WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2004, 03:53 PM
The Beautiful Finger Lakes

Hails from United States
Unhappy Procrastination!

Hi everyone

I'm having a huge problem with procrastination!

I'm on this website every day during the week (almost to the point of addiction!). I get so inspired by all of you that I can hardly wait for the weekend to get here so I can paint. Then the weekend comes, and I think of any excuse I can NOT to paint!

I know I'm sabotaging myself - it's been awhile (going on 2 yrs) since I've painted and I've got cold feet. I tend to be really hard on myself and I feel like each painting should be a "masterpiece".

Does anyone else go through this?

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken"
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2004, 03:57 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States
Re: Procrastination!

Sure- we all have. So here's an idea: Go to the Soft Pastels Studio and check out DeeArtist's "ESP: Explose Soft Pastels" thread- that'll give you a little exercise to do which will kinda nudge your creativity center a bit- and off you'll go.

Give it a try- can't hurt, with?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2004, 04:45 PM
across the water from Seattle

Hails from United States

Despair not. Every artist here faces a blank canvas at the beginning of a new project.

I can only speak for myself and I'm not a professional artist. I'm returning to art after a break of 25 years and the the only way I could do it (and still continue to do it) was to tell myself that I was doing this for myself. I wasn't trying to create ART with a capital 'A', but create art with a little 'a.' (If that makes sense.)

Another thing that helps me, is that I spend a little time each day working on my current project. I have a very long commute and I may not get home until 8pm, but I still try to spend at least 5 minutes looking or fiddling with my painting. Maybe that would take away the onus of feeling that you can only create on the weekends. You're creating all the time.

Also, don't feel you have to post every painting on WC for critiques. It takes a lot of gumption to post your paintings here for all the world to see. It also adds a whole lot of stress to the creative process. Why do you paint? I think that question might be at the crux of the problem.

My best advice is this: as with just about everything else in life, the process is more important than the result.

Sherry
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2004, 05:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Hi Sherry, you've gotten good advice from Julie and Emma - I know where you are coming from. Been where you are - we all go through fits and spurts - but the first leg is always the hardest.

Like Julie suggested, try dee_artists ESP project - or trying sketching something and putting it into the Weekly sketch Thread - it' only an hour's worth of work. You can also join the great bunch of folks over at the Weekend Drawing Event in the All Media Events forum - photos are posted on Friday and you have all weekend to paint and post. They really can boost your confidence there as it is a "no critique" forum - just encouragement and fun.

Whenever I get into a slump, I look through the WC library or my art books - a quiet couple of hours will always give me inspiration.

Never fear making art, just join us!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2004, 06:10 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England

yes, we all go through this at sometime or other, and not only once!! ...... and we all hope.... THIS one is going to be the BIG one.... Im sure once you pick up a pastel and start there will be no holding you back...... you could also check out the weekly sketch threads..... just paint for an hour and less and post.... be kind to yourself, try something simple just to get back into the swing of it..... you WILL have fun I promise..
from little acorns..... mighty Oaks.....
yes check out Dee's thread..... A = is for Apple....... and in a couple of days I will give you what B is
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2004, 04:16 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks for the encouragement & great advice!

After reading what all of you wrote, I stopped to think about WHY I like to paint. I had to really think about this!

This is going to sound really stupid, but I thought about one of my stumbling blocks. Now that I own a home, everyone expects that I'm going to have these beautiful pieces hanging up all over my house. (and believe me, they let me know) So as I'm working on something, I find myself more worried about how it's going to look in a certain room or what so & so is going to think when they see it. I feel so much pressure for it to look good enough to hang up. TALK ABOUT THE WRONG REASONS! (I mean, hello? I live in a house, not a gallery!) I worry waaaaay to much about what other people think. I need to stop it already!

So here goes.....I'm going back to just having fun and creating art because I enjoy creating art. I'm doing it for ME.

Thanks guys.....I really needed this!

to Dark Shades....when do I get to find out what B is for?

Last edited by Tammar : 08-26-2004 at 04:19 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2004, 08:54 AM

Hails from United States

This is going to sound really stupid, but I thought about one of my stumbling blocks. Now that I own a home, everyone expects that I'm going to have these beautiful pieces hanging up all over my house. (and believe me, they let me know) So as I'm working on something, I find myself more worried about how it's going to look in a certain room or what so & so is going to think when they see it. I feel so much pressure for it to look good enough to hang up. TALK ABOUT THE WRONG REASONS! (I mean, hello? I live in a house, not a gallery!) I worry waaaaay to much about what other people think. I need to stop it already! Tammar

My neighbor once said that if she could paint, she would have her house filled with her artwork, and wondered why I didn't. It made me realize that I wanted other people's thoughts on my walls, not just mine. Maybe you could use that excuse to diffuse their expectations, and lessen the pressure on you to paint masterpieces. LIsa
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2004, 10:22 AM

Hails from United States

What a great idea Lisa - Thank you!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2004, 12:08 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammar
Thanks for the encouragement & great advice!

After reading what all of you wrote, I stopped to think about WHY I like to paint. I had to really think about this!

This is going to sound really stupid, but I thought about one of my stumbling blocks. Now that I own a home, everyone expects that I'm going to have these beautiful pieces hanging up all over my house. (and believe me, they let me know) So as I'm working on something, I find myself more worried about how it's going to look in a certain room or what so & so is going to think when they see it. I feel so much pressure for it to look good enough to hang up. TALK ABOUT THE WRONG REASONS! (I mean, hello? I live in a house, not a gallery!) I worry waaaaay to much about what other people think. I need to stop it already!

So here goes.....I'm going back to just having fun and creating art because I enjoy creating art. I'm doing it for ME.

Thanks guys.....I really needed this!

to Dark Shades....when do I get to find out what B is for?

I dont hang my pictures either, just put them in a box under the bed when done .... recently I did put up two, only for the fact they went with the colour scheme and I had bare walls otherwise lolol ....

You find out what B is..... once you've done A

..... thats what art is all about..... doing it for you... what makes you happy
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2004, 02:16 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States

Kat beat me to my suggestion.. I find that the weekly sketch thread is a very good way to get out of the proctastination of which I am the poster child......because it is just a quick sketch, there's no self imposed perfection required, yet it gets my mind back in gear...sort of like recalibrating a machine. It also provides immediate gratification. Subject matter isn't important...it can be nothing more than scribbles used as warm up execise.. the key is get the hand moving and the mind to slow down. And yes, you are in good company, cause you have described something we all experience from time to time.,,,and probably will again....just the nature of the beast!

I hope to see some of your work there !
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2004, 08:40 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States

I think I took Jackie aback a bit at the Expo when I mentioned that I re-watch her instructional videos sometimes to get re-motivated! But it WORKS! Her enthusiasm mixed with her common sense is a surefire inspiration. So are books, visits to galleries, museums, visits to HERE, anything to share ideas and art. The great thing about WC is that you have a ready array of folks who not only understand what you're experiencing but have all sorts of tips for overcoming whatever problem you've come up against.

I think temporary blocks are almost inevitable for artists, but I think at least sometimes, they're just our way of resting our right brains for a bit, clearing the old dust out and making room for new journeys. The trick is to keep these rest periods from becoming permanent or so long in duration that it begins to seem like a Herculean task to get started again! So...if you find yourself needing a swift kick in the rear to get going again....just tell us and you'll get plenty of 'em!

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry