WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2004, 07:24 PM

Hails from Canada
I made a sculpting table!!

I am tickled pink! lol I made this table for about $30 Cdn. I thought up the idea of using a stool instead of going to the trouble of making the base. It is a good solid stool and the four legs provide a lot of support.

I cut a circle in the center of the seat of the stool to fit the pvc pipe. I drilled holes up the side of the pvc pipe and right through. The holes are 1" apart. I use a long screw to put in the holes to hold the thick dowel at the height I want it.

I tried to get a piece of dowel the exact size of the interior of the pvc but it is a bit loose so I am just going to shove a piece of scrap foam in the side to take up the slack for now. I bought a flange that the dowel perfectly fit into ... it was threaded on the inside and so the dowel just screwed into it, biting into the wood.

Next I cut a circle out of some scrap plywood for the table top and screwed it on through the four holes in the flange. Then I used my Dremel to cut the excess length of the screws off.

I was going to use a piece of plywood to place on top of the rungs to stabilize the pvc pipe but the board just wouldn't fit in there after I cut it. So I have opted to make the piece out of stiff foam instead and even then had to cut the foam in half to fit it in there. I cut a hole in the foam to feed the pvc through.

I have a lazy susan mechanism to use if I want to make the table top into a turntable. I'll have to cut another table top piece for that if I go that route. Now I just have to paint the top and I'm all finished. But knowing me... that paint job ain't gonna get done for a while!

So... that is all there is to it. I'm going to use it now for the first time to get started on my macaw parrot I want to sculpt next.

Marly

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Salem Oregon

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: I made a sculpting table!!

Thanks for sharing this Marly.

When you make your own tools it is not only economical but also actually more useful for adapting your tools for the work. It's fun to be able to do this. I share your excitment.

Here is a sculpture stand I made a couple of years ago that I adapted to do relief sculpting comfortably.

JT
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2004, 12:35 PM
A Local Legend
High Desert, AZ.

Hails from United States
Re: I made a sculpting table!!

marly hi, good for you terrific sculpting stand--Diane555 made a simular one too. Y'all are so creative!

JT, wow I really like your relief sculpture easel/stand...humm I wonder how my Jullian easel would work for small relief sculpting..thank you for sharing very creative too.
Kathy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2004, 01:29 PM
Salem Oregon

Hails from United States

Thanks Kathy,

My intent was not to be in competition. I did not want to steal Marly’s stage. I was feeling his excitement and satisfaction in creating something useful that would have otherwise cost too much for the tools purpose.

I have always made my own tools and equipment for adaptation of uses, most from scratch. I would have to modify a store bought tool to really get the value out of the tool for its expense and use ratio. If I were able to buy all the tools and equipment needed to do art, I would not be able to sell any of the work done from using the tools. It would be too expensive for normal people to buy. Art tools will break you.

I am glad Marly posted his hand made stand. It looks to get more use than some store bought that I have seen.

Thanks Marly

JT
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2004, 03:19 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddyfly
[size=4][color=DarkOliveGreen][font=Verdana]I am tickled pink! lol I made this table for about $30 Cdn. I thought up the idea of using a stool instead of going to the trouble of making the base. It is a good solid stool and the four legs provide a lot of support.

Cool beaners, Marly! The only things I would add, which I enjoy on my own sculpting stand, are casters on the feet (with two of them at least being locking ones if you want the thing to be still), and the ability for your top to turn around -- maybe sit a turntable on it or something, if it won't turn as it is. (My stand, which I got from Sculpture House, is similar to yours but the pipe that's the center is loose in the base and turns easily, which is how I want it). BTW, the stool idea is BRILLIANT!

JT, you used a really good stand to start with! I'd love to get one like that. How did you adapt yours to an easel? Can you show a side view? I do a lot of reliefs too, but have been working on them flat all these years. It would be nice to work on them upright!

Lynda