WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2001, 07:14 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States
second time around on a smaller scale

I originally had done this owl on a 32x20 piece of paper and messed it up pretty bad (had the feathers going in the "wrong" direction)...what made matters worse was that I didn't notice the mistake until I hade completed one wing and was finishing up the second...I did try to salvage it but it was beyond that point so there went my competition piece right out the window...lol. I decided to give it another go on a much smaller scale and withought involving the whole layout (the owl is getting ready to land on a branch of a tree). I did do some light altering on this with a compter program since I am having to take photos of my work since my scanner is Kaput. I would like to know though how some of you on here get the smooth texture to some of your works. I have done some practice sketches using blendable pencils and markers and I am really not happy with the way the work. I did not use any of those on this picture but was wondering if when I redo it on a larger scale again those tools might make it look better.
Thanks,
Zoo
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2001, 07:16 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States
this is a more close up shot of the head of the drawing.
Zoo
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2001, 08:39 PM
Lord of the Arts
Indiana

Hails from United States
Like Him/Her. Right time of the year for him.
PhilC
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2001, 03:12 AM
A Local Legend
Indiana

Hails from United States
This looks way cool One of the things I like about CP's is you can get a variety of textures with them. I think the key to the smootheness you are looking for depends on how much pigment you apply, your brand of pencils and what paper you are using. If you use solvent, that too will produce a smoother texture, Arlene has used the solvent successfully, so I will defer to her for the use of the turpenoid . One tip is don't try to burnish without having sufficient pigment down, it doesn't work very well and your paper just gets all messed up .

Seems like you are on the right track, keep up the good work!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2001, 05:32 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States
Smile

Thank you Phil and Ivy
I use Prismacolor pencils (I've tried others and hated them...have a boxful that I won't touch at all lol) and my paper varies between Colored Strathmore (med and heavy), Tientes and Bienfang. I had some of the loveliest paper in the world that I bought in France but when I ran out I found that you can't get it here in the states

I'm still trying to figure out this term burnishing...is that when you apply multiple layers, blending them as you go? When it comes to technical terms I get quite lost I would love to know about that turpenoid as I have read in some of my art magazines about artists using some type of one and getting really great effects.

Thanks again for all of your help and advice,
Zoo
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2001, 07:25 PM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Zoo, I love him gf. The texture makes him. Yay, more please