WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2004, 09:51 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Weekly Scumble - 6/28 - 7/5

Welcome to another week of the Scumble! Join us in our daily chat - keeping it to family, friends, chores, triumphs, woes, pets, and anything else you want to chat about.

---------------------

Dee and Sooz - I hope you will be getting some rain this week! From the weather maps, it does look possible.

Hubby and I spent the weekend finishing up renovating the bathroom - a 3-month project turned into 6 months. Nothing exciting going on here!

Several pastel forum members had shows or art fests this weekend and they turned out well for each - yay, Sandy and Tammy!

If you haven't checked them out, both Kitty Wallis and Jackie Simmonds now have their own forums as IP's (Industry Partners). Beginners will especially enjoy Jackie's new forum where she will be helping out the newbies get started in pastels. Kitty's forum is open to questions on her products - Wallis pastel paper and her hand-made pastels.

The forum has been quiet this week with members gone on vacation or trips. Lots of excitement in the Oil Pastel forum over the proposed weekly op event and Dyin's classroom project. Take a peek if you haven't, op's are a fun medium to try out.

This month's project is slowly getting finished entries in - we need to encourage all those who participate by commenting even if you haven't tried out the project yet.

What's going on in your neck of the woods/desert/seaside/mountain??

Last edited by Kathryn Wilson : 06-28-2004 at 09:54 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2004, 10:44 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Weekly Scumble - 6/28 - 7/5

Rain? YES!!! It's been gray and cloudy, and we actually had drops fall two days ago! Today is gray and promising...

I spent the whole day yesterday with my husband at the homeless shelter. I got to go to his Sunday service and then we took a group of 13 people up to our church, attended that service and then they were all baptized! It was a glorious day!! It was sunny and warm all afternoon and the new baptismal is really beautiful. I didn't have the presence of mind to bring my camera (getting up at 4:30 AM is not conducive to memory, I find) so I have no photos. But the pool is so neat that I've actually thought of painting it, so you may see it one day.

Today I'm off to take mom to do her errands. I sure wish she lived closer. I have to drive almost 50 miles to her house. Is it any wonder we've put 20,000 miles on our car since last October?

Tomorrow I'm back to the computer to writewritewritewrite some more, but should be through that by Wednesday. Then I get to write the next one...

I don't see much chance for painting soon, since once I finish the writing I must finish bricking in the patio, and then I need to paint my kitchen. That's part of the reason I took the month of July off from teaching, so I better not grouse too much! I just hope mine doesn't stretch to six months like yours did Kat! Glad you finished it, though...

Deborah
Gouache Blog

Last edited by Deborah Secor : 06-28-2004 at 10:46 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2004, 11:03 AM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Wow - it's quiet alright on the threads. Ah Summer!!! A time to relax.

Dee - glad to hear you got rain. I know how much those trees needed a drink and this has go to feel welcoming. I'm afraid I can't sympathize about the 50 miles being a long drive to your mom's. My mom is 3,000 miles away and yet aren't we lucky to have phones? She's also coming to visit in July which will be good.

Kat, there must be a pleasant sense of accomplishment in your bathroom project. Congratulations.

Ever felt like a goldfish? or a zoo animal? Well I'm in that predicament this week. We have window installers coming in 30 minutes and it meant removing all window treatments and furniture away from our windows. Ok - not a big deal if you live in the country, but try living across the street from high rise apartments in the city. It's odd!!!

More later - off to check out the threads and put on my chameleon outfit so I can blend in with the walls and furniture.

Barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Kat - I haven't posted here before but have had a look-see a few times, what a nice place to keep up with each other. Isn't it great to complete a project, especially one that takes double the time you thought it would. I hope you are happy with the results. Thanks for the info on Kitty and Jackie's forums, I'll have to check them out, and the oil pastel forum too, I haven't been to see them since the split.

Deborah - Yah!!!! for the 13 baptisms, what a wonderful thing to witness and be a part of, I can hear all of heaven rejoicing! I'm also so thankful for the recent rain, everything smells and looks so fresh. Good luck on your writing and bricking and painting your kitchen, but I hope you find some time to paint also.

I've been busy at my house and had a hard time keeping up lately. I missed the WDE this weekend, but hopefully next weekend will work out. I have my 7 yr old grandson visiting til the middle of August and am very happy to have him here. My daughter, his mom, is coming this week for a 2 week visit also. We had a birthday party last night for my husbands side of the family for 4 members, and my grandsons is on Wed. so we are planning another. But I'm gonna try to paint at least an hour or two a few days this week (I hope).

"Be still and know that I am God" Ps. 46:10
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2004, 11:12 AM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Lots of home improvement going on! You go guys!!!

I spent my weekend playing rotate the horse, a great game in which I get to haul horses in a three county radius, anticipate problems, and hopefully stay on top of whole procedure! Actually, it went much smoother than I thought it would. As a result, I have an Arabian stallion visiting for a couple of weeks, to re-breed my mare. Then we have to play the game again, in reverse! Oh well, I will get a beautiful foal next spring.

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2004, 12:19 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States

Ahhh, equine matchmaking! Sounds more like spring! Good luck with that this time! And you couldn't pay me to haul horses around like that! Looks terrifying, for the driver AND the horse!

Barb, we went through the window thing a couple years back...it's well worth the trouble once it's done, but it IS a giant pain while going on. We had the added excitement of shifting four, no it was five then, dogs from one part of the house to another as the installers progressed from room to room. We also have a front window that makes every bite we take at meatimes and every move we make in the living room into the neighbor's and passersby entertainment; I truly hate that. We just haven't figured out a way of put up anything for privacy that the dogs won't tear down in ten minutes.

Anyway, Barb, my best advice to you is to rent a french can-can outfit and practice up on a rousing song and dance role from Oklahoma! or something! You might even pick up some cash if you put a hat out on the sidewalk!

Kat, I envy you having the bathroom done, finally. We have one upstairs that is still awaiting and new shower surround and another that desperately needs a yucky wallpaper tear-down and sink renewal. We had our kitchen re-done about a year ago this week...it looks wonderful now and I love it, but at the time I thought I'd surely wind up in the looney bin before it was done.

pjo, I hope your birthday party goes well and your daughter enjoys her visit!

So happy to hear about your great weekend, too, Deborah; must feel very good to help folks like that and witness their salvation! Now....WRITEWRITEWRITE!

Now to the subject of RAIN! We had TWO AND A HALF INCHES IN AN HOUR yesterday, this following about four days of other fairly heavy thunderstorms, so the yard is VERY happy. The hail was minimal, thank heavens. BUT apparently the reservoirs are still so low that water rationing is going to become tighter yet by late summer, so we had best enjoy this now. The only problem is that heavy storms like yesterday tend to overflow the house guttering and fill the front flowerbed which causes the window well in the lower basement to fill up with water and flow down the basement wall onto the carpet....it's never catastrophic in scope, but a pain to clean up for sure. We've learned not to store anything important on the floor that side of the room. Anyhoo....Deborah, I hope you get some of this down your way soon! I have this feeling that once this stops, it's gonna be one long, hot summer.

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2004, 12:20 PM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

Happy Monday, y'all. Another week, another 14 different pieces in my head all clamoring to be put on ground somewhere, somehow, by somebody. Drives me nuts.

Gorgeous green and blue weather up here again- this is *SO* unusual that I don't mind blaming it on global warming and buying hairspray with flourocarbons just to keep it going. Okay, so the rivers would be lower- but I'm having touble figuring out why the salmon would be poorly affected- seems to me they'd have an easier time swimming upstream if the snow melt wasn't pouring down in torrents. Two years ago when everything flooded due to record setting mountain snowfalls, Greeners were bemoaning the poor fishies' fates because they were dying in flooded fields- seems like SOMEONE needs to make up their minds. Utopia doesn't exist, Folks; climate is what you expect, and weather is what you get.

Congrats to all and sundry on shows, awards and monetary jackpots- that's a good feeling to have buzzing in your head. New bathrooms, kitchens, patios and colts will be enjoyed, I know, and are worth the hard work in the end. Me- I managed to do some weed-eating and cleaned the front porch (again) so I can sit out there of an evening without being distracted by all the chores needing to be done.

Today is a trip to Mary's, then home again to work on a piece and a few sketches and maybe scoot to town to get a GOOD tripod (it broke this morning as I was trying to get some backlit pics before it got too warm and I hadda close the blinds), and maybe a nap or at least a dreamy doze in the sun. Halibut for supper with, if I'm feeling energetic, slaw and fries. If not, well- rice is nice.

Be well y'all- happy days!

Julie
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2004, 01:17 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from United States

Greetings ya'll..this week I will start repainting and decorating my bedroom using a painting obtained friom a wc member as my inspiration...all shall be revealed!!!! I bought all the paint, supplies, and large area rug for the project yesterday.

Got my new Dell laptop...slowly learning the xp program, but my typing still stinks.

Going to Keaton Beach, FL Thurs, and Fri with a friend from Atlanta...this is a beautiful fishing hamlet that so desolate you can't use your cell phone. Hopefully I will get some good pics. It is the place that my nephew and his 3 friends put out for a deep sea fishing trip last Nov. trip, encountered a storm..the boat was found but no bodies.....its time to go do some healing.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2004, 02:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Hi Everyone!!

Got back from vacation/airshow in Fayetteville, AR...where the water is so high in the lakes that it's up several feet. The show went well and everyone was safe. We took a drive (raining so we couldn't fly) to an airpark in Clinton, AR. The runway was on the top of a mountain. It's a place where they sell lots and you build your home and an airplane hangar right next to eachother. It's really beautiful there. We spent a couple of days just driving up in the Ozarks and had dinner in Eureka Springs one night.

Got home and have been too tired to do anything. Haven't even picked up a pastel in almost 2 weeks. Hope I can remember how to paint.

Deborah, what a wonderful day you had!! Hope everybody is well and happy. Have a great week.

Paula
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Immortalized
Carlisle, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Well, I was going to go and do some plein air this weekend, but the battle was to get out of bed, something kicked my Asthma out of balance and have trying to get it back into balance since...

Preston, no cellphone - sounds like heaven!

Paula, I am sure it will give the thoughts/visions time to focus and the results will be stunning

Sooz, Glad its started raining.. Hope you dont need rationed..

Never deprive someone of hope - it may be all they have. Unknown.

Last edited by domisoft : 06-28-2004 at 03:43 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast
NM

Hails from United States

Hi to all,
I made it to the Arts and Crafts fair in Albuquerque this weekend. Went on Friday and got to see Maggie Prices' lovely pastel paintings and to meet her. Paintings even more beautiful in person. There were several pastelists showing their work. It was a beautiful day, not too hot, and was cloudy and breezy in the early evening. My sister bought a metal abstract dyptch for her new house, and some prints, and a beautiful mirror.

My Mom decided to go back home, she was feeling homesick and decided she was not needing full time care. I do understand, as it would be hard to leave your home and give up your independence. She even drove her car and came to the baby shower for my nephew and his wife on Saturday in Albuq. She lives about 20 minutes away in Los Lunas.

Hope everyone has a great holiday on the 4th.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2004, 08:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonsega
Going to Keaton Beach, FL Thurs, and Fri with a friend from Atlanta...this is a beautiful fishing hamlet that so desolate you can't use your cell phone. Hopefully I will get some good pics. It is the place that my nephew and his 3 friends put out for a deep sea fishing trip last Nov. trip, encountered a storm..the boat was found but no bodies.....its time to go do some healing.

I'm sorry for your loss, prestonsega, I hope the trip serves it's purpose and helps ease some of your pain.

SBJ, after you left with your stash of books, the flowers starting blooming, the cosmos, the dahlias . As for the weather not being normal up here, they've been telling me that since I got here last year, I'm gonna give it 5 yrs to stop being abnormal, if it hasn't by then, I'm going to move to Costa Rica.

Congrats to those of you who had shows and horses and rain and baptisms and things, way to go!

Glad you finally got your remodeling finished, Kat, I remember those days.

I'm glad you had a nice vacation, pford, you are relaxed and ready to paint, right?

Mary

The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera. - Anonymous
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2004, 08:35 AM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States

((Prestonsega)) I am so sorry. That sounds heatwrenching!

I am glad to hear everyone else also had good shows! It is not to be rewarded in some way for all the hard work. It makes me feel like there is osme validity to what I am doing.

Barb, just be careful what you are wearing when you step out of the bathroom!
It reminds me of when we had our roof worked on...there is a little roof right outside our bathroom and even though the blind was closed it was very unsettling being in there with guys right outside. Bleah!

We are having drizzle and grey right now but it is supposed to clear up. I have a busy week but am hoping to do some painting. This morning a friend from our art group is coming over and we will work on a postcard advertising an upcoming event. At least it is art related!

Have a great week all of you!

Sandy

My WC Gallery
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2004, 11:54 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

RAIN!!!

Yep, some of that moisture made it past Sooz's place and fell down here last night. I can't tell you what a thrill it was to wake up and hear that sound. I had to get up and close the windows on my French doors to keep it from splashing in--but I wanted to just open it all up and get wet!!! It smells like the sweetest perfume you can imagine out there this morning. I almost took a photo of a puddle to post here--but then I figured most of you have seen them lately....

I just pray that God sends MORE our way!

KATY, I went to the NMACF too. In fact, I posted a thread in the OP studio sharing the website of a painter I admired. Her work was great--very typical of northern NM with bright colors. Her name is Jennifer Cavan.

Four of my former students were showing, three of them men and showing there for the first time, so it was fun to visit everyone. I admired so much of the work--not just the pastels--and it was all very inspiring.

But today I have to write...she said, reminding herself of the timer ticking away over there. (I had to set it or I'll get all tied up in here again!)

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2004, 02:54 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States

So sorry to hear about your sad anniversary, prestonsega! Horrible thing to happen to anyone!

Deborah, I'm SO glad you got some rain! Yep, it's like magic when you finally have a shower after months of drought, isn't it? I think we're finally drying out up here, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't mean hot and dry now for the rest of the summer. It's still cooler than normal and that's nice all by itself.

I have GOT to spend the day vacuuming dog hair! The border collie is leaving clumps everywhere and runs off every time I wave a brush at her...I can't see how she can have any hair LEFT looking around this house!

But I've also set up a veggie still life downstairs....had I slept better last night, I'd already be down there painting it, but alas...last night was one of those where nobody in the house seemed to rest well; I often wonder if it's the phase of the moon or something...

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry