pretty sure he is facing knee surgery, and I'm praying it is not his ACL, but maybe another lessor ligament. MRI was moved up to today, so we should find out in a few days. I told my hubby that "he doesn't have a leg to stand on", but he didn't think it was very funny. Other than that, there is not much new.... Oh I just saw a coyote cross the back yard, I'm glad my cats are in. I better check on the chickens and turkeys.

Have a great day everyone!

"Be still and know that I am God" Ps. 46:10
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2004, 10:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmeow
Got a couple of photos from our son. Yay! Sort of obvious but they are hubby walking her down the steps to the lawn and down the "aisle" and then hubby and daughter dancing...it was a Jimmy Buffett tune they both liked!

Sandy, what a beautiful bride! What a special moment with father and daughter.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2004, 10:23 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Good grief, PJ! What next? I'm praying for your hubby and you, for serenity and wisdom for all involved... and if you need anything you know I'm here! I hope the chickens and turkeys are okay! We'll all be glad to have you back and more involved here, too!!

Sandy, your daughter is just glowing. What a delightful picture! Take a day off...put your feet up...enjoy the day. Where are they honeymooning???

My plumbing is backed up. I only need to wash every dish in my house as well as every single bit of clothing we have--that's all....and it all requires plumbing. So, I guess I'm forced to spend time here--ya think?

Actually, I need to write an interview before it goes cold in my mind. And maybe paint a little. I need to get those new pastels under my fingernails!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2004, 11:15 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Lovely photos, Sandy! Did you have the wedding at your HOUSE??? I can't imagine the uproar getting ready for THAT must've been. We had my older daughter's reception here at home and NEVER again. I about killed myself cleaning and spit shining everything in the place while out of town company went behind messing things up...I don't think I've ever been as tired as I was once all that was done! I'm so glad your daughter's day went so beautifully!

Pjo, I enjoyed meeting you, too...like you say, we'll have to try and VISIT more next time! I'm sitting here cringing at the thought of your husband's poor knee! I tore a bunch of ligaments in my right one about 3 years ago when I fell down the stairs and broke the left one. Believe me! The broken one was a LOT less painful for a lot shorter time! I do hope they can do something for him quickly!

Deborah, you LUCKY thing, you! Backed up plumbing! This is one of those VERY special times when one has the opportunity to ponder and appreciate the marvel of modern plumbing and just what a horrifying thing being WITHOUT it can be! And let me guess....everyone in the house is already wearing the LAST of their cleanish clothes and has suddenly developed a desperate need for bathroom usage above and beyond anything near normal. Yep, this is when one has the odd thought that marrying that Roto Rooter man who asked for a date eons ago might not have been such a bad idea after all! Ah, well....this, too, shall pass and I hope it does very SOON for you!

My hubby seems to be getting steadily better...heart rate's staying down and swollen feet seem to be his biggest complaint right now (men have no knowledge of swollen ankles, usually, thinking it's something we women whine about unneccessarily...he's finding out what it's really like now, but of course, HIS swollen ankles are so much WORSE than any I've ever had...pfffttt!). He goes to his primary doc this afternoon and got his appointments with the others for next week. His appetite seems on the mend, as well....so I'll be cookin' today for sure...grumble, grumble. It's good to see him coming back to normal, tho, and thanks for ALL your prayers and well wishes for him! He's a pretty good egg, all in all, and I still much prefer him over the Roto Rooter man! (of course, our plumbing's just FINE right now, so I may change my mind at some point!)

Anyway, I've ALMOST got everything unpacked and put away. Spent a lovely couple hours yesterday drooling on my new Ludwigs and Schminckes and Art Specs. Who knows? I might even get to USE 'em some today!

Hope you all have a great day, too!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2004, 11:39 AM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States

I'm so glad hubby is getting better, Sooz.

We had a catered BBQ at the house the night before the wedding for the out of town people but the wedding was at a wonderful inn on York Harbor...hence the lovely old building with the stairs. I have the say even the BBQ turned out to be more work than I anticipated so I am glad I didn't try to do the wedding at the house.
I wasn't going to say anything about this because it has been so cuckoo but I just talked to my daughter and basically the honeymoon as been postponed till January. They are going to try to go away to the WHite Mountians for the weekend just to relax.
She has been sick as a dog off and on since Friday night! It got so bad that her new hubby had to take her to the emergeny room yesterday afternoon. They ran all sorts of tests (no, she isn't pregnant) and everything came back essentially fine. She has been seriously vomiting. Can't keep a thing down. The only good day she had was Sunday (fortunately)...we have been really concerned but we are not getting word filtering back from people who were here saying they now have an intestinal bug...even the baby who came. So apparently she got it Friday and Saturday, it might have been gone but with all the stress and exhaustion it returned in style.
So hopefully this will all pass and she will remember the wonderful wedding and not the barfiness surrounding it.
Never a dull moment.
And it is Jamaica, mon! So now it will be in January, which will cost them more but it makes no sense to go and not me able to eat.

My WC Gallery
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2004, 11:45 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Awwww, so sorry to hear the bride is ill! Reminds me of Monica....she went down the aisle with a raging bladder infection all but doubling her over and the honeymoon was postponed for them until they got back to England! They've been married now for 16 years, tho, so I guess the messed up honeymoon didn't do them any real harm, but it is sad to have such a special occassion marred with illness!