WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WetCanvas Site Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Enthusiast
Detroit, MI and part-time FL resident

Hails from United States
Jewelry/Wearable Art Designers Forum

Hi All!

I was ref'd to this part of WC as I'm assembling the masses who are interested in starting a Jewelry/Wearable Art Design forum. There's quite a few of us lurking around various forums trying to find a niche to showcase our items, and I think there's enough interest to make a permanent home for us. We have lots of valuable information to offer to the WC community, from metalsmithing tricks, wire work, color/balance design concepts, Techniques (which I hear is in big demand for our glass bead maker friends), Creative twists on how to wear your art, etc.

I posted the original thread in the Glass Art Lobby: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...23#post2108523 and there is a poll attached. So far, I'm showing 12 votes for Yes and no others. I also posted a link to that thread in the Mixed Media/Materials Forum.

Hope this is the right place for this, and if you're a designer of some sort that would fit into this category, now's your chance to help make our house a home!

Happy Creating!

~Danielle
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: Jewelry/Wearable Art Designers Forum

Edit: I just wanted to be sure that I was clear about the ppl I'd like to have in this forum. It's open to all -sorts- of designers, not just jewelry; i.e.: fiber arts, fashion design, etc. If you design, I want you with us, if you'll be had!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Calgary AB

Hails from Canada

I would definitely visit that forum. Perhaps I'd be able to do something with the masses of supplies that are collecting dust in shoeboxes. Also have had some wearable art ideas for a while, perhaps a forum would be inspirational and motivational. By the way, I checked out your website. Beautiful stuff!

"Art is an outsider, a gypsy over the face of the earth." ~Robert Henri
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2004, 06:05 PM

Hails from United States

i would love this as an addition. i lurk in the glass forums because it is the closest to "making jewlery" as it seems to get. it would be great if we had a place where wire workers, metal smiths, or anyone involved in wearable art could have a place. i make jewlery myself out of poly clay or pre-fab beads!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

BluMoon, thank you for your compliments! I have grand fun doing what I like to do with wire, so I'm glad it shows.

Kite, I've used some poly-beads myself, and I'm always impressed with the person who has the patience to sit there and make those designs. It's not so easy!!

/chuckle

My new motto after this thread is, "If you build it, they will come!"

-D.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2004, 08:19 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Philadelphia, PA, longing for sunny México

Hails from United States

Danielle,

Count me a strong YES vote.

Although I *do* make glass beads and often post in the Glass Art forum, much of my work is in gemstones, pearls and other non-glass goodies, and I would love to have a wearable art forum where I could stretch my design wings with folks working in a variety of media.

Great idea!

Barb
Who has no free time as it is and needs another addiction like a fish needs a bicycle...

My website
Happiness is opening your kiln in the morning and finding a bead you would've bought if you were still buying...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2004, 09:45 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Whee!

Keep it going strong all! So far, we have 64 Yes, 3 No and 2 Fence Sitters!

This is a good sign, I think this forum has been a long time in coming and there shows great promise from many dif't types of design ppl.

~D.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Enthusiast
Chicago IL

Hails from Nepal

I would love to see a Jewelry/Wearable Art forum!
I wouldn't like to see it as part of the Glass forum ..i think it needs to stand on its own since there are a wide variety of Jewelry Making Techniques.

Jewelry

Painting and Drawing

Ebay

Last edited by sue ellen : 03-10-2004 at 12:01 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2004, 12:35 AM
Danville, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Yes Yes Yes!!!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2004, 01:12 AM
A Local Legend

I would love to see a Jewelry/Wearable Art Forum. The poll currently has 82 people voting yes! I would support this new channel, which would truly be for all jewelry and wearable art, not just glass and/or beads.

I see that Mistymade is for it, and she is an award-winning metalsmith. Countless others also, who I am sure would begin contributing content.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2004, 02:30 AM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States

i think jewelry and wearable art are really two different animals. to lump them into the same forum would do a disservice to both.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2004, 04:34 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I just wanted to add my two cents worth, in favor of Jewelry/metal work/Wearable Art forum....AND add "The Princess of the Wind" I always post her when there is any discussion of Jewelry - as an ART FORM, I think she is a GREAT argument in favor of that subject..........Plus, I just LOVE to see her in any post I can put her in, LOL God Bless - Virginia L.
Attached Images

my ebay
http://www.glassartists.org/Gal24027..._s_Gallery.asp
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2004, 11:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Bucks County, PA

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlene
i think jewelry and wearable art are really two different animals. to lump them into the same forum would do a disservice to both.

There is a lovely magazine, I'm sure you've seen it Arlene, called Ornament: The Art and Craft of Personal Adornment It covers jewelry, fine decorative clothing, even shoes and hats (very fancy artistic ones), and pulls it off quite nicely, as they all related to 'personal adornment' and the decoration of oneself.

Valorie
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValorieCox
There is a lovely magazine, I'm sure you've seen it Arlene, called Ornament: The Art and Craft of Personal Adornment It covers jewelry, fine decorative clothing, even shoes and hats (very fancy artistic ones), and pulls it off quite nicely, as they all related to 'personal adornment' and the decoration of oneself.

Valorie

Well, now that just sound wonderful for the headding of a Forum...Would have to change it up a bit, {Metal works/Jewelry/Wearable Art Designers/Personal Adornment Forum} hmmmmmmm has quite a ring to it. It has been a custom to adorn oneself as far back as there have been human records....Sometimes the more primative the people, the more ellaborate the personal adornment and Jewelry...Many times, it was the orriginal art form...I personally think it is about time for Wet Canvas to "ketch" up with one of the oldest forms of art - have a GREAT day - God Bless - Virginia L.

my ebay
http://www.glassartists.org/Gal24027..._s_Gallery.asp
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I would love to see a forum of this type. I post mostly in the glass forum, but I do dabble in fiber art (weaving) and have been thinking of combining the two (actually, that is why I became interested in making glass beads in the first place). I love wearable art of all types.