WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast
Cannington, Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada
Painted Beads Tutorial - link

For those of you that have become widly enthused along with me about painting on glass and applying to beads - I have started a "how to" page on my website -

Its just started with some of the basics but I hope to have some pics and more links to where you can get items this weekend.

If you have questions and especially if you have pics of what your doing please send to me as I'll post. Dont worry about mistakes we want to hear about them so other learn -

Just go to my website and there is a link on the front page to the how to section

http://www.deborahread.com

Canada ! Home Sweet Home!

"We can do no great things ------only small things with great love." -Mother Teresa

Last edited by ValorieCox : 04-08-2004 at 10:03 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast
Rochester, MN

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Painted Beads Tutorial - link

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread
For those of you that have become widly enthused along with me about painting on glass and applying to beads - I have started a "how to" page on my website -

Wow! even in its unfinished state is a wonderful tutorial. Can't wait to see it when you've finished and added the pictures!

Judy in MN
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada
Re: Painted Beads Tutorial - link

Seeing the pics will make much mores sense to what I have written - when you see how I apply the base bead to the flat glass and as I work it around the bead will make it all the more appealing and easier for everyone.

But remember I am counting on you to tell me if you see another way, or if you find a techique to hard to understand - let me know -
I just want to share the excitment of this new way of doing beads especially for those that came from painting backgrounds

"We can do no great things ------only small things with great love." -Mother Teresa
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast
Rochester, MN

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread
But remember I am counting on you to tell me if you see another way, or if you find a techique to hard to understand - let me know -
I just want to share the excitment of this new way of doing beads especially for those that came from painting backgrounds

heh heh heh....be careful what you ask for! My work history includes proofreading (works better to proof someone else's writing than one's own), technical writing, and course development. I regularly proof a friend's beading kit patterns and make recommendations as to how they can be improved for clarity and consistency. (Her name is Doris Coghill--she teaches all over the country.)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ

Hails from United States

Yippee!! Can't wait until you insert images. Wow, your latest painted beads are great. You've come a long way in what ...just a week or two? Talk about a fast ride on the learning curve!! I'm going to try painting and fusing, before doing the beads. I want to make a couple of painted cabachons to shape on lapidary wheels and set in silver. I'm wondering if I have to worry about the tracing lines burning out at full-fuse temperature. I've never used the Reusche E-401 between layers of glass before. Do you think the lines will stay strong if sandwiched between layers of glass?? I know I have to paint trace lines - fire -- then lay the color (I'm going to use Paradise) then fire again to burn out binder. Then I'm wanting to have the image encased between the layers of glass. I'm wondering if I should paint first on a base, then fire clear over the top. Or should I do a reverse painting on clear, flip over and fire over a base? Should I fire longer at a lower temp to keep the trace lines from burning out? You have a Hoaf Speedburn kiln?? Lucky Girl! That must make it so much more effecient and enjoyable doing glass painting. I might just have to save my pennies. Are they available in US yet, or did you have to have it shipped from overseas? And, also any tips to prevent bubble trappage? (for painting and fusing) I hate it when a beautiful fused piece has a big bubble in it. I know sometimes the gasses release from the paints create bubbles. Anyway, Have I asked enough questions?!? I suppose I should save some for later. Great job on the tutorial!! Looking forward to more. Kelly
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
New York State

Hails from United States

Dread -

You're painted beads are fabulous! I love Amy's work too! I've drooled over Bronwen Heilmen's beads for a few years now and never able to truly afford them! They're worth every penny but if it's a kiln or a Heilmen bead - aww shucks! I shoulda bought the bead! LOL!

I have been admiring the lovely work you're doing! I keep checking your site to see if you're selling any of those beads yet, but no! Dang!

Funny - Just before I got onto WC! this afternoon, I ordered a set of the Paradise Paints! So happy to see a tutorial! I haven't gone to your website yet but will. I expect to have to experiment alot and wondering if I have bought a large enough size :-)

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm!I've definitely caught the bug!
Cindy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
New York State

Hails from United States

PS - Judy - I LOVE Doris Coghill's work! Always clear directions! Now I know we have you to thank for the proofreading! :-)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2004, 05:00 PM
IL

Hails from United States

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing all this information. A great tutorial!!

Similar to Kelly, I would love to try this in a fusing application. Hopefully, someone can answer her questions.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

They say that you should fire the reusche and paradise paints first before sandwiching -to burn off binders - once sandwich they will stand up to the full fuse.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Enthusiast
Whittier, CA

Hails from United States

Deb - you know the biggest problem in glass painting, is first you have to be able to draw!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL No way on earth can I draw, which has always been the biggest disappointment in my life.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Hey Maureen - they call the paint Trace Black - because ---- you use it to trace pics - ta da ! Traditional Glass Painting isnt all trace - yes there are talented people who can draw - but find a pic you like and put on a light table an trace with the trace black and voila you have a pic to color all your own !!!!

Keep checking the tutorial - I keep remembering things, embellishing and adding pictures

Didnt realize how big a job till you want pics of each phase

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast
Michigan

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy in MN
heh heh heh....be careful what you ask for! My work history includes proofreading (works better to proof someone else's writing than one's own), technical writing, and course development. I regularly proof a friend's beading kit patterns and make recommendations as to how they can be improved for clarity and consistency. (Her name is Doris Coghill--she teaches all over the country.)

Hey Judy, nice to see another tech writer ... I am also a tech writer for a currently-infamous software company!
Kelly
Click Here to Visit RedHotBeads
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Haan Germany

Hails from Germany

Hi
I would like to see more than hear more with "painting Beads".
These beads are about 22mm dia and disc shaped.

Have a good Easter
Winston

www.designsinglass.de
Attached Images

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast
Annapolis, Maryland

Hails from United States

Deborah, Even without the pictures I understand the process. Oh but for more hours in the day to play! Thanks for all your hard work investigating this technique and sharing it with us. Your beads are absolutely wonderful! ~Juliet
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

I have a lot of the pictures up now on the site ( had to take a break today to build a shed so my Hoaf kiln has a home !)

Winston - are you using paints on your beads ? or Painting glass onto your beads for that effect ??

Were talking painting

Here are some samples
Attached Images