WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Wearable Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2004, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Ft. Myers, Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Jewelry Artisans and Wearable Art Artists please post your introductions?

Hello!
Currently I make glass beads......all the time, but for years I did seed bead work, and I always make earrings for myself. Now that I make my own beads, I have been making some bracelets with them along with sterling silver and swarovski crystals. I have also dabbled in fiber and beads, I have a necklace that I was working on and put aside (quite awhile ago) and I'd like to finish it. I love the look of beads and different types of yarns. I look at Lapidary Journal alot too, I 'think' about doing some ogf the projects, but, I don't have any of the equipment ot tools, so it will probably always be a 'wish I could do it' type thing. I don't think that making jewelry will ever be my passion, as it is most of you here, but I wanted to be in this too!
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Endwell, New York

Hails from United States

Hello!
I'm not so new to jewelry making as I am to trying to sell it. It's hard to let go!

Actually, I started as a painter (still am), using beading as a hobby a few years ago. I created mainly lacework necklaces and earrings out of tiny glass seed beads. I always seemed to go back to beading until I wanted to work with jewelry more than anything. My real leap into full-time jewelry making came after working with polymer clay sculptures. I created a series of 3" or less dragons that sold quickly. I wondered if I could make jewelry from the clay, creating beads with inclusions such as chamomile and rose petals.

To make a long story short... My passion turns out to be in jewelry making, especially wire jewelry and soldering metal. I love to work with sterling silver! I didn't start out intending on making jewelry for anyone other than myself and family, but they have been great advertisers, making sales for me all over the place. I just got 10 more orders last night. I haven't decided whether or not to put up a webpage yet.

I hope to take a class on glass beadmaking later this Spring. I love seeing what all of you come up with.

Trace
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Eastern Townships

Hails from Canada

aaaah saturday mornings been able to visit each and every gallery and WOW ! So many splendid things !!

Debbie (starlight designs) : What an awesome job with this Ocean Jasper cab !
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast
Detroit, MI and part-time FL resident

Hails from United States

Anyone around that can sticky this for us at the top of the forum so new members to the forum can make intro's?

Thanks!

~Danielle
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2004, 10:07 PM
The mountains of Western North Carolina

Hails from United States

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Callihan, I am retired and living in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina. Being an engineer by training I have always had a left brain, right brain conflict. I always have used my artistic endeavors as an escape from the day to day job of working in industry. I once had a pottery instructor tell me over a glass of liquid libation that he thought that I must live in a strange world. He said “My artist friends don’t quite trust me and my industrial friends don’t quite understand me.” That was probably truer than I ever cared to admit.

My interest have always been varied and far flung. At one point in my life I worried about how fickle I was when it came to my hobbies. I would immerse myself in something gain a modicum of competence and move on. Then I decided it was just who I am and enjoyed the new challenges.

Currently I am coming back to jewelry making after a 20 year hiatus. Fortunately I hung onto all these years my faceting machine, centrifugal casting machine, torches, kiln as well as most of my hand tools. I in fact moved them coast to coast a couple of times. In the mean time I have taken up lampworking. As I find time from my new full time job of building our retirement home I am slowly setting up my jewelry studio. I am lucky as my DW let me build a 2300 sq. ft. shop/studio prior to starting the house. While most of it is devoted to metal and woodworking I am finding a corner or two for jewelry.

I believe I am going to enjoy this forum a lot and look forward to participating.

Also allow me to introduce my Avatar, his name is Casper and he is Harlequin Great Dane. Casper and his smaller buddy JC (JC is of questionable linage) are my constant companions. Without them I would spend a lot of time talking to myself.

Thank you to all of you who’s efforts are responsible for getting this forum launched.

M_
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 10:04 AM

Hails from Canada

Hello,

I began participating at the glass forum about two weeks ago, at the same time I began making my own beads. Previously, I've been working with other's beads but it wasn't easy to get the exact color I needed to match the fabrics I used. Mainly, as weareable, I do accessories like beaded scarves, fabric, crocheted and knitted beaded purses. When I do jewelry, it's for me to wear. In my everyday life, I am designing all kind of patterns for a craft magazine (patchwork-beaded knitting-sewing) and sell my crafts in local boutiques. Twice my beadwork patterns were published in Beadwork magazine. Will try to find scans to posts later today.
Take care
Patch - Denise
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Birch Hill Studio, Vermont

Hails from United States

Hi all,

It’s so wonderful to have a forum for wearable art and I personally thank Scott and those who’s efforts made this possible.

For many years, I worked in the world of industrial electronics. Little did I know that putting tiny components into small printed circuit boards would be good practice for making jewelry components years later.

I’ve been blessed with two wonderful daughters, Valorie and Sabrina and over the years, I’ve enjoyed photography, making stained glass pieces, fused dichroic glass jewelry, beading, and now jewelry pieces that incorporate Val’s beads into bracelets and necklaces.

After living in Las Vegas for almost 30 years, my jazz musician husband and I retired two years ago and moved to green, wet and gloriously beautiful, Vermont. It is truly heaven on earth for us. After years of working on one end of the dining room table, I finally have a litlle room with a big window that overlooks the woods and I told Dan that the next time I move, I want to be unconscious....

Looking forward to hanging out with all of you...

Sylvia
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco Bay Area

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaSkea
...After living in Las Vegas for almost 30 years, my jazz musician husband and I retired two years ago and moved to green, wet and gloriously beautiful, Vermont. It is truly heaven on earth for us. ...
Sylvia
wow, from vegas to vermont - what a big change! hubby and i had thought about moving to vermont about 20 years ago, but we figured we wouldn't be able to stand the culture shock after having lived in the san francisco area for so long. however, we do love vermont - we're both transplanted new englanders, and vermont is truly a beautiful place. (we spent our honeymoon there!)

can't wait to see your work out here, sylvia - i love it!

Jumping Jack Glass... and Peanut too! / My Blog / My Main Etsy Shop
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Birch Hill Studio, Vermont

Hails from United States

Yes, Shirley, it is a bit of a cultural shock but one that we have embraced fully. Instead of the ballet or a star studded show, we go the annual "Intergalactic Croquet Tournament" in March where we are always guaranteed to have at least a foot of snow on the course. Instead of Fourth of July fireworks over the Strip, we drive to Moscow, VT and watch the "Moscow All Ladies Lawn Chair Drill Team" and the "Moscow All Men's Marching Radio Band" (who carry radios all tuned to WDEV playing music by John Phillips Souza). It's a different kind of fun and I know, it's not for everyone. If we want to visit the big city, we drive north to Montreal or take the train to New York City or Boston... I have to agree with you about San Francisco. It is one of the most beautiful cities anywhere.

Sylvia
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 03:01 PM

Hails from Canada

Next time you decide to head to Montréal, let me know...I am very near and perhaps we can meet.

Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaSkea
Yes, Shirley, it is a bit of a cultural shock but one that we have embraced fully. Instead of the ballet or a star studded show, we go the annual "Intergalactic Croquet Tournament" in March where we are always guaranteed to have at least a foot of snow on the course. Instead of Fourth of July fireworks over the Strip, we drive to Moscow, VT and watch the "Moscow All Ladies Lawn Chair Drill Team" and the "Moscow All Men's Marching Radio Band" (who carry radios all tuned to WDEV playing music by John Phillips Souza). It's a different kind of fun and I know, it's not for everyone. If we want to visit the big city, we drive north to Montreal or take the train to New York City or Boston... I have to agree with you about San Francisco. It is one of the most beautiful cities anywhere.

Sylvia
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Arizona and Maine coast

Hails from United States

Hi all! Hope it isn't too late to post this- I seem to be late for everything these days!

My name is Amanda Jeffrey. I am lucky enough to be retired (I had my own ice cream and chocolate store) and to spend half the year in the Phoenix, AZ area (Scottsdale) (yes- the winter) and half on the southern coast of Maine (yes- the summer). When I am in AZ I normally volunteer at the Desert Botanical Garden and while in Maine, I volunteer twice a month at the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, Mass.

I had been a quilter for many years while living in New Hampshire and Maine but now seem to be consumed by beads of all shapes and sizes and types. I am in the process of setting up a lampwork studio with a friend at the Heartwood Art School in Kennebunk, Maine. I am a member of the New Hampshire Bead Society and enjoy bead crochet, peyote, loom work and designing my own patterns.

I broke my leg about 6 weeks ago and have been doing a lot of bead crochet bracelets which I'll show in this post. I am scheduled to teach at the Glendale AZ Bead Museum in 2005.

My husband of 35 years (wow!!!) and I have 2 grown children, a son living in Burlington, VT and a daughter living in Boston, MA but who will probably be moving to Boulder CO soon. We have a geriatric apricot mini poodle and a pure while cat. When my leg isn't broken we enjoy traveling in our Trailmanor camper, kayaking on lakes and estuaries (not white water) and hiking.

My avatar is a cactus in my front yard that is blooming right now.

Here are my chunky spring bead crochet bracelets and a lariet with African
trade beads.

I have learned soooo much from WETCANVAS and am so glad it is here!
Attached Images

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 11:10 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ozark Mountains, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by somk

Debbie (starlight designs) : What an awesome job with this Ocean Jasper cab !

THANK YOU! That happens to be my all-time favorite piece. Made it especially as a gift for my mother, who loves it dearly. A special gift for a very special lady...

I just made another one kinda like it, but I still like the first one better. The strap on this one is too short, I think... When I fix it, I'll post an image of it here. Probably this week sometime...
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Those are really beautiful...I truly understand how long it takes to make extensive bead pieces....this is one of mine....not addorment OR Jewelry, but I don't know WHERE, it belongs - God Bless - Virginia L.
Attached Images

my ebay
http://www.glassartists.org/Gal24027..._s_Gallery.asp
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Eastern Townships

Hails from Canada

Better late than never..
Patch> yes, you probably saw me 2 years ago at BlueBonnet I'll be back this year too ! Should we schedule a WetCanvas meeting up there ? lol
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 11:41 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ozark Mountains, Arkansas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia L.
Those are really beautiful...I truly understand how long it takes to make extensive bead pieces....this is one of mine....not addorment OR Jewelry, but I don't know WHERE, it belongs - God Bless - Virginia L.

I don't know either, but it's GORGEOUS!!! Wow!