WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from Morocco
making leaves, petals and flames

Several people have asked about leaf mashers in the past couple of weeks. I'm working on an architectual installation with about a thousand leaves in it, so it wasn't much trouble to put together a mini-tutorial today!

There are many different ways to make leaves. These are mandrel-wound, though the techniques and tools could be used to make them off the mandrel, as well.

The following pictures will show you several types of leaves, and the tools used for each.

The first picture shows the various tools I use for making leaves, petals and flames:

Barb
( I will use a separate reply for each pic, so I can caption them.)
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from Morocco
Re: making leaves, petals and flames

The next three pictures show each tool and some of the leaves that can easily be made with them. The size of the leaf is governed mainly by 1) the size of the gather, and 2) the amount of stretching one does with the needle-nosed pliers after the 'squish.'

This pic shows the 'small realistic curved leaf masher':

(By the way, there will be about six pics, so please wait until I'm done posting all of them before replying -- thanks
Barb
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from Morocco

This one shows the 'fine-veined flat masher,' and leaves made with it:
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from Morocco

This tool is called a 'curved masher,' and the insides are smooth. I use it to make flames, petals, and custom leaves that need to have a particular veining pattern made with another tool, like needle-nosed pliers:
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from Morocco

This picture shows what I would call 'tweaking the leaves.'

Using the various aforementioned mashers, one can then use the nippers and clip the leaf edges, before fire polishing them in the flame.

You must get the leaf edge extra-hot, because it will snap the leaf in half if it's not really gooey. Also, snipping leaves can make a pretty nasty mess on your graphite marver, if it sits below the torch, so remember to brush it off before marvering anything.

There are some bifurcated leaves, made by adding two longish gobs of glass on either side of the main gather, under the mandrel. They must form a 'V' shape, or they will melt into one another before the squish. Takes a little finesse to heat one without hitting the other, but it makes nice holly earrings and maple seedpods.

I just included the berries because I made them today, and they were cute.

So there.
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from Morocco

Okay, here's the last one -- some pics of the leaves during production, from the first gather to the finished leaf.

I hope this is helpful to all those wanting to make leaves, petals and flames.

The mashers were purchased at various suppliers including Wale Apparatus, Arrow Springs, CR Loo and/or Frantz. I'm sure other fine suppliers carry them, as well.

Barb

Oh, PS: Yes, there is another masher there: the fine-veined angled masher. It makes a leaf identical to the fine-veined flat masher, except it has a fold in it. After I manipulate the leaves, they look so similar that I rarely use it. But if you like to just squish and go, it's a good masher, if you like a stiff, formal-looking leaf.

The second-to-last picture in the tutorial shows how to pull off waste glass at the base of the leaf while keeping the flame focused at the point of departure. I do this because I think it makes a more elegant-looking finish than leaving a big fat plier mark at the bottom of the leaf. Just my own style.

okay, I'm done!
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from Morocco

Okay, I fibbed, I'm not done. I start with 1/2" disk, but I usually adds some more glass with stringer or other decoration to it as I'm melting. I probably use about 2" of regular-sized rod for an average leaf, give or take. Mostly I add it to the bottom, but the glass above the mandrel has a way of thinning out just from radiant heat, so I usually add a dab just before reheating the glass near the mandrel.

If the bead is going to crack, it will probably be at the mandrel, from glass that is either too thin, or got too cold, which is why I have a goodly amount up at the top.

Barb
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 07:01 AM
Cameron, MO

Hails from United States

This is absolutely fabulous! Thank you so much for taking such effort to put together this wonderful tutorial and set of examples. Very impressive!!! Excuse me now, I think I want to order new "toys"! This looks like so much fun!!!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 07:48 AM
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Barb,
Thank you so much for all the info, it was wonderful timing as I just received my fine veined flat masher! Great tutorial! I'm definitely rating this thread.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast
MA

Barb,

What an awesome tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing your technics with us!!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Tampa,Florida

Hails from United States

The tutorial was great. Explained very well. So nice to get details. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks,
Geneva
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 10:28 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Barb,
I just got one of these mashers, so this is timely for me. The vendors who sell these tools should hire you! LOL. They never post pictures of what their tools can do. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

Deb
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast
San Antonio TX & Norcross GA

Hails from United States

WOW Great tutorial.
The architectural installation sound exciting. If you don't mind I'd love to here more about that. There is so much more that we can do with our talent and glass.I've done some work for a friend who makes custom lighting. So I am imagining this fabulous chandelier. Glistening with a 1000 leaves.
Thank you so much for sharing.
Sam
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast
Left Coast

Hails from Canada

A super tutorial! Thanks so much!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast
New England

Hails from United States

WOW!!! Thanks so much for sharing all of your information. I have been looking at my leaf mashers for a while trying to figure out just what to do with them!!! Paula