WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Winnipeg

Hails from Canada
Smile Basic Comparision of Small Bench-Top Annealing Kilns with Digital Controllers

Hi – thought I’d share a chart I made. I’m doing research on the right kiln for me and I need to know everything that’s out there! This isn’t at all exhaustive because I didn’t look at the larger models in each line, but I think I got most of the “entry-level” 110/120 volt annealers under $800USD. There are eight on this list, but please feel free to add and/or correct if you have new or better information. I’ve read the kiln thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...highlight=kiln, which is where I got a lot of this info) but I haven’t seen a list like this compiled, so it could be a great resource if we all work on it.

For newbies like myself who don’t have this stuff memorized yet, moretti anneals at 968, boro needs 1050, PMC needs 1650 and fusing is around 1600-1700. Melting in a crucible is about 2150 according to Mark Wilson’s post http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204050. (Yay Mark Wilson!)

kiln name - description / website (price in $USD) / insulation material (weight) / inside dimensions / loading door type / casing material / max. temperature / element features / digital controller type

Note to fellow Canadians - I use www.xe.com for conversion and estimate about $100CAD extra for shipping and customs for a 45lb kiln (ie, $520 US kiln would cost $850 CAD or so…).

-------

1. Jen-Ken AF3P11/4.5 – Hexagonal annealer/fuser with integrated controller. Quite versatile.
www.cdvkilns.com (USA only) or www.aaproducts.com (513) / fire brick (50lbs) / 11” diameter x 4.5” tall / top load and 2 ½ x 6” fibre-backed bead door / 2000 / elements in top / 3-key programmable

2. Chili Pepper – a very portable and affordable mass-produced toolbox/style kiln for ANNEALING only.
www.waleapparatus.com (575) or http://www.aaproducts.com/KilnsGlass120V.html (519) / fibre (25lbs) / long 16” bead door / 16"W, 6.5"D, 6"Tall / red metal toolbox / 1100 / quartz tube encased / Barlett 3-button

3. AIM 84BD – adaptable stacking kiln, actually an 84J with a wider base and a “blank” bead garaging ring with a 6” bead door. Not easily portable but very adaptable – take out the bead ring to use as a small fuser. One WC’er said it could also be adapted for use as a small crucible kiln.
http://www.aimkilns.com/html/84bd.html (details) www.kilnwest.com (520.00 with flip-up door and mandrel rest, email Blake) / firebrick (45lbs)/ 9hx8wx8d (4.5hx8wx8d without bead ring) / 6 X2” bead door and top loading / metal sleeves and some exposed brick/ 1800 (w/ bead ring) 2400 (w/out bead ring) / side mounted, beadring blank / Fuji

4. Paragon Caldera – Cube-shaped sectional top-loading annealing and fusing kiln. Had optional bead ring with solid garaging door.
www.cdvkiln.com (598.00, USA only) also http://www.aaproducts.com/KilnPar120v.html / firebrick / 8"w x 8"d x 6¾"h (0.25 cu ft)/ top loading and bead flap door / stainless steel / 2000F / ? / 3-key Sentry

(continued in next post)
Attached Images

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae : 08-29-2004 at 04:45 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Winnipeg

Hails from Canada
Re: Basic Comparision of Small Bench-Top Annealing Kilns with Digital Controllers

(continued from first post)

5. Mailbox Kiln – By Mike Crowley, made with brick - same as Bead Fuser below but w/ different body and lower temp (annealing only).
http://www.theglasshive.com/BEAD%20ANNEALLERS.html (650) / fire brick (? $35us shipping…) / 4” x18” bead door / 4hx18wx6d / black metal mailbox / 1100 / in grooves / Fuji

6. Bead Box - A tool box kiln by Don McKinney - ONLY suitable for annealing. Really portable and good for those who ONLY need to anneal beads and make a LOT of them at once, because the bead door is so very, very wide.
www.glasspalette.com (685) / fibre (22lbs) / top load & long 20” bead door / metal toolbox / 1200 / quartz tube encased / Fuji

7. Bead Fuser – Nice brick-built tool-box style kiln that can also do fusing. Individually built by Mike Crowley, great tech support and warranty.
http://www.theglasshive.com/BEAD%20ANNEALLERS.html (765) / fire brick (? $40us shipping…) / 4” x18” bead door / 4hx18wx6d / aluminum case & s.steel handles / 1700 / in grooves / Fuji

8. Fusebox II – Gorgeous 2-door front loading fuser/annealing. Top quality construction, portability, but more pricey.
www.frantzartglass.com (800) details at www.ekmillerco.com / silica aluminum brick (45 lbs) / 14w x 9.5d x 5.5 h / 2 4” bead doors combined width 18”/ 1800 / quartz encased / integrated controller wired for optional computer connection ($375 more for software and connector)

--------

My personal choice was the AIM 84BD, because it’s versatile and modular (which means I can buy it bit by bit to upgrade slowly). I am also interested in seeing whether I could make my own bead ring – no wiring, just connecting kiln bricks and making a doggie door. It would still need to be safe enough to SUPPORT a hot kiln, though. I’d love to see an idiot’s “what’s a kiln brick?” tutorial on this... mmmm?

I hope this is helpful to people in similar situations to myself! I won’t be able to afford a kiln for many more months but I like to start planning early. Any corrections or comments will help me choose. Thanks, everybody!

-Heather at Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Attached Images

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae : 08-29-2004 at 04:48 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Enthusiast
Near Vancouver, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Re: Basic Comparision of Small Bench-Top Annealing Kilns with Digital Controllers

Great compilation of information Heather!

Thanks for posting this!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2004, 08:29 PM

Hails from United States

Wow thank you for posting this. Even though Glass Class 101 is very informative there are some questions that just aren't answered (at least for me). This was VERY helpful and will help me in making a final choice also. I am just starting out and at the point of extensive research. It can be very daunting, as you are not only exploring the art of the craft but all the technical issues also. Not to mention the budget. Again, thank you for your post.

All the best
T.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Immortalized
San Jose, CA

Hails from United States

This is a great resource! Bumpity-bump-bump!

Can we add this to the glass class 101???

Heather, you got my merit vote for today and I rated this thread 5 stars!!!

Etsy - - - Artfire - - - Blog - - - Twitter
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Houston

Hails from United States

WOW! You have put a lot of work into compiling all this info! I'm going to give this thread 5 stars! I'm sure it will be very helful to all newcomers!

Also, just wanted to mention that you can get the AIM 84BD with the Bartlett controller from Kilnwest, instead of the Fuji, if you want. If I remember correctly, the price is the same either way.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-28-2004, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from Morocco

I use the Skutt bead annealer and small fusing kiln, GM10F, with bead door. It usually lists for 895.00, but CRLoo has had it on sale for 725.00 in their fall flier. Others might, too.

It has the Glassmaster controller, which is easy as pie to use. The easiest, really. It's a brick kiln, so it cools slower than a fiber kiln, and is big enough to fuse small items. I use it every day. It runs on regular 110 v, 15 amp current.

B
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Missouri

Hails from United States

The ArrowSprings AF-99 kiln is a reliable work horse. Quartz-encased elements for safety. Bead door for convenience. Combined fusing or bead annealing capable. More features here: http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/kil...ntrollers.html
The AF-1313 is on my wishlist now that I want a bigger kiln.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Central Florida

Hails from United States

Thank you for this thread.. I am in the market for a kiln and so many choices are really confusing me. ~Holly

River Horse Studio

My eBay

...grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.....
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Oregon

Hails from United States

Great compilation, Heather.

I strongly suggest that everyone interested in a new kiln do some research before they buy. There are many brands/models/sizes/shapes/controllers to choose from. I am always available to answer any questions anyone might have on kiln suggestions, controllers, ect..

Blake
Kilnwest
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2005, 04:31 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States

Heather, this will be a great help to a lot of people.

I think this thread is useful enough that it will be around for quite a while, so I'd just like to suggest that anyone reading this in the future might want to check to see if any new kilns have come out. Beadmaking is booming right now, and it seems like manufacturers are coming out with new kilns all the time. Within the last week or so, I saw an ad for a new bead annealing kiln that sounded good -- of course now, I can't remember the name of it or the manufacturer.

I'm not suggesting that the kilns on this list aren't good. I have an 84BD myself, and it's a nice little kiln. I just don't want anyone to think that if a kiln isn't on this list, there's something wrong with it. It might just be new on the market.

To those who question the real value of the Web: Sea slugs. Now, please fall into a respectful silence, and don't speak again until you understand why you were wrong.
-- James Norton (in Flak Magazine's review of the Sea Slug Forum)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2005, 03:26 PM

Hi!

Thanks for compiling this info!

I too am in the market for my first kiln. Has anyone used a HotGlass kiln?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2005, 09:59 AM
New Braunfels, TX

Hey y'all....great thread...I've also been asking in another thread about this kind of info- because my uncle wants to start building affordable kilns for beadmakers...does everybody use a kiln with a digital controller? It's starting to look like that's where the big expense comes from....
-Paige
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Loxahatchee, FL

Hails from United States

If you're at all serious about beadmaking, you probably have a digital controller. And you're right -- it is a big part of the kiln expense.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Enthusiast
Rock Hill, SC

Hails from United States

I have a Sundance kiln (HG6B9), which is pretty similar to the AIM kiln. The great thing about it is that it's expandable; I can add more height if I want to later, or turn it into a crucible kiln. It can be accessed through the bead door or through the lid on top. Unless you needed extreme portability, I would suggest a firebrick kiln. I believe they hold in the heat the best. FWIW, the only time I've ever had an annealed bead crack was out of a toolbox- or mailbox-style kiln. But I didn't set the schedule on it, so that could have been at fault.

I got the digital controller with it and I also highly recommend that. It's a huge chunk of change but it has been worth it to me. I got an annealing schedule from someone over on the ISGB web site a few years back, and annealing is absolutely effortless.

Courtney
Attached Images