WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2004, 03:18 AM

Cutting plexiglass

Hi everyone,

I've been working on a project where I need to cut plexiglass into circular shapes. Anyone have any recommendations as to what tool may do the best job? The circle varies in size from regular cup diameter to a biggie salad bowl diameter. I'm not looking to buy any heavy machinery, just something that'll cut the plexiglass in circles...HELP!!!

Freakmoh
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2004, 12:22 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Cutting plexiglass

you could use a drill & a hole saw attachment for the smaller holes. A rotozip comes with a attachment for cutting circles up to around a foot . a scroll saw could be used also . after you make your cuts to finish the cut edges sand them down good and seal them with clear acrylic to get the shine back if needed .

later , the fish
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2004, 02:59 PM
WC! Guide
Kenosha Wi

Hails from Canada

What ever you use make sure you support the edges that will help stop the chipping...and go slow, with a fine blade.
Alan
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2004, 03:00 PM
WC! Guide
Kenosha Wi

Hails from Canada

PS welcome to the forum....
Alan
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBoy
A rotozip comes with a attachment for cutting circles up to around a foot

If "rotozip" is what I think it is - the newer "rotary saw" cutting tool - then I heartily agree it's a better cutter for plexiglass than using a scroll saw of jig saw or any saw with a reciprocating blade. The only problem I see with the rotary cutter is using the "jig" for circles implies making some sort of mark at the center of the piece - at the anchor point. That may not be acceptable if the circle cutout is the object of the cut. IOWs, if you were 'wasting' the center, there would be no concern for making an anchor point.

So, a workaround for the anchor point would be to use another layer of something that will not move around while the cut is being made. I'd have to work it out since I've never done this. Good idea though!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2004, 09:31 AM
just above Saratoga Springs NY

Hails from United States

Try mounting the plexiglass onto a piece of masonite using something like rubber cement, which can be peeled off later. This will give greater weight and help eliminate scratches produced by the motion of the operation. You can set up a centerpoint on the masonite to help rotate evenly without risking a mark on the clear plexiglass. I also suggest that you put masking tape over the areas you plan to cut to reduce chipping. Lastly, don't breathe the fumes! Nasty toxic stuff will give you a headache.