WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Portrait of Chris

Here is another portrait I did this past week. I am having so much fun, not sure if I will be able to go back to my coloured pencils again! This one was a little more difficult than my first one because my hubby ( the subject) was "critiquing" it as I went along Drove me crazy, to the point where I may have overworked it. I need to step back from it for a few days and look at it with fresh eyes.

Comments and critiques welcome. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2004, 06:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States
Re: Portrait of Chris

Shelly - I definitely do not think its overworked. I think it is a lovely portrait but I do understand what you are saying bout *fresh eyes* later.

My hubby is my worst critic but my biggest fan.
If hubby approves - it must be good!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Coeur D Alene, Idaho

Hails from United States

ShellyF,

Just saw the portrait of your hubby! Wow! You have done a wonderful job! I love your work in colored pencils too. Have you try Acrylic and colored pencils together yet?

Donna

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't Know, and the more I realize I may never know. But the one thing I do know is I am addicted to creating art.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks Angie and Donna.

Donna, no I haven't tried the c/p's and acrylic yet, but I was thinking of it while I was doing my daughter's portrait. Have you tried it? Do they work well together?

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2004, 01:35 PM
A WC! Legend
New York City

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyF
Here is another portrait I did this past week. I am having so much fun, not sure if I will be able to go back to my coloured pencils again! This one was a little more difficult than my first one because my hubby ( the subject) was "critiquing" it as I went along Drove me crazy, to the point where I may have overworked it. I need to step back from it for a few days and look at it with fresh eyes.

Comments and critiques welcome. Thanks for looking.

It's a very fine portrait.
It looks very life-like!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast
Nelson, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

It looks to me you have captured hubbie's personality and also your feelings of irritation. Hehehe. For me, there has been a tremendous amount of work go into the face, but the same attention to detail has been omitted from the clothing.

You have done a great job, with a "difficult" subject.

Jo
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks Jo and Nina

Jo you are absolutely right about the detail in the shirt. But he was wearing just a plain old grey sweatshirt, so there wasn't a whole lot to work with in the reference. I also have a tendency to underplay the clothing in an attempt to keep the focus on the face (that could of course just be an excuse to not work so hard on the clothesLOL!) He did mention (after the fact) that he wished I had painted a more formal shirt on him, but again I have trouble with things that I don't see right in front of me, in the same lighting conditions, same position.... Can't make things up on my own yet.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Coeur D Alene, Idaho

Hails from United States

ShellyF,

Quote:
Donna, no I haven't tried the c/p's and acrylic yet, but I was thinking of it while I was doing my daughter's portrait. Have you tried it? Do they work well together?

I have not tried it yet, but I have the book " Colored Pencil Explorations" by Janie Gildow. She has some wonderful demonstrations using acrylics and colored pencils. Check out her website at http://www.janiegildow.com/ You might also know of some WC artists in Colored pencil forum using both mediums.

Donna

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't Know, and the more I realize I may never know. But the one thing I do know is I am addicted to creating art.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Tacoma Wa

Hails from United States

I find portraits in acyrlic really difficult and you have done a wonderful job. Very realistic.
Don