WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Wearable Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2004, 12:52 PM

Hails from United States
Need help with crooked necklace

Hi all,
I have been a member for a while but this is my first time asking for help! HELP! I am making a necklace for my sister-in-laws wedding. I did the mock-up with nymo and it was gorgeous. But we all know not to use nymo with crystals, lol had an accident with that before. Anyway I loomed the top part so that it would have a little more stability on the top. I used Soft Touch for the looped parts. As you can see putting the two together just didn't work the way I would like. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with this thing? The wedding is in Oct so I have some time, but my SIL is well lets just say anxious as am I!
Thank you all!
Tami
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast
Singapore

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Need help with crooked necklace

Hi Tami, I had a look at your photo and I think the problem is that the top band is not compatible (construction wise ) with the design below.
How a design is shaped depends on what part of the neck it is designed to fit around. A choker that is tight around the neck will be a long rectangle when you lay it flat, because the neck is almost cylindrical. However further down the neck flares out, so to lay around something like that a piece needs to be shaped differently ( think Egyptian collars flattened out, they look more like concentric circles with a big hole in the middle).
I think that the key to fixing the design is to decide where the necklace wants to "sit". If the bride wants a high up choker with the dangles off the bottom laying around the neck, then the top band probably needs to be thicker and shorter with the "dangles" radiating out from that. In 3 dimensional terms something that looks like a cylinder rising up from the concentric circles. If she wants more of a necklace that sits much lower on the chest then either the top band needs to be thin, so that it naturally conforms to the contours of the neck, or the band needs to be shaped, ie not loomed as a straight band, but curved.
It might be possible to adjust what you have into either of these ideas, would depend on how it is currently put together.
Hope some of this makes sense, pity I don't have a scanner pad I think a diagram would be clearer. Fiona
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2004, 01:05 AM
A Local Legend
In a little cottage by the sea (Edmonds, WA)

I've been thinking about this necklace all day and just came to post about what I'd decided - only to see that Fiona beat me too it!

Yes, it seems that it would only work if it were a true choker style -i.e. tight fitting - if she wants to wear it a little looser, it needs to drape and that type of weaving at the top won't work - it would be better if it was strung on beading wire like soft flex and then the droopy parts could come off of that.

Good luck!

My Blog / My Etsy / My Website
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2004, 03:32 AM

Hails from United States

Thank you both very much! Yes I think that is what seems to be best. Luckily they are two different pieces and I don't have to do the whole thing over, just cut the loomed part off. Wheww!

I really appreciate the help, will let you know how it turns out!
Tami
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2004, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast
Mobile, Alabama

Hails from United States

Hi Tami,

This is a picture of a pearl necklace that DD Holly did for a bride. The back had a soft transp blue lampworked bead that trailed from the clasp. She has a better picture but this is her self-portrait trying it on before it was finished.

Your necklace is exquisite -- be sure to post the picture after you re-work it.
Attached Images

Mobile, Alabama
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
Louisville

Hails from United States

Wow what great help you three (Lady Arowana, Pam & Genie) have been in this thread. Unfortunately we don't have the Merit & Mentor buttons in our forum so I could give you each a merit point for your help. So instead let me just say thank you for being so helpful to everyone and especially to Tami here.

Cup and Saucer,
Saucer and Cup.
Where does a hole go
When its filled up?

"Unknown"
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2004, 02:58 PM

Hails from United States

And let me once again thank you all too! If I could give points then y'all got them! Just mark them in my "I owe ya" book !
I will walk away today to work on some other project I want to do. Got a Peitersite pendant and beads that have been calling my name. But tomorrow a fresh start on this necklace and I will post when I finish it! Thank you!

Tami
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2004, 08:34 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Windy City, IL

Hails from United States

Tami, I read this yesterday and am glad to see you received such wonderful responses. Please share the finished necklace with us. It will be good to see how you overcame the problems.,

-Mary