WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2005, 08:37 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
USA, on the edge of an atom

Hails from United States
Re: A Composition Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik
I agree with King Rundzap.

I hope one day everyone will understand that there are no rules - yes - no rules - these are techniques or tools that make you acheive a certain end result.

etc.

I photograph street rods for clients and work them up on the computer using PhotoShop etc....

There are rules and the client makes them and I obey them. Cause I like to get paid.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Viroqua, WI

Hails from United States

i for ne am happy that these "rules" are here. to use as a tool to throw in a different perspective on my technique. the more i paint by the numbers, the more i grow, later what does not stick in my technique, will be pruned to make room for new growth. thank you dudley.

jess
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2005, 01:58 AM
California

Hails from United States

As a graphic design instructor I tend to be encountered with the above dilemma, “to follow or not to follow rules”. I have arrived at the conclusion that composition rules, and guidelines (or any other visual communication “laws”) are to be used as "default" rules.

In other words, they are to be followed to create an effective "visual communication" piece. However, if one is in command of all of the above mentioned rules (checklist), and only then, one can "decide" (with a reasons and purpose in mind) to break such rules. The point is that one must initially understand what the rules are, what they accomplish. At that time the artist / designer will be in command of his/her educated decisions, and hence successfully defend and explain the reasons (if the was the need to do so) behind the dis-obeyance of basic visual communication rules an guidelines.

This is where an educated artist (genius are exceptions to this) can expand their horizons, while ones not exposed to visual communication and it’s rules and guidelines, will be limited to their own genetic or “collected” skills and talents.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2005, 07:52 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

I'm writing an article for the Mixed Media forum " An Introduction to Collage and Mixed Media." Some of the issues I want to discuss are composition, focal point, color harmony ... the usual suspects. Whether you are a realist or abstract artist, certain principles are universal.

Can I borrow some of this list? It looks great.

Thanks either way !

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2005, 06:24 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisilk
I'm writing an article for the Mixed Media forum " An Introduction to Collage and Mixed Media." Some of the issues I want to discuss are composition, focal point, color harmony ... the usual suspects. Whether you are a realist or abstract artist, certain principles are universal.

Can I borrow some of this list? It looks great.

Thanks either way !

Li

Its okay with me.....
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2005, 08:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Gracias Dudley D!

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouya
As a graphic design instructor I tend to be encountered with the above dilemma, “to follow or not to follow rules”. I have arrived at the conclusion that composition rules, and guidelines (or any other visual communication “laws”) are to be used as "default" rules.

In other words, they are to be followed to create an effective "visual communication" piece. However, if one is in command of all of the above mentioned rules (checklist), and only then, one can "decide" (with a reasons and purpose in mind) to break such rules. The point is that one must initially understand what the rules are, what they accomplish. At that time the artist / designer will be in command of his/her educated decisions, and hence successfully defend and explain the reasons (if the was the need to do so) behind the dis-obeyance of basic visual communication rules an guidelines.

This is where an educated artist (genius are exceptions to this) can expand their horizons, while ones not exposed to visual communication and it’s rules and guidelines, will be limited to their own genetic or “collected” skills and talents.
VERY beautifully put, Pouya! I think you are exactly right and I thoroughly agree! Donna ;-}

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2006, 02:30 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks for posting this.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2006, 02:53 AM
Pasadena, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you, I certainly appreciate the fact that you have put this all in one place. I am taking the time to etch it in my brain. I know it all, yet I want it to intuitively be able to draw on my knowledge, so that I can bend the rules when and if I want to. Back to my studies.
C&C always welcome
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2006, 04:58 PM

I like it, it reminds me of autumn leaves on the forest floor with bits of sunlight coming through the trees.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2006, 05:47 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks for this check list. Sometimes you forget the simple rules and sometimes it can help you search for what's wrong with a painting.

kayeo
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2006, 03:16 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Agreed.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2006, 09:47 PM

Hails from United States

I studied classical guitar and was told by my instructor that I needed to perform in a certain manner, when I noted that some of the master guitarists I had seen did not do the certain behaviour my instructor had mentioned, my teacher told me, "when you get as good as they, you can break the rules too!" I found his comments very sobering, but right on. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouya

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 AM

Hails from Canada

With all due respect, I find statements such as that to be somewhat stuffy and dismissive. Of course, I am speaking not of the person who posted here, but of all of those tired and smothering instructors who would enforce conformity at the expense of creative freedom. Of course, once free of the instructor's oversight, the student will experiment at will. That is one way in which experiential learning occurs. The corollary to that statement is that when one can effectively break the rules, they are that good!

Cheers

Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley_d
I studied classical guitar and was told by my instructor that I needed to perform in a certain manner, when I noted that some of the master guitarists I had seen did not do the certain behaviour my instructor had mentioned, my teacher told me, "when you get as good as they, you can break the rules too!" I found his comments very sobering, but right on. .
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2006, 12:08 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles McNeil
With all due respect, I find statements such as that to be somewhat stuffy and dismissive. Of course, I am speaking not of the person who posted here, but of all of those tired and smothering instructors who would enforce conformity at the expense of creative freedom. Of course, once free of the instructor's oversight, the student will experiment at will. That is one way in which experiential learning occurs. The corollary to that statement is that when one can effectively break the rules, they are that good!

Cheers

Charles

That would indeed be the corollary. I can understand the instructors point though-especially if in a formalized training environment. One needs to understand, if not integrate, the 'rules' before moving off 'the beaten path.' They would have the tools to be able to analyze what went wrong which would be better than 'by guess and by golly.'