WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2001, 11:37 PM
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Hails from Canada
drafting table plans

Hi,

I am interested in building a drafting table for my studio and wondered if anyone had plans or measurements of there own or where I may find plans

Trevor
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2001, 05:49 PM
South Carolina

Hails from United States
Hey Trevor!

We're just sort of making it up as we go in my studio, but I started with the idea of using unfinished kitchen cabinet/drawer units from Home Depot as the legs.

I wondered out loud to my significant other if it would be possible to use them in that fashion and it's turned out well. He used stain grade plywood to make the work surface and a piano hinge in order to lift the top (there's a two x four "ladder" on the back wall that I can use to "prop" the table top up at various angles).

It turned out to be heavier than expected, so he added a counter weight that runs up into the attic.

I know I'm not explaining this well, and I'm sorry that I can't show you sketches (no digital camera or scanner at this time - I always have to borrow them).

There is an old pic from about a year ago in the studio layout post (on page 4 or 5 I think). This pic really only shows the drawer unit "legs" before the main top was added, but it might give you a place to start.

I've ended up with a work surface that is 3 feet deep and 5 feet across along with 8 drawers within easy reach of my chair (although the room is not finished yet, so I'm still working with portable items - sketchbooks and a french easel). If I remember correctly, the unfinished cabinet/drawer units are about 36" high to begin with, so the top will be at least 3/4" higher. Mine is about 2" higher.

Like I said, we did a lot of "making it up" on the fly...so it's probable that there are better design ideas. I'm fairly certain that we would do some things different if we were starting over from scratch (like find a way to make the top lighter - part of the heaviness came from an early mistake).

I started out with rough ideas of what I wanted in a studio, mostly lots of work surface, and lots of various types of storage space, along with areas specifically designed for certain tasks. I also wanted it to be beautiful in an "old world" way, warm and interesting. I definitely wanted to avoid anything that looked industrial. There's a celtic knot/oak tree theme running throughout.

Anyway, although I couldn't provide you with specific plans, I hope this might spark some ideas for you.

Take care,
Frankie
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2001, 12:15 AM
Guelph,Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Thumbs up

Hey thanks for the tip Frankie. I've been mulling over the differtent possibilities on how to relace my old drawing table. This was one of the things I considered because I have limited work space and I need to combine my computer and drawing areas. Most of the computer desks out there are overpriced and useless as art tables. Storage on most of these units are equally frustrating. Odd shaped cubby holes and inaccessable shelves don't make very good studio sense.
I will, after reading this post, most certainly be looking at building something myself. I have about 10 years experience with aircraft blueprints and assemblies so I'll try to post my results.
Hey Trevor, good to hear from a fellow Islander. I wasn't born there but my parents were and I actually got to live there for ten years. Welcome to WC!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2001, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast
Northern New Jersey

Hails from United States
Talking Table

Hi everybody, The way to go is to do it yourself. It will be cheaper for sure and you can make it to any specs. you want. I have an old drafting table top that was my fathers it's about 11/4 thick solid as a rock, and just set on top of an old big metal desk. I cut the top to make it a little narrower and I have access to the drawers in the desk. Any thing you can use that you have already or get for free is better than paying top dollar for something that has questionable quality. JMO

Tony
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-24-2001, 12:37 AM

Hails from Canada
Captain,

Good to hear that you spent some time on the island. I'm born and bred Newfoundlander and I love it here. Great province for painting and an incredible amount of talent.

Thanks for the welcome

Trevor
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2002, 05:18 PM
Newfoundland

Hails from Canada
Smile

Hi Trevor,

I'm Newf true and blue as well... and a new member of WC! I also came up with my own idea for a table top easel. One thing is for sure is that if you want to paint you'll always find a way to do it reagardless of resources!!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2002, 09:01 AM

Hails from Canada
Winky,

Welcome to WC! You are right. I will paint no matter the situation. I have a large easel in my studio where I paint my acrylics and I use the kitchen table for watercolors.

Good to have a fellow Newfoundlander on WC!

Trevor