WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2001, 08:12 AM

Question acrylic glazes

Hi everyone,
I'm just beginning to play with acrylic after many years and there has been alot of mention of glazing over acrylics. I know this is elementary, but what is used for the glaze? Does this add depth and sheen to the final painting? Thanks for any help. Carole
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2001, 03:12 PM
Cupertino, CA

Hails from United States
Acrylic glazes are made using translucent, staining color paint (Phthalocyanine greens and blues, Qinacridone and Naphthol reds, Hansa yelows, Dioxazine purple, et. al.) mixed with generous amounts of acrylic matte or gloss medium or gel (essentially paint without pigment) and some water. The addition of the medium distinguishes a glaze from a "wash", wherein the paint is simply thinned with water only or with a much smaller proportion of medium. Glazing does add a certain optical depth to the color, especially with successive layers of different colors. Any sheen depends on the type of clear medium you use, and will all be regularized when you apply your final varnish, unless you spot-varnish with varying matte/gloss mixtures.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2001, 06:05 PM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom
Recommended glaze medium to me was mixing 1/2 matt and 1/2 gloss medium. Works pretty well, though I haven't quite come to grips with it. (soft brushes seem to be key)

I also glaze over my acrylics with oils which I'm more experienced with and get lovely glowing finishes of colour.

Tina.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2001, 06:37 PM

Smile

Thanks Cuttlefish and Tina for the help. Now I'm ready to get out there and try these ideas. Carole
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2001, 04:36 PM
NC, USA

Hails from United States
hey,
i haven't used glazes before either so if you know any good names to use, please let me know cause i want to buy some thanks!
shivani
it is my opinion that everything must be based upon an extremely simple idea. and it is my opinion that this idea, once we have finally discovered it, will be so compelling, so beautiful, that we will say to one another, yes how could it have been any different. ~john wheeler
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2001, 02:19 PM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom
I just buy my mediums with my paint, but here's the ones in my bucket:

Liquitex - Matte Medium, comes in a squeezy bottle

Windsor & Newton - Acrylic Matt Medium, comes in a jar (on the jar it says for a MORE fluid medium to use Acrylic Fluid Matt Medium)

Windsor & newton - Acrylic Fluid Gloss Medium, comes in a glass bottle (on the bottle it says to use Acrylic Gloss Medium for a LESS fluid medium)

I tend to use the Liquitex one most, only because it's in the squeeze bottle. I work *very* liberally with my paints and mediums so the bottle makes it easier to throw more on the palette.

Tina.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2001, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Phoenix Arizona USA

Hails from United States
glazes and scumbles

Glazes and scumbles are two techniques used in post underpainting work. Scumbles are generally opague and light....colors mixed with white paint and glaze medium....and glazes are colors mixed with glaze medium. You can put on many layers of glazes and scumbles....in no set order.

The darkest darks can be achieved with glazes of the darker complementaries. The most interesting lights with scumbles with soft overtones of glazes. Their use is really an art form and takes a lot of trying.

I suggest you try them BOTH...but dilute each so that they go on very thin. Then when they dry....decide what the next coat will be. Some of the old masters would put on as many as 17 coats...so dont give it a ONE-SHOT TRIAL.
vallarta