WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Mayberry-by-the-Sea on the Left-Coast

Hails from United States
Commanding the Elements

This construction is made up of scanned images, original photos, and drawn elements. I know there's been a lot of discussion (ad nauseum) about what constitutes digital art. Well, to me the computer hardware and software are just the tools I use with my own art process to create another reality. That being said, here's the construction. -- Lori
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2004, 08:25 PM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: Commanding the Elements

Hi LoriJayne,
This is called digital montage or collage depending on the elements included and process involved.

It looks very artistic...
.... i used to do them a lot when i first started getting my feet wet in digital image processing.

Regards
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Immortalized
Lexington, South Carolina

No matter what you want to call it...I like it!!!
It's two a.m...........
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

Amen to that Michael. Very dramatic and nicely done!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2004, 10:47 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
It looks very artistic...
i used to do them a lot when i first started getting my feet wet in digital image processing.

I am hoping you didn't mean this to be as condescending as it sounds. I am not a beginner.

Quote:
This is called digital montage or collage depending on the elements included and process involved.

What is your authority for this designation? You sound like an expert.

Sorry, I don't mean to be contentious but I am tired of seeing artists' works on this forum constantly "labeled" and that digital works that imitate the traditional media (oil, pastel, etc.) are deemed as somehow "better". As an artist, by nature I resist categorization. I will explore all the functions that the a medium has and implement them in my final product. I've done this with paint and chalk and I am doing it with software. My process is valid and in no way inferior. If my point of view means that I or may ART are not welcomed on this forum, than I'll gladly depart.

Thank you.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2004, 10:49 PM

Hails from United States

Oh, yes, and thank you Joel and Michael.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
ohio

Hails from United States

Very nice LoriJayne, I like this one a lot

gloria
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Immortalized

What you have done here IS Digital Art, well, in my opinion anyway. LOL, and we all have an opinion on what constitutes this, which, to me, makes the whole style exciting . While there may be an argument saying that you did not do it "completely" from scratch or what not does not take away from the fact that you are the one that had the vision, the personal style, and the vision to create what you have here.

As for the labels Digital montage or collage, that is just being technical. In other words, you used elements of these to acomplish your vision, or work. I would not take offence At these "labels", but instead embrace thenm as "tools of the trade" which is exactly what they are. I do anyway, because I use them in some of my work myself, and as such, look forward to seeing how others use them.

I should mention here that Jorge's chosen form of art is Digital Art, so don't feel that he is condescending towards you. I have known him for quite some time and recognize when he is being technical, which he was here.

Either way, I don't think you are any longer "struggling to set the inner artist free", because, from what I see, you have succeded wonderously in doing so!!

I can't wait to see more of your work!!

Hmmm...I think I talk too much
It's two a.m...........
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2004, 10:18 AM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

Lori, Jet is known for embracing all forms of art. I do understand your sensitivity toward the subject. We've all been taken to task for one reason or another as we explore the this beautiful frontier that is digital art. I think he was mis-understood in this instance... he would be the first to tell you that what you've posted is clearly artistic and beautiful.

Please keep posting here... your work is an asset to this forum.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2004, 12:42 AM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorijayne
This construction is made up of scanned images, original photos, and drawn elements. I know there's been a lot of discussion (ad nauseum) about what constitutes digital art. Well, to me the computer hardware and software are just the tools I use with my own art process to create another reality. That being said, here's the construction. -- Lori
OOps, Lorijayne, i just took a long nap and i find the world tumbling down...
Sorry if i sounded -to you- the way i believe i did....

...by the way you explained in your post you sounded very deffensive, so i tried NOT to entice anything further.. ..

Thanks to my 'warrior' background in Wet Canvas (as Michael and Joel have witnessed) , i can PROUDLY assure you , i embrace all digital Art as is, and respect every Digital Artist as well.

In my brief comment i said, "it looks very artistic" as the END of the means-
About montage and collage- I have said (ad nauseum) in earlier posts how i did those in traditional photography, as darkroom techniques 25 years ago...
I have had endless discussions (ad nauseum)- always deffending digital art, -even photo manips and collages and filters and plugins- when done with artistic sense and taste, just like your art piece right here.

It is my duty as Guide of Digital Art Forum, that new members and /or newbies in this type of art, feel welcome at this forum...At the same time, taking care that this forum is used for the purpose it was originally created: Straight Digital Art [no manipulations], so at some stage the ONLY detail that could have been a topic of discussion would be that your work might be at the wrong forum, but i didn't want to be too drastic or hard on you.....

When i first got into WC and posted my first works, NOBODY replied anything, and when somebody did they were hard and picky....i thought my works weren't up to their usual quality or they just didn't care .....

BUT, in ART as in LOVE beauty is a personal thing, and as artists we have to learn FIRST to deal with rejection...It happens very often an artist shows his/her works here and gets 9 positive reviews/replies, and 1 negative ...
...the artist gets all tangled up at that member who dared expressing his/her feelings toward that art piece....
That's one of the reasons many members don't reply or just stay with the 'nice work, keep it up' thing.....
So, even if 100 replies say your work sucks, at the end, your opinion is the one that must prevail-

I am terrible sorry for not being as clear as i should 've been from the
beginning, but here it goes again---

Lorijayne,
you're welcome to Digital Art Forum, the Haven for digital artists...
At this forum we encourage the use of straight digital means for doing ART.

Your have done a beautiful art piece, i love how you have placed all the elements in a congruent and meaningful way, i like the golden hues all around the piece, which seem to enhance and convey a certain mood.

I like it very much,but as classification goes: my only doubt would be if it qualifies as a straight digital art piece or as a digital manipulation art piece.

Maybe that's where lies the confusion and not on the question if it is or isn't digital art....
...I know i've had my share of mistakes about it -believe me-...

One thing you will NEVER hear at Wet Canvas is, that you're not welcome, so please erase that from your mind, and never to be mentioned again.

Regards

Last edited by Jet Liera : 05-28-2004 at 12:45 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2004, 11:48 AM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Lori,
I seem to reply to threads and always talk technical stuff, that's my way of getting my head to focus on the picture in turn ....

You and i have come a long way, i tend to reply to your threads in a similar manner and you hadn't reacted this way ever before...
Please take a look at these threads you have started at this forum, check my replies there-

1.-05-22-2004
Woman with Chakras
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet
I love this type of illustrations and great topic

2.-04-20-2004
Mausoleum Mandala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet
Good job, nice combination of vector and raster images.
-in this thread i was the only one who replied to your posting-

3.-02-10-2004
Antiqued Woman
--You started this thread with these words:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori
Yeh, yeh, I know-- a photo manip. but I thought I'd toss it up here anyway. I was trying to acheive a antiqued look plus an air of mystery.
---Number of replies ...Zero.
*This photo manip is very well done and I'm sure you would've gotten many replies if you had posted it in the correct forum.

4.-01-02-2004
Fruit Still Life
*This piece looks like it's been done from scratch-
-in my reply here, i confess my inexperience toward Straight Digital Art, as follows.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet
Well, i've just began training my eye for a new way to look at art (too many manips), i'll have to second Ex-Skinny's (perfection) -No words-

5.- 12-16-2003
First Wacom Tablet Sketch
*Here you were asking for critique on your very first drawing with a Wacom tablet -
--I was the first one to reply--
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet
Well, it goes further than a sketch, into a painting rendition.
you already have the notions, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Which tablet did you get ?
*----------------------------------------------------

After this brief background check, i see that you have never felt unwelcome before by my words, -or the lack of-...
...My guess is, you were expecting your picture being rejected, knowing before hand this forum wasn't the right place for it...
... i refrained from making this evident in my first reply as i didn't want to stir the waters, but apparently my description of the techniques used on the picture triggered your answers...

I don't see any reasons -past or present-, to be mad or angry, so please, feel Welcome at posting in this forum anytime .

-If you need anything else you can PM me-anytime-.

Regards

Last edited by Jet Liera : 05-28-2004 at 11:52 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Philippines

Guys:

First off let me say that Jet was in the right to clarify what he felt your piece was... that said, he did apologize if in doing so it hit a nerve, that of course was unintentional, we do NOT pick fights here. That happens in other forums when we as Digital Artists try to share our work with traditionalists. So we certainly don't and won't be doing any stirring up the natives here, no pun intended Jet ...

As for the piece in question, it does bring up a good arguement. Should we have our own subforum for Digital Montage? I think so... I will discuss this further with our Guides and let everyone know what happens. As it is, we won't be moving your very skillful piece to a new home, this is where you belong.

Bobby
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2004, 01:47 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you for your comments. Until such time as this forum develops a clear, coherent, and inclusive definition of "Digital Art", I will post my artwork on my own website so as not to "stir up the natives". Anyone so inclined may view my work at:

http://members.aol.com/poemcaster

Lori
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2004, 12:01 AM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorijayne
Thank you for your comments. Until such time as this forum develops a clear, coherent, and inclusive definition of "Digital Art", I will post my artwork on my own website so as not to "stir up the natives".
Lori

Lori, sorry you feel that way....
Although, you seem to have a point ...
Because there's no prohibition for posting any digital piece here.
i guess it has to be renamed to Straight Digital Art Forum and estipulated clearly, no straight digital look-alikes or mockery of any kind..and ennumerate everykind of possible digital art that's not permitted like paintovers and cloned images and the like, but in the meantime, let's see the rules of

------------------Digital Manipulation forum Rules--------------------
...as they are a lot easier to understand...

* This is a forum for presenting and discussing digital art created from our own photos. Please share your methods with your fellow manipulators so we can all learn from each other.

* Photos that have been adjusted (contrast changes, sharpened, converted to grayscale, etc) are traditionally considered "touched-up" and should go in The Darkroom.

*The Manipulation Forum is for when you've taken your photo to a different level by creating a look that mimics other mediums, like sketches and watercolors, collages and whatever else you can think of to take your photo beyond traditional darkroom techniques.
-------------------------------------
I believe this is what you were looking for..
it clearly says "collage" work goes to Digital manipulation forum and any other that mimics, like those paintovers that had been appearing from time to time should go to the Manips place....

we might not have a coherent inclusive definition of digital art but we have a clear definition of what is considered a photomanip.
i still believe there should be a sign with the works that aren't supposed to be here .
Because that's digital art too, so the forum needs a new name, that way when you or i or anyone else read "Straight Digital Art", you'll say , hey this collage is not straight digital art, then find another forum for it.
Now is it clear enough for you ?

From now on, you can post those pictures at the digi manips forum, and post here, one done with straight digital technique, and no hurt feelings , ok?..
Regards

Last edited by Jet Liera : 06-02-2004 at 12:07 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Immortalized

Lorijayne,

Please do not get frustrated or discouraged with WetCanvas or the Digital Forums right now. In reality, you have brought up an argument that has gone on quite a while between the two forums. Now, I call The ASYLUM home, That is to say, that while I do post work here, involve myself in the projects here, the majority of my work is Digital manipulations, and that is where my heart is. Well...Here too...LOL.

To make long short, please, come on over to The Asylum ((Digital Manipulation Discussions)--CLICK HERE), would love to have you and see your work!!!
It's two a.m...........