WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Washington DC

Hails from United States
Painting over glazed pottery

Hi all,

I bought a decorative planter in a "going out of business" sale. Its pretty, except for the color of some rose type flowers that are along the rim. Since these are already glazed, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on how to paint over the glazed color (what type of paint to you, medium, etc.) This would a "first time" for me in terms of this type of art!

Gratefully,

Vance
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Painting over glazed pottery

I have done this b4 only I'm not sure if there is a better way. Maybe there is an expert out there who can help you other wise you could try what I have done...

After giving the pot a good clean and making sure it was completely dry, I gave it two coats of PVA glue (White Glue), sounds odd I know but the glue gives the paint a key. Then I base coated the whole pot in two coats of acrylic craft paint followed by the art work. Then three coats of acrylic varnish to seal it. I wouldn't use the pot other than an ornament, the less 'knocking about' it gets the better it will last.

Hope that helps.

My Website
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2004, 08:49 AM
A Local Legend

Experimental and questionable re "archival".......but the pots are still in good shape a couple of years later (ditto careful handling/no knocking around)

Excuse quality of photos - for record keeping only

On both hand-built raku fired and wheel turned high fired glazed pots:

roughed up the surface with a fine toothed file
painted on w/good quality acrylics (can't remember - may have gessoed?)
shellaced with Bulls Eye label shellac. Let it dry very, very thoroughly.
Final varnish (several layers with acrylic varnish)
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

If you have an "As You Wish" or other type of pottery painting studio, take your peice into them adn ask then the same question. I once did this and as they could not guanantee the outcome, it worked perfectly to re-fire in my case.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2004, 04:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Bucks County, PA

Hails from United States

Great pieces Vance, I particularily like the 3rd one. It'd never occured to me to paint over an existing vessel. Thanks for showing them. Valorie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2004, 09:06 PM
A Local Legend
Near Amarillo, Texas

Hails from United States

If you really want to do this in a way that is permanent then try the following:

First, Whink off the design (Whink is a rust remover available at most large grocery stores. The technique is rather slow (12 - 20 minutes) but it will remove the flowers. (This is only for paint that is under the glaze.)

1. Place a viva paper towel over the part that you wish to remove. (Do a 3" area at a time)
2. Wet the paper towel with the Whink and make sure that there are no air holes in the paper towel. Leave for 20 minutes and peek and see if it's gone. If it is, then wash with water. If not, then check after 10 more minutes. It must stay wet. (Do this over lots of newpapers or a plastic surface) This will work on painted plates, tiles, decals, etc.

Warning: this is an acid and be sure and use heavy diswashing gloves. Also rinse the sink well after rinsing off the article. The water will nutralize it, but it's still not enviornmentally friendly enough where I would use it outdoors under any circumstances. The sink is fine if you make sure that it is all washed away. If it gets on your skin then wash away quickly...I have had it on my skin for more than 10 minutes but it does and will cause burns if under fingernails etc.

To repaint it professionally, use overglaze paints and fire it to cone .017

To see an examples of overglaze painting , then go to my website at:
http://celestemccall.net
For more information about painting pottery or ceramics or porcelains, then go to ppio.com.

Otherwise, I LOVE the suggestions on using the acrylic paint, etc. They are darling! I probably gave you more info than you wanted to know about fixing it professionally but just in case anyone ever did really want to 'erase' a design, then this is here for their information as well.

Good luck, and I hope that you have already painted it and it's wonderful looking.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2004, 07:59 AM
WC! Guide
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Vance, I have worked on glazed Pottery and Ceramics a number of times.

Make sure the surface is perfectly clean.
Give two coats of Acrylic Sealer, making sure you dry thoroughly between coats.
Then paint two base coats with Acrylic Paint, drying first coat thoroughly before applying the second one -- like 24 hours.
Now you can paint your design in Acrylic Paints.
Seal with 2 or 3 coats of Acrylic Polyurethane Sealer, drying thoroughly between each one.

I did a ceramic plate in this way and painted little bouquets of pink baby Roses on the black background. I have had people who have thought that it was a Royal Winton Chintz plate
I really was pleased with the way it turned out.

Val de Vries
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2004, 01:37 AM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance
Hi all,

I bought a decorative planter in a "going out of business" sale. Its pretty, except for the color of some rose type flowers that are along the rim. Since these are already glazed, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on how to paint over the glazed color (what type of paint to you, medium, etc.) This would a "first time" for me in terms of this type of art!

Gratefully,

Vance
Without going through the firing process you could try Pebeo paints. Pebeo Paints are suitable for most Craft mediums. Pebeo Vitrea 160 and Pebeo Porcelaine 150 are bake in the oven paints suitable for Glass ( Vitrea ) and Glass, china Porcelain etc ( Porcelaine 150 ). Pebeo Vitrail is a solvent based paint giving a stained glass appearance to glass and acetate sheet. It is also suitable for use on metals, such as copper.

jerry