WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast
Hythe, Hampshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Sheriff dude!

Another one of these - a couple of hours on the smudger. This time a bit looser in style & more like the kind of thing I would like to be able to do in oils.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Michigan

Hails from United States
Re: Sheriff dude!

This is Great Andrew. What are program are you working with?
By the way, my hubbies Mom was a "Gertrude Rance" and her ancestors were pioneers who emigrated from Ireland to South Africa. Paddy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast
Hythe, Hampshire, UK

Hi Paddy - this is Corel Painter Classic, done on a Wacom tablet. The Rance connection is interesting, as there aren't too many of us, but no connection with the Emerald Isle on my side of the family, as far as I know.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Immortalized
Lexington, South Carolina

Andrew,
I think you should throw away your "real" brushes and just do this!...LOL, it is always a joy to see the magnificent art works you post!
It's two a.m...........
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2004, 03:13 AM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Andrew,
this one would look great printed on canvas...
...on the wall of a bar or lounge , as this one 'feels' like a happy painting.

I love your style, probably because i relate to the way it develops without prior sketching, but 'smear-sculpting' paint around , instead.
Very expressive style...
Regards
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

Andrew, your style is exciting. I agree that this would look tremedous transferred to canvas or another art paper. Gutsy stlye cow poke!

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast
Hythe, Hampshire, UK

Thanks guys - think I'm getting somewhere here, and working a few things out along the way. Any suggestions where I would go to get these printed on canvas? I've heard of giclee printing, but haven't a clue what its all about. Tried printing them on inkjet canvas, and the results were promising, but only A4 - I'd like to try getting them up to about 30 x 24 in - the originals are around 3000 x 2400 pixels - is that about right for that size of printing, or will I end up all pixellated??
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2004, 04:13 PM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

There is a member that she's printing Gicleé with the epson 9600 , ultrachrome 7 inks.
that printer is capable of unpixellate your graphics , but it's a lot easier if you do it in your program by converting to a higher resolution and/or larger size.
Although, i can see you have a wealthy size already, i would say you got it all covered already.
Let me locate that lady for ya ..
be back in a jiffy

--------
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2004, 04:26 PM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Andrew,
check this thread out and you'll find lots of answers..
->thread on Gicleé printing

if you need anything else just PM me i'll be around for a while.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast
Hythe, Hampshire, UK

Cheers Jorge - that was an interesting and useful thread. Now I'm off to find me a Giclee printer (or look at investing in my own equipment, maybe). How do you get on with the Epson?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2004, 08:43 AM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rance
Cheers Jorge - that was an interesting and useful thread. Now I'm off to find me a Giclee printer (or look at investing in my own equipment, maybe). How do you get on with the Epson?
Andrew, glad you found it helpful.

About the 7600 it's a noble machine (if that quality can be applied to a machine), a tireless workhorse.
I leave it working at 8 p.m. and at 6 a.m. it's still going as fresh as ever.

I'm very comfortable with its output, i haven't used full resolution yet and the results are great.
it has a great hands-off, algorithm routine for de-pixellating small graphics when blown up to large sizes.
It has many optional surfaces for printing...for instance:
It can print on a special-coated canvas that can be stretched and framed , and ....that print looks like a real painting.
If it does that, to my incipient pantings, just imagine what it will do to your beauties....

.....and i could go on and on...

**in the beginning the only drawback was, finding enough work for it, as the inks have to be used in a 6-month period, or be discarded.

I fully recommend it..... you'll love it !

if you need more info check large format printers at Epson's site.
Its [url=http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/Printers.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=0]printers section/URL] has many new options for archival prints in all sizes.

Thanks..
Regards

Last edited by Jet Liera : 06-04-2004 at 08:46 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

Hi Andrew & Jet. I just want to tack on an important point. I've been doing giclee's for quite sometime now, and I want to emphasize that if you go that route, make sure that the company that transfers your art is using an archival process including archival inks.

Some companys offer both. Non archival giclee prints are cheaper, but hardly worth the expense. If you are producing works that you intend to sell, It's imparative that you go the archival route. Your reputation will suffer if you don't... non archival prints can fade in as little as 3 years even if you treat them with a fancy UV protecting varnish.

Archival prints on the other hand can last a upwards of 200 years. As you can see, it's worth the extra loot. Just build it into the price of the artwork.

Jet, I don't know much about your particular desktop printer, but it sounds great. Do they make archival inks for it? Even if they don't, it sounds like a great option for proofing and such.

Ok gusys, that's all.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast
Hythe, Hampshire, UK

Thanks guys - I have been doing a bit of scouting around the web and come across a lot of info on giclee, and see that the issue of ink quality is a big concern. I also noted a big difference in the range of prices being quoted for printing on to canvas - a factor of ten in some cases! So it seems there must be a few cowboys around! I think the big Epsons are way out of my range, but I see there is a new Epson Stylus 4000 out, which can print on canvas up to 17" wide and from roll material with the Ultrachrome inks. At around $1700 it looks interesting.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2004, 04:13 PM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Yes Andrew, that's one of the new high-res printers with archival inks from Epson. it has nice size carrier (17") and it's very compact .

The difference is about carrier size, mostly.

excellent choice if you go for it.

Regards
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2004, 04:34 PM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoop
Hi Andrew & Jet. I just want to tack on an important point. I've been doing giclee's for quite sometime now, and I want to emphasize that if you go that route, make sure that the company that transfers your art is using an archival process including archival inks.
Jet, I don't know much about your particular desktop printer, but it sounds great. Do they make archival inks for it? Even if they don't, it sounds like a great option for proofing and such.

Ok gusys, that's all.

Joel,
you're right on your concern about archival ink.

The printer i use nowadays is the Epson 7600 UltraChrome
7- color archival ink, i have used the 9600 but sold it and bought the smaller 7600.
Lady Rando a WC member, does professional Gicleé printing and she uses the Epson 9600 Ultrachrome inks

Next is a brief excerpt from Lady Rando's : Dowit Studio.
you may click on the graphic to warp to her studio FAQ page

From Dowit Studio's FAQ page
Quote:

What type of printer do you use?
EPSON STYLUS PRO 9600 - printing capabilities up to 44 inches wide x 100 ft. long. Epson created a brand new Micro Piezo DX3™ print head which a capable of producing a resolution of 2,880 x 1,440 dpi. Epson's most advanced print head ensures a level of print quality that must been seen to be believed.

What type of materials (media) do you print Giclée's on?
We print on Epson media canvas and watercolor paper. Epson canvas is acid free, 100% cotton duck. Epson watercolor paper (Somerset Velvet) is acid free, 100% cotton rag. Both are archival quality and when used with Epson Ultrachroma pigment inks are rated up to 100 years light fastness.

Joel this printer is not a desktop's, it's huge, it broke one of my old desks when i first got it, and had to buy its own stand for it....
Take a look at wide format printers at Epson's printers section

Great toy indeed !

see you later , mon amí

Last edited by Jet Liera : 06-04-2004 at 05:11 PM.