WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Airbrush
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: What type/brand of airbrush do you use?
Aztek 33 5.48%
Badger 112 18.60%
Iwata 322 53.49%
Thayer & Chandler 29 4.82%
Paasche 153 25.42%
Sotar 5 0.83%
Other 133 22.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 602. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 12:09 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from United States
Re: Airbrush Poll

Penny has jokes! hehehehehhe

Yeah, well, see, when it popped out, I heard it LAND on the hard kitchen floor across the room. So, naturally I thought I could see it w/flashlight but I had to look all over the kitchen/dining area and THEN I saw it at the edge of the living room carpet. Yeah, I got lucky. But next time I might not be so lucky. It pays to have Mag-Protect from Iwata - the new air valve spring cover protection plan. DOH!

Well, my trigger only sticks when I first pull it back after I take it apart. Once I put needle in and lube the needle, no sticking. Maybe try Super Lube on the needle. Works great for me.

Tim
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 07:49 AM
Iowa

Hails from United States

Will a magnet pick up brass?
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 08:08 AM
A Local Legend
Central New York

Hails from United States

Yesterday I saw all the O-rings in the store, they came 2 in a pack and cost $5.

Now, if the trigger is sticking you replace 14 and if I recall their is an o-ring on 15-C. You may also wish to replace the spring 15-D, not sure why but the one I replaced seemed OK but didn't it still stuck, I replaced it and it was good to go (boy was I glad I bought it just 'cause)

15-A comes out with a set of tweesers, be careful because that darn spring is pushing it out at the same time you are unskrewing it. I put a bath down on the kitchen table so if they fall or shoot out, it comes out towards the towel and won't bounce off the table.

Needle sticking:
You said you had paint that you are still getting out of it, so I'm guessing you still have some serious cleaning to do. if you are talking about parts 5 & 6, I have never seen them and I haven't a clue how to get them out. If cleaning is done thoroughly and it's still happening then yes, maybe you should have it sent in and replaced and yes, if I ever had to do it I would have it replaced with teflon so that it never happened again. BUT...check the cost out Good and see if there are other places besides Coast that will do this. Coast charges a fortune on shipping. Personally, I would compare the prices on a rebuild with the cost of a used brush before I committed to having it re-built.

"No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 08:15 AM
A Local Legend
Central New York

Hails from United States

LOL, we were posting at the same time, no a magnet will not pick up brass, and I just pulled out my little container of spare parts and none of them are magnetic.

"No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Iowa

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny220
Now, if the trigger is sticking you replace 14 and if I recall their is an o-ring on 15-C. You may also wish to replace the spring 15-D, not sure why but the one I replaced seemed OK but didn't it still stuck, I replaced it and it was good to go (boy was I glad I bought it just 'cause)

15-A comes out with a set of tweesers, be careful because that darn spring is pushing it out at the same time you are unskrewing it. I put a bath down on the kitchen table so if they fall or shoot out, it comes out towards the towel and won't bounce off the table.

I could "see" the o-ring 14 but I ran a cleaning brush through the valve core with some cleaner. then reassembled every thing and lubed the piston with baby oil to see if it would slide easier. 15-c might need lubed also. I know baby oil is pronably not the best thing in an airbrush, but is the something I can get local that could be use to lube internal parts?

I'm not worried my HP-C needle it's just when I first move the needle after it has not been used in a while but after that it works fine. Half of the f_16 was done with the HP-C.

Joe
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 09:15 AM
A Local Legend
Central New York

Hails from United States

I thought I had posted this but I hadn't
Attached Images

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 09:17 AM
A Local Legend
Central New York

Hails from United States

YIKES, baby oil, bad, bad, very bad. order some media lube or magic lube today!!!! http://www.bearair.com You can get any parts you need from them as well.

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Iowa

Hails from United States

Magic lube like this?
http://www.123ponds.com/ap630.html
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2004, 11:18 AM
A Local Legend
Central New York

Hails from United States

That's it. But here's the deal. It's a necessity to have for your airbrushes, a tube last forever, it costs between $4 and $6 for a 1 oz bottle/tube. but by the time you get done paying shipping for it, you might as well have ordered some paints or parts to go along with it, that is why I suggested ordering from bear air, the other thing about bear is they send free stuff on your first order and after a $100 in any given year, they send you a coupon for more stuff. their shipping is about the cheapest too, they usually ship the next day etc etc etc.

Coast has price matching. Yes,they will get you on shipping but before placing an order I check all online suppliers, get the prices, call coast and tell them what I am paying for each part. But if you have a few things for the list it's well worth it. I hate their shipping though, it's slow (mainly, I live in NY so Bears is next day for me and coast can take up to 10 days) and it's expensive, bear air is really reasonable.

Point is, if you buy the bottle for $4 but pay 6 for shipping, the bottle cost you $10 and all you get is the lube, order at an airbrush supply store, throw in your gaskets etc and the shipping price won't increase so you actually save money even if you are paying more for the lube itself.

Grok?

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Iowa

Hails from United States

I think I found the magic lube at pool supply store close by.
5 oz $6.49. I need to fing their address and stop by and get some.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Rochester, New York

Hails from United States

[quote=ProfessorGreibowitz]

I agree about the Aztec for sure, Iv'e tried it for doing t-shirts but didnt like it at all so I just use that one for my plastic models. I have a Badger 360 D/A bottom feed and gravity in one. Great air brush for whatever im doing 1 out of 10 i give it a 10!!!!!! I just bought a Iwata Eclips bottom feed D/A and found hat is great to. I have 2 more Badger air-brushes there both 150 models and both are great to, but none so far have compared to the Badger 360model to me yet! Gravity cup can be turned 360Degrees to use as a bottom feed. I would like to get a Vega 2000 though to try out, I heard they are nice air brushes. Take care. Manny

My Site: www.mannyclub.com
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2004, 03:43 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from United States

Someone needs to redo the tongue-sneer smiley. It is being confused with a mere smile.

Tim
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2004, 12:33 AM

Thumbs up Re: Airbrush Poll

Hi all, Am a newbe to Wet Canvas and was readiing here your aribrush poll and thought I would post.

I have a total I think 9 brushes . Iwata B ,Bader 150 - and 155 Paasche vl ...they all have thier own flavor of brushing. The Iwata- B is great for atomization..The badger are useful for larger work but work well for smaller projects. The Badger 150 is very good brush...Good triggering...easy to pull back and hold and no tip dry to speak of . The paasche is like holding a catcher's mit in the outfield but has some really good effects...And seems to be an air hog

The reason I have such a variations in brushes is that I wanted to try them all out and see what ones worked for me and which ones didnt . Each in thier own right do a fantastic job.

Two brush manufactures I normally use is the Iwata and badger.

The spring in the Iwata B is tougher and have heard that there was a way to modify it. But till now havent found or known how to adjust it . NOW I DO KNOW
Thanks to this forium .

One adjustment I read some whereas else with theIwata B was to grind down the tip for paint picking when the head clogs. Hmmm I f I had to do it again I may re-think this over. I may not opt to do any grinding on it...Thus It makes the needle exposed and just touching the neelde to the canvas or anything... Destroys the neelde.

I hope my two cents will help someone .

Kibzz
Michigan
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2004, 12:43 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from United States

Hi, Kibzz.

Welcome to WC! and the AB forum. What type of things do you paint?

Tim
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2004, 01:06 AM

I am still learning the airbrush, but mostly doing tee's and birthday banner's on pellon 2' foot wide and 5' foot long .and batting helmets here in town I do other stuff but those mostly to pay the bils...and because I am a beginner the bils hardly get paid LOL..What do you like to do?

Kibzz