WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
South of Seattle

Hails from United States
Question Homemade Annealing Kiln

I am about to embark on making my own bead annealing kiln.

The outside dimensions will be aprox. 25" wide x 13 1/2" deep x 9 1/2 tall with 2" tall legs. It will have metal sides, top, and bottom. It will have a digital controller and opperate on 120 vAC at about 10-12 amps. The cavity will be 20" x 9" x 4 1/2" or about 1/2 cu.ft. The lid will open so other operations are possible. I seem to be able to do this (all parts bought and or ordered) for under $500.00 exclusive of my time and labor. The design is very similar to the kiln from Mayne Island Glass videos.

Would anyone be interested in a photo record of the steps as I go along and a list of the parts and where I got them and what I paid for them?

PJ

Last edited by Cheng076 : 02-21-2004 at 07:40 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Near the Beach

Hails from United States
Re: Homemade Annealing Kiln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheng076
I am about to embark on making my own bead annealing kiln.

The outside dimensions will be aprox. 25" wide x 13 1/2" deep x 9 1/2 tall with 2" tall legs. It will have metal sides, top, and bottom. It will have a digital controller and opperate on 120 vAC at about 10-12 amps. The cavity will be 20" x 9" x 4 1/2" or about 1/2 cu.ft. The lid will open so other operations are possible. I seem to be able to do this (all parts bought and or ordered) for under $500.00 exclusive of my time and labor. The design is very similar to the kiln from Mayne Island Glass videos.

Would anyone be interested in a photo record of the steps as I go along and a list of the parts and where I got them and what I paid for them?

PJ

I`m interested Please post your project

Plato
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Near Asheville, NC

Hails from United States

Sure, I'm also interested in your project.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2004, 12:42 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon

Hails from United States

YES.... YES.... Very Interested!

Can't wait to see what you do and use! Lot's and lot's of pictures!

ETSY... SALES SOON!... WEBBIE
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2004, 02:20 AM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

I'm also interested. If you can get it to work I'll buy one for $500

Robert
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2004, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Rhode Island - The Ocean State

Hails from United States

I am very interested in your project!! Please do post!! PICS Too !!!! Monique
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2004, 03:17 AM
WC! Guide
Kenosha Wi

Hails from Canada

Sure always fun to watch a project....
Alan
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Vancouver Island, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

I was considering ordering the Mayne Island videos, but I was under the impression that the materials to build it would cost around $200 CAD. Are you adding bells and whistles? Making your kiln bigger? (If I build my own kiln, I'm adding an 'APPLAUSE' sign that lights up when I make a bead that I'm particularly proud of.) I'm very interested in a photo record of the project.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

[quote=wonderwoman]I was considering ordering the Mayne Island videos, but I was under the impression that the materials to build it would cost around $200 CAD.

Where do you order the Mayne Island Video Is it a video on building kilns???
thanks
Kathleen
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Taipei, Taiwan

Hails from Taiwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwoman
I was considering ordering the Mayne Island videos, but I was under the impression that the materials to build it would cost around $200 CAD. Are you adding bells and whistles? Making your kiln bigger? (If I build my own kiln, I'm adding an 'APPLAUSE' sign that lights up when I make a bead that I'm particularly proud of.) I'm very interested in a photo record of the project.
Does US$500 include a digital controller? I assumed it didn't, but if so, that would be way cool.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast
Gainesville, FL & Cape San Blas, FL

Hails from United States

In case anybody is interested, I know where there are two Paragon GL22 kilns for sale at $300 each.

These are BIG kilns, something like 22 x 20 x 13 inside. 220 volt/30 amps, with dual infinite switches. Kilns are working, but the elements have a LOT of hours on them.

PM me for more info.

Last edited by BillBrach : 02-22-2004 at 07:19 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2004, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
South of Seattle

Hails from United States
Lightbulb Re: Homemade Annealing Kiln

Hi all,
I think I will post pics as each phase of the project develops.

Jokersdesign, I'm sorry but I will probably build only this one. I would be willing to answer questions if you decide to make one for yourself. And hopefully the pics will lead you through the steps.

Wonderwoman and Li Mei Sheng, Yes the $500.00 cost includes a Shutt (sp) digital 'glass' programmable comtroller.

Let me say that I have not seen the Mayne Island Videos. I have visited his website. They appear to be very good. I just happen to be one of those people that can take an idea and a couple pictures and develop my own variation. I more or less did this kind of thing all my working life, improvise. I would urge anyone who wishes to start this project to buy his video since it is proven to lead you to a finished kiln.

Yes my design is slightly larger. Basically as large as I could make it with my equipment and with my uses in mind. I also do not use the element he does. I found it too expensive. So far I have $175.00 into this, owe another $225.00 when I pick up the controller and thermocouple, and about $35.00 for the sheet metal I'll get tomorrow. Other than hi-temp paint and some screws etc. that's about it.

Some notes; I cut the fire brick on my table saw with a normal carbide tipped blade. It eas an old blade and I thought it would be ruined. Supprise..the brick cuts like butter. Dusty as H... but very easily; you could use a hand saw just as well.

I will post pics of the initial parts and the cut brick laid out in correct order in a day or two.
PJH
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Taipei, Taiwan

Hails from Taiwan

Googled it:

http://www.mayneislandglass.com/beadkiln.htm

$45 for the two-tape set. It does look pretty simple -- firebrick, the right kind of cement, sheetmetal to enclose it, heating elements, and some electrical hardware. I wonder why they didn't design it to fit the size/shape of the bricks without having to cut them, though; a slightly larger kiln would be perfectly acceptable to anyone making one, I'm sure.

One kiln I saw had its heating elements inside quartz tubes; the shopkeeper said something about preventing contamination and breakage (I guess the element wire is fragile when hot). Might be a nice upgrade for a few dollars more!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
South of Seattle

Hails from United States

[IMG]Hi again,
To answer some questions here is a sketch of the proposed kiln.

Li Mei Sheng, no matter what size you make it you will need to cut half size bricks at the least. The bricks only come 2.5 x 4.5 x 9 inches as far as I can tell; so I used two and two thirds bricks by three rows. The material is so soft that there appears to be no need to have precast halfs, splits, or other sizes. Also I got the element from a local kiln supplier/builder/repairer and he fabricated the element to my specs - 120 volt, 10-12 amps, apx. 36 inches long close coil (in use the coils are stretched out to about twice the length or 72 in.)
[/IMG]
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
South of Seattle

Hails from United States

Hi yet again,

Drawing was too large. I hope this one goes through.

PJ
Attached Images