WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Wearable Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Central Illinois

Hails from United States
How to connect to jumprings???

Hi everyone~

I am making a bracelet and am connecting to wrapped beads with two jumprings. It looks fine but seems unstable and twists a lot. Is there another way to join two jumprings without using another jumpring?

I know this is clear as mud....

Audra
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 12:12 AM
Chicago IL

Hails from United States
Re: How to connect to jumprings???

Maybe use smaller jump rings...?

Are the two jump rings lying side-by-side, or are they linked through one another? Meaning did you join in this manner:

bead - jumpring - jumpring - bead
or
bead - doubled jumprings (side by side) - bead

If it is the first way, you're going to get a lot of twist, simply because just two single jump rings in a row won't lie flat. I'd suggest just using one jump ring, or if you've got enough space in your wrapped loop, use two jump rings and join them side by side (or, Mobius them - have them appear side-by side, but they actually go through one another as well...um, I hope that is clear ...)

If you need it to be two jump rings long because of design and/or sizing issues, try bumping it up to three and using different sizes:
bead - tiny jump ring - normal jump ring - tiny jump ring - bead
(the tiny jump rings can be doubled for strength)

Hope this helped and isn't too confusing!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Central Illinois

Hails from United States

Bead jump ring jump ring Bead. I need the two jump rings for length. I use the snapeez ones from Via Murano because they actually do stay shut without soldering. I don't know what you mean by mobious them. I put one through the other.

I've seen horizontal connectors in some commercial made jewelry and some nice artisan pieces. I thought maybe you could by them somewhere but I can't find anything like them.

Thanks for your help!
Audra
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
Louisville

Hails from United States

If you used 3 smaller jumprings then you could get the length and not so much twist. The second jumpring is trying to turn at a 90º angle to the first jumpring so the third jumpring would be putting you back in line. What you could do is use a jumpring then a tiny jumpring then another jumpring. This wouldn't add much to the length but would let the larger jumprings lie flat.

Please post a picture of your current arrangement and then your solution so we can see how you solved the delimma.

Cup and Saucer,
Saucer and Cup.
Where does a hole go
When its filled up?

"Unknown"
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Central Illinois

Hails from United States

Here is a pic of the bracelet. They are shards - not beads. I said bead because I didn't know if anyone knew what a shard was. Everytime I mention it people look really confused. I'll try the smaller jump rings - don't have any right now and the snapeez only come in two sizes. The size I use for linking and the bigger ones I use on the ends.
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Central Illinois

Hails from United States

Here is another one - had to resize it.
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Indianapolis, IN

Hails from United States

I've seen those shards before! I knew what you were talking about. They are so kewl! Your bracelet is even cooler!

Lampwork by Lori
Ebay ID: lampworkbylori
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Louisville

Hails from United States

Great pictures. I know what shards are although I'm really glad to see a picture. I love how you made the edges of the pics irregular. It really echoes the irregularities of the shards.

What about using a very small split ring between the 2 snap rings? They are pretty secure. They could be small enough that the fact that they are a split ring isn't obvious and wouldn't detract from the design.

Another option is you could make links out sterling wire to bridge the spaces between shards. There are several link designs on the WigJig site. Here is one that might work for your bracelet:

Scepter Link

Cup and Saucer,
Saucer and Cup.
Where does a hole go
When its filled up?

"Unknown"
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Central Illinois

Hails from United States

Wow, I never thought of making my own links. Duh. I even have a wigjig. Do I use it? Noooo. Maybe I'll try that route. I don't have any little rings right now. Just 6-8 mm ones. I'll have to stop at Michaels and see what they have on hand. Thanks for the compliments. I'm making bracelets and pendants to sell on my site and I wonder if people will like them. I like them but then, that's me.

Audra
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 03:24 PM

Hails from United States

If I were doing it, I'd connect them with flower chain elements (the same as the Mobius rings mentioned before). They add a bit of rigidity so that the connections between the shards would function more like hinges than loose chain, if that makes sense. Here's a picture showing flower elements connecting bead links:

http://urbanmaille.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=107
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Georgia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwhite
I use the snapeez ones from Via Murano because they actually do stay shut without soldering.

Just to let you know, if you use "regular" jump rings they will also stay shut without soldering. I've seen the Snapeez in person, don't see the big deal about them other than the little snapping sound.

If your jump rings have good, flush cuts, and they are closed properly they won't come open w/o the aid of pliers.

HTH saving you some $$$!!!

That said, Pam and Ira are very lovely people

Denise
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Georgia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aislyn
If I were doing it, I'd connect them with flower chain elements (the same as the Mobius rings mentioned before). They add a bit of rigidity so that the connections between the shards would function more like hinges than loose chain, if that makes sense. Here's a picture showing flower elements connecting bead links:

http://urbanmaille.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=107

Love that new braclet, Aislyn!!! What are those wire/ring things on either side of your rubies?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Chicago IL

Hails from United States

It seems as though people on the board have been able to give you some great ideas about connectors, but allow me to clarify one thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwhite
I don't know what you mean by mobious them. I put one through the other.
OK, Mobius...Imagine a 2-in-2 chain of jump rings. (Like a single link chain, just double each link). To mobius the chain, the "doubled" links would also go through one another. Sounds confusing, so maybe a pic would help:

2-in-2 mobius chain The Mobius chain (also known as Wiggle) is the bottom one.

Mobiusing helps increase strength, and in my opinon, can be downright pretty. You can take just about any chainmaille weave, and mobius a ring here or there--or heck, all of them--and completely change the look of the weave.

OK, I'm done talking about maille.

Do be sure to post pics of your solution!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 06:30 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringslingin
Love that new braclet, Aislyn!!! What are those wire/ring things on either side of your rubies?

Rings... of course. *g* They're Celtic knots. Picture a flower made with only two rings. Now imagine doubling those rings. Now put them over the wrapped part of a bead link. Viola, Celtic knots. *s*
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Georgia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aislyn
Rings... of course. *g* They're Celtic knots. Picture a flower made with only two rings. Now imagine doubling those rings. Now put them over the wrapped part of a bead link. Viola, Celtic knots. *s*

And what size rings would one use on these voila knots?