WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Classical Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Leicester

Hails from United Kingdom
Talking Can't decide which book i should buy!!!

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new here. Just signed up to this website yesterday actually.

I've recently been introduced to classical oil painting and currently, I'm quite into it A LOT. I came across artpapa.com by chance, that that's how it started.
I didn't realise that there is so much stuff involved in classical oil painting. So i've been surfing the internet gathering as much information as possible about Flemish techniques etc etc. I have a feeling that by the time i finish a painting, i might have already done enough research for a thesis on the topic! I think i know quite a lot about oil painting techniques now (after having a go at it for a couple of years). I do more drawing and photography though.

Right now, I'm thinknig about buying a book from amazon. Here are the the books i'm interested in:

Oil Painting Secrets from a Master by Linda Cateura

Problem Solving for Oil Painters by Gregg Kreutz

Methods and Materials of Painting of the Great Schools and Masters by Sir Charles Lock Eastlake

How to Paint Like the Old Masters by Joseph Sheppard

Which one of these books should i buy? Which one do you think is THE ONE you will stick to? (and the reason why would be much appreciated ) Currently I think i can only afford one. I tried to find more reviews on these books from the net but couldn't find any apart from Amazon.com/amazon.co.uk ...

Thanks very much in advance..

Vee
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2004, 03:21 PM
A Local Legend
London UK

Re: Can't decide which book i should buy!!!

Why not do searches of the forums here using the surnames of the authors - see where they crop up in discussions, and what people have to say about them.

The only one of these books I'm personally familiar with is the Sheppard, which is OK for what it is - a guide as to how to produce paintings which approximate to the approaches of various masters - it's neither in-depth nor authentic (and doesn't claim to be) - I'm not saying this to try to put you off - if you want basic practical insights to produce something that resembles a Vermeer or something that resembles a Rembrandt, etc, then this book will do that well - Sheppard's a practical painter and writes clearly and entertainingly - it is not an academically rigorous work of scholarship, however.

The Eastlake I'd be interested in having a look at myself, though it should be noted it's over 100 years old, and was a work of scholarship, but is well known for being inaccurate in some of its assertions about how the old masters worked, as recent research by scientific examination of canvases has shown.

The other two books I can't comment on at all.

Dave
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2004, 04:01 PM
A Local Legend
Charleston, West Virginia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorc
The only one of these books I'm personally familiar with is the Sheppard, which is OK for what it is - a guide as to how to produce paintings which approximate to the approaches of various masters - it's neither in-depth nor authentic Dave

Agree with that -- "How To Paint Like The Masters". It's a wonderful leg-up in beginning to understand the process, but it has limitations.

I learned some things from it. I don't know the other books.

You might also look through the oil painting forum(s) here and websites for threads on mediums, varnishes, gesso, underpainting, layering, glazing -- throwing your canvas across the parking lot to get that look and feel, etc., and you'll find some springboards for refining your research.

You can print this book out..

http://artrenewal.org/articles/2002/...parkhurst1.asp

Richard
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Some great information here! I have the Eastlake but damn is it a volume of writing! lol. Here is a link to our list of Favorite Books here in the Classical Art Forum. Have fun and happy reading!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=148581
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2004, 05:25 AM
Enthusiast
West Indies / Caribbean

If your just starting Oil Painting,learn how to draw well first.

You can get the - Harold Speed -Drawing [Dover - it's cheap]

If you must paint - Harold Speed - Oil Painting[Dover - it's cheap.]

Dover is also on-line,or just go through Amazon.
Above all find a Teacher you respect and whose work impresses you as along the lines you want to learn,

You don't want the Sheppard,it's more of an experienced student wanting to dabble book.With too many bad practices to have to un-learn.

Eastlake is very dated and a good deal of it is incorrect.When you get into Oil Painting more deeply,read the National Gallery Technical Bulletins instead.
Best of Luck.
Titanium
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast
Rochester NY

Hails from United States

chapman

I have downloaded , compiled and creaded a pdf of this book, It seems to be pretty acurate (100 years old) on technique, I am starting right at the beginning with the drawing aspect, I have not even checked out the painting part yet, there are some decent pics that you are supposed to copy EXACTLY, like in the baroke drawing I saw around here someplace.

mabey somebody who is an expert can let us know if this is indeed a good book to use ??

http://images.library.wisc.edu/DLDec...mDrawBkChap/M/

BTW anybody interested in the PDF let me know I may be able to post it someplace (64Mb)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2004, 10:52 PM
Enthusiast
Norman OK

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium
When you get into Oil Painting more deeply,read the National Gallery Technical Bulletins instead.
Best of Luck.
Titanium

How and where would a person find these? Are they online? If so, do you have links? Please?
Leigh
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2004, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast
West Indies / Caribbean

Leigh,

see the National Gallery[London] on-line,
in the SHOPS section they allow you to
browse a few pages of the Technical Bulletin.

You can order through Amazon.com[long wait]
or have someone buy for you in the Museum
shop[London].

Be warned!!!

These are often examples of the Artist's mature
or best works.So you will see notes speaking of
---- very few layers used to create a painting.
For example - Rubens - 2 to 3 layers to create
a spectacular satin dress.

Try to remember Rubens painted a gazillion satin
dresses and [if by his hand],he could paint them
from memory.

If you luck out and get information on when he was
learning to do something - say his first satin dress
expect more layers or if he is really smart -----

He would have done the practice on his oil sketches.

The same goes for their drawings.
One set is learning------the other set is memory/style/
manner.

Hopefully this little bit will save you much heartache.
Until later.
Titanium
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Leicester

Thanks a lot for your comments! I find them very useful. Still can't decide which book to buy, but i certainly have more idea of what i want now..

I went to have a look in the university library the other day and found Methods and Materials of Painting of the Great Schools and Masters by Sir Charles Lock Eastlake. I was quite pleased with my discovery so i borrowed it from the library. I then found that some guy has ripped the entire section on oil painting methods (around 30 pages). How rude! They are the parts I really want to read most as well!

Several days later, i found this on the web..http://www.noteaccess.com/Texts/Eastlake/ProfEssays.htm
I think these people are trying to put the entire book on the web. However, they are still incompleted though. That includes those missing parts..Probably will have to wait for a while..