WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2004, 11:21 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States
Walnut Ink

As I take great pride in my ability to drive people nuts with my "what ifs" and "do you think you cans", I thought I'd pose the following query:

In reference to the type of tea dying that Loren Stump and Sharon Peters do on their ivory pieces, has anyone tried using Walnut Ink to achieve a similar look? Using tea concerns me, as it totally washes off if water gets on it. I think the cool effect is wonderful, and really adds to the look of the pieces I've been making, but I refuse to sell any of these until I figure out a way to make the shading permanent.

Hence this query...

I can't remember where I read about Walnut Ink, but I do remember thinking it might do the trick. Just wondering if anyone has tried it or if someone out there has some and is willing to give it a go and post their finding here.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Ann Arbor, MI

Hails from United States
Re: Walnut Ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
As I take great pride in my ability to drive people nuts with my "what ifs" and "do you think you cans", I thought I'd pose the following query:

In reference to the type of tea dying that Loren Stump and Sharon Peters do on their ivory pieces, has anyone tried using Walnut Ink to achieve a similar look? Using tea concerns me, as it totally washes off if water gets on it. I think the cool effect is wonderful, and really adds to the look of the pieces I've been making, but I refuse to sell any of these until I figure out a way to make the shading permanent.

Hence this query...

I can't remember where I read about Walnut Ink, but I do remember thinking it might do the trick. Just wondering if anyone has tried it or if someone out there has some and is willing to give it a go and post their finding here.

Never tried it, but here's a description of how to make it. (I have walnut trees. You are welcome to come up and collect the walnuts off the ground if you want to try to make it, but the recipe says wait until fall). Here's another recipe.

or, buy some here or here for about $5.

Can you tell how much I like google?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Enthusiast
Woodburn, Oregon

Hails from United States

Tink
I'm sort of new at all of this so this is just "my" thoughts on this. I agree that the shading the tea leaves on ivory is really outstanding. It total adds something to the glass, however instaed of trying walnut ink have you thought of maybe a ceramic glaze, or some of the fired on glazes? I'd think it might be a bit more perminate than even the ink. I'm sure they have it in a tea color rusty brown. What ever you try please keep us posted on the results
Liz
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2004, 11:39 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Heheheh.... I'm a Google freak, too. So when are you and I going to meet? I was thinking about you when I was up in A2 today. I'm always so darn busy. Donna and I are thinking about doing a road trip to A2 for some fun when it gets a little warmer. She has never been to Zingermann's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liz, I'll be sure to keep everyone posted when and if I ever get around to this. I would kind of like to have it figured out before I take Loren Stump's class in June, as I know I will come home BUSTING with ideas and I want to be ready to act on them.

Last edited by Tink : 03-23-2004 at 11:52 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 12:03 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Round Rock, TX

Hails from United States

I hadn't tried it for the same reasons you spoke of Tink. However, now that you brought it up wouldn't permanent ink do? I would put a liberal coating of ink on the bead then wipe off. It will get down into the crevices and work fine. I've seen it a hundred times on various craft shows and can't think why it wouldn't work for beads.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 12:09 AM
Indiana

Hails from United States

tink what about using paradise paints? brush it on and buff it off in the areas you dont want it ? itsa thought that might work.....
-karin
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 12:12 AM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

You've got some really great ideas flowing here, guys! Now someone needs to try these things. LOL! I don't have any Paradise Paints yet, but don't those need to be fired? I'm really hoping to avoid that, if possible.

I haven't done much with permanent inks... Sounds like a good thing to try though. Anyone have some and want to try it?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Round Rock, TX

Hails from United States

I'll give the inks a try. I don't have any so I'd need to go to the craft store...darn. I'll show my results tomorrow night if possible.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 01:30 AM

Hails from United States

just a guess ... rust and thinned white glue, then fire it ..
maybe rust and a borax solution ...

i have lots of free rust in my yard ....
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:

From my point of view, you're simply giving us the opportunity to think and be creative. Why on earth would that drive us nuts? I welcome the opportunity any day!

Quote:
You've got some really great ideas flowing here, guys! Now someone needs to try these things. LOL! I don't have any Paradise Paints yet, but don't those need to be fired? I'm really hoping to avoid that, if possible.

Were you looking for the darkened areas to be mattte or gloss? Once again, I'm wondering if 1Shot would work, that would give you a gloss finish....hmmm.....Let me see what I can come up with. If I get anything worth showing, I'll show it.

-Kay

Last edited by Listenup : 03-24-2004 at 06:40 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 07:13 AM
Tallahassee, FL

Hails from United States

I would try putting some clear nail polish over it after the tea.

Christy
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Chicago area

Hails from United States

hi, I have boiled walnuts before to make the ink for calligraphy use years ago. I am trying to remember what else was added. Never added that formeldahyde(sp). I would never use that. I will have to find my notes. But if you slightly etched your bead and then soaked in the walnut ink you might get a better result. Walnuts stain your fingers just picking them up in the yard. It's also been used in papermaking, It's a wonderul color. Ellen
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 09:46 AM
A Local Legend
motor city

Hails from United States

I think Ellen has made an excellent point about etching the bead before you stain it. You could probably use any permanant stain, even those used for wood,etc. if you etched the bead first. Maybe put on the etching cream and wipe it off leaving it in the crevices longer. Anything you use would work better if it could "grip" the surface.

Diane
SPALDING STUDIO
my blog
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Vancouver Island, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

If the glass was etched and tea-stained, wouldn't it be permanent? As in those horrid tooth-whitening ads with up-close-and-personal shots of long-neglected coffee and tea stained teeth?
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Gilbert AZ

Hails from United States

As a veteran walnut hull dyer, one note of caution. Use good ventilation when brewing your hulls and WEAR RUBBER GLOVES!!!! That stuff will stain YOU for weeks afterwards. That goes for the hulling process as well as extracting the color. Just pick up a mooshy one and you'll be stained. (This is the voice of experience talking. )

I don't have a clue about permanence on glass, but I can tell you that in fiber terms, it's great stuff because the tannic acid acts as its own fixative (mordant). All you need to do is soak the fiber in the juice and that's it....nice rich browns.