WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2004, 11:24 PM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States
Lightbulb My IDIOT PROOF registration bed...

I have been playing a lot with various registration techniques, and have found something that seems to work well for me! I use it both in my press and when I am hand printing.

I liked the idea of using some sort of pin system, where there are holes in the paper to line things up with, but kept running into problems- Then I tried it this way.

I took a 12" x 36" peice of Plexiglass (the same size as my press bed), and attached one of those three hole punches that are intended to be stored in binders to the top of it. I line up the block where I want it on the plexi (with the help of the 1" grid I drew on it), put the paper in the punch, put the holes in the paper, and print away... For the next color, I just return the block to the same location, put the paper back on the pin part of the hole punch, and print. The registration is perfect every time! The metal bar that actually cuts the holes in the paper will also hold the paper in place if I snap it down... Hopefully the photo will provide enough detail.

The best part is, this setup will only set you back about $10 or less... The hole punch is $2 at Wal-Mart, and the plexi is a couple of bucks at Home Depot. Epoxy glue holds it together well. I put a couple of tape marks on my press bed to tell me where the hole punch is when it is hidden under the blankets, so I dont accidentally press it!
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2004, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
South Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Re: My IDIOT PROOF registration bed...

Andrew,

Maybe I'm worse than an Idiot, but can you give a couple closeups of the hole punch thingy and a pictorial play by play? I'm just not getting it. Do you leave extra margin for the holes? Or are they left in the margin of the finished piece? This looks good, because it 'holds'/keeps (I assume) the paper from twisting, which is always the problem I have. My paper will always turn slightly (cantilever a couple degrees) away from square with the block, no matter how precisely I line it up. Not sure if running it through the press does that or the motion of placing the blankets, though I hold the paper in place with my hand until the blanket is lowered...?Can't figure it out. It's maddening!

debbie
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2004, 09:17 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Here are a few closeup pics- Hopefully they'll clarify things a bit... I will have to do a step-by-step next time I print, although that might be a while since I am going to be on the ship soon...

1) A close up side view of the punch, mounted on the board, closed on a sheet of paper.

2) A close up side view of the punch, open, with paper on the pins.

3) The thing closed, with paper in it.

You will need to cut the margin off of your print to get rid of the holes, but it is less than 1/2". The punch is about 10" long, which puts a hole about every 3 1/3 inch. If you are using narrower paper, you just center it between two of the pins instead of all three...

I also used matboard taped to the bed to hold the lino block in place, so I could consistantly return it to the same location after inking it...

Hopefully, this clarifies things a BIT more... I will do a step-by-step when I get a chance!!

Andrew
Attached Images

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
South Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Thanks Andrew,

Close ups are always appreciated. I'm going to get myself down to Wal Mart and look for this really cool gadget. I've seen many types of hole punches in my day, but never have seen one like this before.

Eagerly awaiting the play by play pictorial. In the mean time, have a safe trip.

debbie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2004, 09:47 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by printzessofthenorth
Thanks Andrew,

Close ups are always appreciated. I'm going to get myself down to Wal Mart and look for this really cool gadget. I've seen many types of hole punches in my day, but never have seen one like this before.

Eagerly awaiting the play by play pictorial. In the mean time, have a safe trip.

debbie

Since all wally-Worlds are merchandised in about the same way, You will find it in the office supplies area, not far from the rulers... Hangs on a hook...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2004, 06:45 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I like the paper punch thingey idea. I have one and will have to try it.

Diane
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2004, 01:53 AM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States

The only concern I have about this set up is what will it do to the roller on my press?

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2004, 09:07 AM
In the Shadow of Pikes Peak

Hails from United States

A while back I had something similar and a similar concern as to what brass posts would do to the fabric of a silk screen, and at 50 bucks a yard, I was a little apprehensive. What I did was punch some dots out of cardboard, the backing of a notepad. It gave me the registration guide I needed, but they were soft enough the squeegee didn't tear the material. Maybe this would work in this case, I don't know.
Doug
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2004, 04:23 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassybird
The only concern I have about this set up is what will it do to the roller on my press?

When I use it in the press, I dont let the roller go over it- I stop before the roller. The thing would be CRUSHED By the roller. I have figured out a way that it will work, I will be playing with it when I get home next time!!

Andrew
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2004, 04:43 PM
metro Detroit area

Hails from United States

That has to be one of the most brilliant solutions to getting registration done easily. Thanks!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2004, 07:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Hello "Armless" and welcome to the Printmaking forum... I just checked out your website and love your linocuts and etchings. I think my favorite is "The Meat Tester". And I'd love to see your 'phoney woodcuts' become 'real' ones...

You've got some great stuff. Please feel free to join in here. We love new voices. And we love info input from our printmakers... always open to new improved ways to crack the creative code... Right now we seem to have a lot of relief printmakers, but I just know, if you pose the right question, we would have all kinds of printers pop out of the woodwork...

Diane
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2004, 09:39 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo the Armless
That has to be one of the most brilliant solutions to getting registration done easily. Thanks!

Thanks.... it isnt too often that the term 'brilliant' is used in reference to something that I do

I have revised the registration bed to be more compatable with my press, and will post an update next time I am on shore..... Probably next month. The update solves the problem of running the thing through, basically I just raised the bed...

Andrew
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Enthusiast
Vancouver, Washington.

Hails from United States

arumm... My press bed isin't terribly long, but you've got me thinking, Andrew, and that's always dangerous. What I need is a method of being able to run the whole thing through - easily. I also switch the printing type of plate from time to time; from safetkut, to lino, to wood, so height would be more of an issue for me. But I'm thinking about some sort of a cardboard overlay kind of system...*pondering*

lilkitten the pondering kitten who really needs to do multicolour work.

Click here to email me

All images I display are (C)opyright Caroline Tigeress and are not to be downloaded or modified in any manner without express consent of the artist.

Please enjoy my article, 'Celtic Knotwork Part One':http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/6560/375/
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2004, 07:40 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilKitten
arumm... My press bed isin't terribly long, but you've got me thinking, Andrew, and that's always dangerous. What I need is a method of being able to run the whole thing through - easily.
My updated version of the registration bed should work beautifully for you!! The NEW version runs through the press with no problems, AND features a thin steel base on top of the plexi- So I can use magnetic strips to line up the blocks... I have yet to use it on a multicolor print, I am still working up the courage- But I promise to do it next time I am off the ship. I will take photos of the new setup then, too... It seems to work well...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2005, 06:53 AM
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Andrew,

I was going over this old thread of yours. I'm planning some multi-color poly-litho prints. A good opportunity to update the old trapped paper alignment system I used (long ago) in the past. This seems to be a very good system. I like to try it.

A few questions:

On the punches: Since we have no Wall Mart around here I have to look for an alternative. There are ample punches out here, but I understand the critical aspect of this one is that you can keep it closed in order to hold the paper. Right? Or are there other specific requirements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printmakerguy
For the next color, I just return the block to the same location, put the paper back on the pin part of the hole punch, and print. The registration is perfect every time!

This part I don't understand. Usually one has different blocks for different colors (except for reduction prints). So I assume you mean the NEXT block. But how can you align this next block accurately. If you align the edges, the position of the image relative to the edge should be extremely precise. Seems to impossible to me. So how do you do that? Or: what do I miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printmakerguy
My updated version of the registration bed should work beautifully for you!! The NEW version runs through the press with no problems, AND features a thin steel base on top of the plexi- So I can use magnetic strips to line up the blocks... I have yet to use it on a multicolor print, I am still working up the courage- But I promise to do it next time I am off the ship. I will take photos of the new setup then, too... It seems to work well...

Did you ever post the details of this updated version? I could find it, but your input here is so overwhelming that I might have missed it.