WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast
N. Calif

Hails from United States
Ever try a verdaccio?

I attended an oil painting class where the instructor (Frank Covino) teaches the verdaccio process as the old masters used. So when I recently acquired a chromium oxide green (COG) cp the other day, I wondered if we could somehow use the same method. The verdaccio palet is the 9 values made from black, COG and white. So in making this little portrait of my son I began with the darkest values with the COG pencil and made the light values with a french gray 20% (going over the COG). Now these are the "lousy-est" photo/scans. I use a textured matboard and the portrait is only 2x3 so to see it, it brings out the texture so much.

Then all I did was go over the verdaccio portrait with light peach (completely) and venetian red (completely, except for lighest values). I made mistakes in values (had to try to make up with some burnt sienna) but I've learned and will try another one.

Shirl
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2004, 05:13 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada
Re: Ever try a verdaccio?

This is fascinating! I've wanted to try the limited (5 col) palette for a while, (waiting for my order to arrive!) and now you tantilize me with this. I'm coming back later to rearead and make some notes. Please share more (and again!!!)

Meisie

I seem to love trying new techniques and ideas? I always get so excited when I find this sort of post
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom

Thats fascinating Shirl ,

I think funny enough my favourite stage is the verdaccio stage -what make is the chromium oxide green CP -WOW -never heard of that?? Can you get it in Prisma's?? It is a very interesting process and I take it that Verdaccio is a another way of underpainting before you put down the local colours? or is it meant to be used just for a limited pallete painting?

So many questions, lol sorry bout that its just that the results look amazing!!

Its fantastic to see a another Oil painting method translate to CP so beautifully .

Is it possible to get hold of that colour in this country do you think?

Thanks so much for sharing it is very intereting and you have produced a wonderful portrait with it, I am amazed that it is only 2x3 ???

Big Hugs,

ALI
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Maple Ridge, BC

Hails from Canada

What beautiful shadows this technique has produced! Shirl, you've packed a lot into such a small painting. Did you use the Polychromos green? and what colour was the mat board? Did you colour the background? So many questions - so much to learn!

Lynda
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast
N. Calif

Hails from United States

Hi Meisie, Lynda and Ali,

The verdaccio pallet is just for underpainting and the greenish tones will show through. What is so nice is that you are just going for values, not worrying about color, while painting the portrait. When the underpainting is finished, with the verdaccio, it's about 70 percent complete.

I found the chromium oxide green (COG) in the F-C Polychromos, quite by accident.

The matboard I'm using is grayish-blue. Actually, Frank Covino instructs to leave the portrait to the end, but I wasn't going to go through this whole thing and then mess it up with the portraits . I have an extensive background that I'm going to do, and I'll show it to you quite (!) later.

Here's Terry, done the same way, a little better I believe. I had trouble with the light peach and venetian red combination, I think I put too much pencil in the underpainting (this matboard doesn't take many layers). His hair took me about 5 minutes to color over the verdaccio underpainting.

Shirl
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 03:13 PM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

wow this is neat! I would never have thought of green tone underpainting for a face..this is working really well..make a great series..
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Are you using only the Polychromos pencils in these pieces?
`
` ` ` `
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 04:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States

i'm glad to see this...for the record this too is a grisaille...it's all about the underpainting, and isn't it great how once the grisaille is done, the rest moves so much faster?

This works well for faces, but wouldn't work as well for some other things, like a still life.

another one to try is a sepia underpainting. both drawings are excellent btw.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 04:20 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada

That's exactly my thought Arlene. But will only work with the pink type overpaintings that the green is a complimentary too.
So is this then applied (in the original oil demo) to other subjects too? Any adjustments made, in color maybe?
Meisie
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

i want this color now... hehe. These are great. I've used the verdaccio underpainting in oils before but didn't realize that it would translate over to CP so well. These are beautiful works. I will have to try this out. Thanks for posting these! lauren
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
West Virginia, USA

Hails from United States

Shirl, what a terrific job! I've seen verdaccio done but I'm just too adicted to my primary mix to use it myself.

Your portraits are marvelous (especially the second one). It is so wonderful to see how many different ways skin tones can be made by such creative people.

btw: I know verdaccio is a form of grisaille, but doesn't the term mean a green underpainting?

The purpose of education is... to get more jokes!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast
N. Calif

Hails from United States

Hi all, I'll try to answer these questions. Remember, these are my first tries at the verdaccio in cps, I'm no expert.

The only Polychromos I used is the COG.

Actually, you can use the verdaccio on a number of subjects. I certainly would use it when I do horses for example. I could very easily use this method with my son's shirt in this composition, which has a figure pattern in it, and then just go over it with the color of the shirt. (I think I'll try it.) Did I mention to spray when the underpainting is finished.

From my understanding, the Verdaccio is the green-tone underpainting; Grisaille is the gray-tone underpainting; and sepia is the sienna-tone underpainting.

Shirl
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 07:20 PM
A Local Legend
NC

Hails from United States

I have seen this done in oils and was impressed. Now I am more impressed that it can work in CP's. Great job!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom

Thank you so much Shirl for answering my questions and giving so much information on this technique!

I also love your new portrait that technique certainly works wonderfully or is it just that you are fantastic at portraiture? beautiful work thank you for sharing!

I also know what grisaille is but thank you Shirl for explaining the meaning of verdaccio, now that I think about it I feel a bit foolish as of course 'verde' means 'green', so I should have realised why it was called that .

I can see this technique working beautifully as you say with other subject matter, I see no reason why not, I think I definitely would like to try it some time .

Thank you,

Big hugs,

ALI
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Maple Ridge, BC

Hails from Canada

Thanks for the info, Shirl. I really, really like the skin tones this produces. I've never heard of this technique before, and as I struggle to get this colouration on my Masters project, here you come along with a solution (for a future project - this one's too far gone!) Thanks for remembering about the fisative as well. I'll be bookmarking this thread.

Lynda