WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2004, 03:31 AM
Willamette Valley, Oregon

Hails from United States
Question Need new monitor and printer, opinions please

I've been researching monitors and printers, and I'm more confused than ever. I'm giving up on the reviewers and advertising blurbs, I need answers from real people.

I have a small home business doing desktop publishing and photo retouching and manipulation and digital art. I'm not high volume, but I need equipment that is reliable and inexpensive to run. I also want to run prints of my fine artwork to sell.

The monitor needs to be able to calibrate to accurate color. LCD or CTR? I know the CTRs used to be more accurate, but I know artists who love their LCDs. Am I also going to need a separate calibration program?

I'm not looking to run high volume, but I do need photo quality, plus the ability to run different types of paper or canvas. I sometimes will do a run of a hundred Christmas cards. I probably don't need to go too large a format, but can't use the little photo printers, too small. I also need my graphics to turn out well, which I've noticed some photo quality printers don't do.

So, if you were buying a monitor and a printer right now, what would you buy? I have to turn this in on my business plan and I'm getting panicky!

I'm posting this on the tech board too, any place else I should ask?

Thanks!

Renae
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2004, 05:20 PM
Immortalized
Lexington, South Carolina

Re: Need new monitor and printer, opinions please

I am not going to say anything real specific here, but I would definately go with a CRT, they really are far more accurate when it comes to prointing what you see.

As far as printers go..I would suggest you look into an Epson printer. They have quite a wide variety of printers as somewhat resonable prices...Good luck on the hunt.
It's two a.m...........
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2004, 09:30 PM

Ok, you need to go with a CRT monitor. LCD just isn't quite there yet... especially for the type of work you are wanting to do. "Maximum PC" magazine says their top choices are:

High-end CRT monitor: Sony F520
Budget end CRT monitor: Cornerstone P1750

I've only heard good things about Epson printers lately. If I were looking to buy a color printer, I would probably look there first.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Singapore

For printer, get one that uses separate ink cartridges to save on ink cost in the long run.

Since you will be printing cards, its important to get a printer that can handle heavy weight paper and best a straight paper path so the cards wont get curled up. The now discontinued HP Deskjet 1200C has this feature.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2004, 11:27 PM
A Local Legend
West coast USA

Hails from United States

I bought a new monitor and printer about a year ago and did a lot of research first. I had wanted a LCD but everything i read aabout them suggested that for graphics they weren't the best choice. I bought an NEC 19# crt monitor and I have been very happy with it!

As far as printers, I have two. One is an older Epson 660 color stylus, and one an Epson photo 925. The first I love, the second I hate and regret buying!!!

Before you make a decision I would check into the price of the ink for them! I buy generic in cartridges for my Epson and have been totally happy with them. And only about 15% of the price of epson inks. Printer inks for some brands are way more expensive than others and some cannot be found in generics. I would also suggest that you check out Circuit City online. Not so much to buy but they give very good information about the products and have a good customer review section to help make your decision. I looked for reviews all over the web before I bought the monitor but wasn't so careful with the printer.

Sony Nex6, Nikon P610, Sony WX300, SEL55/210, SEL3.5/30 Macro, SEL16/50, 1.8/50

Last edited by Chiers : 06-21-2004 at 11:29 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Tucson

Hails from United States

Try the reviews section of www.cnet.com . You can get a good idea of what's available and pricetags.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2004, 01:19 AM
Willamette Valley, Oregon

Hails from United States

Thank you everyone,

Actually, the more specific information is what I need. I've been to cnet and a bunch of other similar sites, and find all that conflicting and confusing. So much tech-speak, so little real information. I promise I will not complain about any one's opinion, I'll still be doing my own research. Just a lot of the info is generic and not slanted towards artists. Let's face it, we are MUCH pickier about color than most computer users. So I appreciate any feedback I can get.

So far, it looks like CRTs, hands down. I can't get those locally, so I'll have to buy on-line. For some reason, our local computer stores have extremely limited selections. The guy at Circuit City told me CRTs are obsolete and they don't carry them! See why I need HELP!!!

Epsons used to have reliability issues. Do those of you with Epsons feel that isn't the case any more?

Thank you all so much,
Renae
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2004, 02:32 AM
A Local Legend
West coast USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
As far as printers, I have two. One is an older Epson 660 color stylus, and one an Epson photo 925. The first I love, the second I hate and regret buying!!!

The 660 always was, and still is a great printer that give great results. The newer 925, is extremely unreliable, paper jams, ink jets clog quickly just a stinky printer.

Sony Nex6, Nikon P610, Sony WX300, SEL55/210, SEL3.5/30 Macro, SEL16/50, 1.8/50

Last edited by Chiers : 06-22-2004 at 02:35 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast
Halifax, NS Canada

Hails from Canada

I have C84 and love it except the ink is too damn expensive and the getting the double size black rather difficult, to replace the four cartridges including the double black is 105$ Can it is a Dura Brite ink and though it is a pigment ink so far I've had rather good results on regular Epson Photo Papers I can't get their special paper for this ink here. I think my biggest complaint is I can't get an affordable non-oem here there is one avaiable in the US at a great price.

Edie