WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Classical Art > Classical Forum - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2004, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast
Idyllwild, California

Hails from United States
Oil, WIP, Glass Jar

Hello all,

I have been doing variations on the theme of this glass jar, this one is in oil, 12 x 18", and I have started with a grisel underpainting, lamp black with a little cereulean blue, with a medium of lots of turpentine, touch of walnut oil, and some dammar varnish. These proportions will change to more oil and varnish as I get near the end.

The real glass vase is terrible skewed so if I paint the shape as I see it, it will look off. To keep it symetrical I just blast plum lines, and horizontals with vine charcoal right over my painting.

For this underpainting I am making corrections with small lines, like drawing, with a very liquid paint wash...One thing I like about working out the details this way is that I can pretty much keep working for days. With big washes I have to let them dry before going over them again, the little marks always leave some fresh canvas to work. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Michael
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Resting in Peace
Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee

Hails from United States
Re: Oil, WIP, Glass Jar

Thanks for sharing this. I'm studying underpainting frantically right now! LOL

Very well done.

Lyn
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast
Idyllwild, California

Hails from United States

Thats for you enthusiasm Lyn.

I don't mind making corrections or freely marking up the canvas, those black vertical and horizontal lines are vine charcoal--to keep the glass symmetrical. I think this piece is going to be very detailed and realistic. Right now I am still working the atmospher of light.

Michael
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2004, 01:46 AM
Enthusiast
Sprinfield, Illinois

Hails from United States

Michael,
Your talent simply amazes me. Anyone who can paint translucent glass gets an A+ in my book. Any forum members who have not visited Michael's web site, should do so!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2004, 03:46 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Hi Michael, coming along great! One thing I enjoy most about the drawing process is atmosphere. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast
Idyllwild, California

Hails from United States

Thanks Vince.

Today I will work some more on this. I will try to make the jar 'pop' by trying it make it more 3d and I don't want the background stuff it get too slick--I will concentrate there on the light, mid-tones and shadows more then on the detail of things.
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast
Idyllwild, California

Hails from United States

Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

aaah, I love glass The plum lines with the vine charcoal is a great tip; I'll have to keep it in mind. I once took a dig-pic of a drawing and did the plum lines in PS and spotted my mistakes. One thing about drafting symmetrical objects is how very sensitive the curves and ellipses are on an object like this; nicely in perspective.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast
Idyllwild, California

Hails from United States

Yes, Vince, the ellipses become really important.

These last few days of working on this piece has gotten me thinking a lot about the phallic and vaginal symbols in it. Perhaps that is why I was so attracted to the set up in the first place. The beaks of the toucans’ were obvious but now there are all these leaves sprouting upwards on 45-degree angels and of course the jar’s ellipses and it is filled with water, always a symbol of life and femininity for me.

There are a couple of choices I am making from that kind of thinking. One is that I could opt to make really dark shadows on the jar but I decided, so far, to make the shadows lighter because I can see that option in real life but also because the jar is feminine and a woman’s skin has a kind of glow, an aurora. Another is that I can contrast the table with the glass, use rich masculine darks. The third thing is that the water keeps steaming up the glass. In another still life of the glass jar I kept letting it cool off before I painted the glass’ details. Now I think I will let it all heat up and see what happens.

Michael
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast
Idyllwild, California

Hails from United States

Hey, are you all quiet about my last post because you think I am nuts. Maybe touched by a little too much sun here in Florida!

The grissel underpainting is geling. I still want this piece to be very realistic, even more so in the underpainting stage. In my head I know how I want the colors to look--I also want it to have some of the texture of the old master paintings on wood panel but I do want the colors to be very contemporary. Part of the background is a thick silk purple shirt, and the toucan table is rich green and scarlet.

I hope that when the underpainting is complete--all the tones how I want that it will make my job of getting the right, brilliant color easier.

Cheers,

Michael
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newberry
Hey, are you all quiet about my last post because you think I am nuts. Maybe touched by a little too much sun here in Florida!

LOL! The air is a little uptight for a Classical group...hmm...there was a poll awhile back about an Erotic Art Forum...but I dont think this work would be hardcore enough. I like the subtle eroticism of your piece. Its coming along great.

I enjoy reading about the colors that are inspiring you. Care to post your palette when it comes time? Thanks. -cv

Last edited by Classical Vince : 04-30-2004 at 11:32 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2004, 11:50 PM
Enthusiast
Idyllwild, California

Hails from United States

Hi Vince,

Humor appreciated. It is going fast now, I think the underpainting will be ready soon, tomorrow or the next day. I will let it dry for a week or so and then dive into the color--I want this painting to be almost like enamel; very rich and pure colors.

Michael
Attached Images

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2004, 12:24 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newberry
very rich and pure colors.

Michael

Care to discuss this a little? Personally, since I have started doing color charts; I have a bit of an aversion to rich color. I see hue saturation levels to be an important part of realism and timeless work. You have those qualities about your work but let me ramble on a bit...lol...if you dont mind

I highly doubt you'll be using "tube" colors in your work but if you care to elaborate through your color mixing process I would appreciate reading about your problem solving.

I would like to discuss color with you since you are inclined to achieve true to life realism and it happens to overlap with my current oil studies...as richly-green as they may be
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2004, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast
Idyllwild, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical Vince
Care to discuss this a little? Personally, since I have started doing color charts; I have a bit of an aversion to rich color. I see hue saturation levels to be an important part of realism and timeless work. You have those qualities about your work but let me ramble on a bit...lol...if you dont mind

I would like to discuss color with you since you are inclined to achieve true to life realism and it happens to overlap with my current oil studies...as richly-green as they may be

Thanks for the compliment. Color...you have an aversion to it?!

Color charts can be useful study but boring as hell.

Sure I will talk about color when I go there in this piece. I am a big fan of squinting...squint looking at reality and squint looking at the painting and correct the color difference. But I am also into color theory...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2004, 02:19 AM
California

Hails from United States

Here I am on a Saturday night getting all excited about color theory LOL

"Colour helps to express light, not the physical phenomenon, but the only light that really exists, that in the artist's brain."
Henri Matisse, 1945.