WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast
Kelowna, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada
???? soft pastels

Hi everyone, I have never tried soft pastels before but the other day found a set on sale(likely student stuff) and decided to give it a go. I had no idea how to use them so just went for it. I laid down my dominant color and rubbed it in with my finger or tortillion or a cotton swab(wanted to see what worked best) then I just began layering. Am I on the right track? Dust everywhere. My face was almost as colorful as my paper. Typical? How does one deal with that dust and how do you keep it from messing the support where you don't want it messed? Anyway, here is my experiment, the colors I tried(plus a tad of white) and the no-name pastels. Dyin mentioned I need to find stickies here? I sure would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thanks all.

cindy

This awesome image is from Lorna's WDE.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 01:24 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States
Re: ???? soft pastels

Don't know the brand from the box there, but they look like decent ones to experiment with for now.

Pastel work is all about layering, so you need to have a good support, or ground. Yeah, you can blend pastels, but what ends up working best, usually, is to layer your colours over and over each other until they blend themselves. It actually gives you better control over the hue and value- doesn't leave it "chalky".

Jackie Simmonds has a good thread in her forum here, she offers a bit of online tutoring through pm's, too; and the Library has tons of info- just tons. Kitty Wallis' forum will explain why Wallis is THE best pastel support ever, ever, ever, and show you how to get a sample of it to try, and where you can buy it in certain countries.

"Stickies" start out in whatever forum, and then are moved to the Library, but they are by no means the only threads with great info (sometimes, we forget to rate threads) Looks like you've a good start, though, and we'll be happy to help with any specific questions you have. As to dust: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207111

Welcome, have fun. Look forward to seeing your work.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 01:36 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United Kingdom

By the sound of it, you were working flat. I would really work on some sort of easel so the pastel dust can fall down and not smudge the rest of the painting. Also, don't blow the dust away as it will get everywhere (as you noticed). Just shake it off outside once in a while.

I like blending, but be careful not too blend too much or too soon as it can become looking a bit flat.
It sounds like you like to experiment and that is the best way to find out what works for you. Since you can layer pastels for quite a while a good pastel paper works great.
Check out the pastel library - there are tons of great threads in there.

Oh, and HAVE FUN - careful, it's addictive....
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast
Kelowna, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

sbj, thanks so much for getting back to me and for the abundance of information. Considering now, what I have to read through and study and pratice, etc. I'll be posting again in maybe a . . . . year???? . . . lol Seriously I really appreciate all the direction and am excited about getting started. The link was excellent! Dang, I just sold my last surplus body part for food. . . what was I thinking?. . . (mutter,mutter....)had I only known. . . *sigh*. . .I have children. . .

cindy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast
Kelowna, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi Soap, yep your paragraph one: completely accurate! lol

I have seen mention many types of pastel paper. I was just playing on cold press wc paper. Pastel paper superior?

Addictive. . . what else is new with art. . . I finally had to lock my pencils away so that I would move back to color. I tried some controlled graphite but alas, I continually binge. Oh well, bring it on!

I'll be in the library.

Thanks
cindy
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 02:10 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Aspden
Dang, I just sold my last surplus body part for food. . . what was I thinking?. . . (mutter,mutter....)had I only known. . . *sigh*. . .I have children. . .

cindy

Food is over-rated. Children today are becoming obese- our Government says so, and if you can't trust them, who can you trust? Kids don't NEED Kool-aide- they WANT Kool-aide; whereas, you very definately need more more more pastels and some Wallis paper. Now, you *could* get some LaCarte paper, it has a vegetable matter coating which is, of course, a recommended food group, and then you've solved two issues at once. Just tell 'em the purplish-gray colour tastes like real grapes, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Watercolour paper works, but the premier paper is Wallis sanded. Trust me on this.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 02:31 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBabyJ

Watercolour paper works, but the premier paper is Wallis sanded. Trust me on this.

And Canson Mi-teintes, and Sennelier LaCarte, and Colourfix, and ... and... .....
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 02:40 PM
The Beautiful Finger Lakes

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBabyJ

I second that! I looooooove Wallis paper! You won't regret trying it.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken"
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 05:52 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States

No! No! Trading the children for pastels and paper is still frowned upon in our unenlightened society so best not do that!

Some of your dust issues also arise from the less expensive pastels which often have a lot of chalk binder which dusts a lot. But then, so do the really good softies, so....working vertically will help....also, if you eventually get some "hard" pastels to do your early layers, you'll save a lot of dusting since they have less in the way of powder. Wallis is worth the cash outlay...and CAN be re-used if you don't like your first effort on it...a definite plus.

All that being said, you look like you're getting the hang of it VERY well already! Experimentation is probably the best way to learn. Welcome and will be waiting to see more of your work!

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 11:07 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Cindy, You are going to be soooooooo addicted!!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 11:14 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

hey, Cindy...didn't i tell you how great everyone was here? The cool thing about Wallis is you can wash and re-use, so in the long run it's cheaper (think she'll buy that one???) The sticky i told her to look for was Dee's ground toning??? Did it go to the library?
Have fun Cindy...you'll never look back!

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Enthusiast
Kelowna, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Phewf. . . (moths fluttering out of hair as she emerges from the library) There are some great articles!

SBJ, tried the paper trick for dinner. . . kids are teens, so they noticed Perhaps I could try in casserole?

SJB, Soap and Kelly, sooz. . .boy have you got my curiosity up about the Wallis paper. I am going to have to make a trip to the art store tomorrow. I can't imagine a paper that lets you remove and try again. That sounds too good to be true.

Quote:
No! No! Trading the children for pastels and paper is still frowned upon in our unenlightened society so best not do that!
LOL

Thank you all for the info. I did a bit more on the balloon just blending with the pastel as suggested, and what a huge difference. The color is so bright and clear. I also visited the library and have a kazillion books coming. So between them and all the great help from you all, I might just get this.

cindy
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 11:22 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

It's a vegetable- it's not supposed to taste good. sheeeeesh! Kids today!

Have fun- try one of DeeArtist's lesson in the ESP thread.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Enthusiast
Kelowna, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Yikes, another reference to addiction. . . Sue, didn't you mention that? What. . . is it something in the dust? All it did was make me itchy.

Hey Sue. Wash and go paper. I hate hand washing. I ain't buying it.

????ESP thread????? I'm about as forum savy as I am soft pastel savy.
I did find the ground background Sue.

And yep Sue, you have been braggin' about everyone here for a looooong time and yep rightly so.

cindy
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2004, 11:53 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Cin...it's the new classroom thread on the main page that dee-artist just put up...all HOW TO's on pastel techniques..you'll be a pro in no time if you do some of her exercises

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild