WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast
Nelson, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
New Process

Hi everyone,

My art teacher has had me try something new to help me break away from my crutch of needing reference photos.

I mixed 33 colours and covered the whole canvas letting the colours tell me what size and shape they needed to be. Then I mixed more colours and painted the next layer again letting the colour tell me where it needed to go.

Whilst I was doing this I had to see if the painting told me what it was going to be and I got "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players, they have their entrances and their exits."

During the second layer, my cat went missing and I was really worried about her. My colours were getting darker and darker and the painting was looking more and more like the a mass of coloured splodges.

Then suddenly (after my cat had come home) I saw the side of a face and the following is what eventuated.

I admit to having a look on the net for ideas on the proscenium arch and the curtains, but I didn't print them out and copy them at all.

Anyway, whilst I'm pleased (and somewhat amazed) at what has come out from this process, I don't think I have managed to get it to "pop" yet. So, I hope all you experts out there can lend some advice.

Thanks.

Oh, it's 36"x26" (my largest piece yet). I'm sorry that a lot of the detail has been lost, let me know if you want some close ups.

Jo
Attached Images

Last edited by odge : 05-15-2004 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add measurements
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2004, 07:09 AM
A WC! Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States
Re: New Process

No expert here but I will have a shot okay?
Wow - if I had been in your class I wouldve been in the back hyperventilating! You came out like a champ tho. This is lovely. You didnt upload the photo so I cant see it while commenting but I will do my best from memory. (oh no, LOL)
Th railing drew my eye straight to the womans lovely light filled face - then I wanted to look to the left to see what held her gaze and noticed the actor on the stage. The stage, woman all done so well. Your painting tells a story Jo.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast
Nelson, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks for looking and commenting Angie. I'm glad you like it.

I consider myself to be really lucky to have found my art teacher. He's a bit "out there", but he certainly knows what he's talking about and how to get the best out of people. Also, whilst I'm part of a class, we are all at different stages and he gives everyone different projects depending on their skills, hang-ups etc. I'm the only person in my class who is working through this process, so you wouldn't need to rush out and get the paper bag.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Jo
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
Calgary AB

Hails from Canada

Wonderful subject matter. I like your composition.

"Art is an outsider, a gypsy over the face of the earth." ~Robert Henri
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2004, 01:07 PM
A Local Legend
Wales UK

Hails from Netherlands

mmmm,how to make it pop!!

well let me first tell you,what a great job you have done with a very complicated painting,beautifull color harmony,and great composition

if you paint all the areas that are in the shadow much darker,the lady and stage will come out much brighter,like two sites of a coin;there is no light without darkness

also cool colors against warm colors,can make tings stand out

your shadows are to grey,the lady has hardly any shadow,like under her arm and on the back of her neck,you can make the arm darker and have just a highlight on the top

I hope this helps,if not come back for more!!

Rob
painting le tour
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast
Nelson, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks Blumoon.

Rob, I knew I could count on you to offer some great advice. Isn't it funny how the advice received is often exactly the same as the advice given. LOL
I'll give that a go and see if it "pops".
Thanks for looking and your feedback.

Jo
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2004, 04:53 PM

Hails from Abu Dhabi

Great painting. Personally, I like the soft shadows and subtle changes in texture. The details on stage are really excellent! You really captured the two dimensions of those trees well! Composition is great. I agree with Bobbo that pulling a few more darks into her area would help a lot. Perhaps take a look at some Lautrec? He's got tons of lithos and paintings of the stage.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2004, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast
Nelson, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks prepsage, I'll go see if I can find some information on Lautrec and I will definitely add some more contrast to her. I'll post the pic when I've done this.

Jo