WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Minneapolis, MN

Hails from United States
Faux dicro technique!

Ok, I'm a newbie and am still learning. So my photos aren't of fabulous beads, but they do show this cool faux dichro look I stumbled upon.

I was experimenting with some of my rubber stamping embossing powders while making beads to see what would happen. The powders that are "pearl" style seem to make my beads look like I used dichroic glass! I tried several colors with different results, but so far I've been rather pleased.

I rolled the bead in just a bit of powder when the red cooled off, then brought it back into the flame to liquify it a bit. Sometimes I did seem to get spots (like on the silver pearl), I'm not quite sure why. But do wear a mask while rolling the beads in the powder, it does get rather smelly.

The beads shown were done in black, rolled in powder, then encased with clear.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Immortalized
South Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Faux dicro technique!

Wow! That does look like dichroic! Are you using Pearl-Ex?

my etsy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2004, 01:59 PM
Minneapolis, MN

Hails from United States

The plum pearl brand powder is Stamp-n Stuff by Mark Enterprises. The others are just called Embossing Pearl by Ranger.

I also forgot to mention, a 1 oz. jar only cost me $3, and a little goes a long ways.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Boston area

Hails from United States

hey mary,

those look great!! where did you buy the embossing powders? i especially love the blue and plum ones.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Jersey

Hails from United States

I'd like to know too. Those beads look cool!

Debbie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Minneapolis, MN

Hails from United States

You can buy the powders at any paper/rubber stamping store. Michaels probaby even has them. But they have to be "pearl" to get the right look. I tried some of my other powders, and they just burned off.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Boston area

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrek
You can buy the powders at any paper/rubber stamping store. Michaels probaby even has them. But they have to be "pearl" to get the right look. I tried some of my other powders, and they just burned off.

thanks mary!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2004, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Gilbert, Arizona

Hails from United States

If I am not mistaken, embossing powders are a granulated plastic. That would tend to be toxic if melted in a flame. A torch is much hotter than a heat gun which is designed for embossing. I'm not sure that is safe. Please be careful. If anyone has more specific information on this, please tell us.

Jeannie
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2004, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Alaska

Hails from Morocco

[quote=Beadazoid]If I am not mistaken, embossing powders are a granulated plastic. That would tend to be toxic if melted in a flame. A torch is much hotter than a heat gun which is designed for embossing. I'm not sure that is safe. Please be careful. If anyone has more specific information on this, please tell us.
Jeannie

Dear Mary B,

Since they're not burning up in the flame, I'm guessing that the 'pearl' luster powders contain mica, similar to the 'pixie dust' fusers use. If it is, then I've heard it's best to apply it thinly or leave some bare glass for the casing glass to fuse to, as some people have had problems with incomplete fusing of layers. Of course, that's assuming they're the same thing!
Barb

Last edited by AlaskaBarb : 02-20-2004 at 06:37 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Tallahassee, FL

Hails from United States

Melted plastic can be extremely toxic so this is not a technique you want to do unless using a mask. And I mean an industrial mask with filters that can handle burning esters and phthalates. If you take these precautions and have a well ventilated area then you should be fine. I could not find any mention on the internet of what plastics these things are made of though to be more specific. Remember that many people in house fires die of toxic smoke inhalation from the plastics burning in their houses. Also work higher up in the flame to melt, this may help reduce the fumes.

That said, be careful and have fun!

HTH,
Christy (used to be a chemist in an earlier life, now a computer geek and budding bead artist)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadazoid
If I am not mistaken, embossing powders are a granulated plastic. That would tend to be toxic if melted in a flame. A torch is much hotter than a heat gun which is designed for embossing. I'm not sure that is safe. Please be careful. If anyone has more specific information on this, please tell us.

Jeannie
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast
Woodinville. Wa.

Hails from United States

I have some tiny, tint, tiny glass marbles like size of a pencil point and on the pkg it says use on any surface with tape or glue even fabric glue.One pkg is multi color and one gold. Wonder if they could work on surface of beads or just melt away? Anyone used them? Being they say they are glass so I assume they are. Peg M
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Tallahassee, FL

Hails from United States

Ok I went and checked the Pearl embossing powders at Michaels today. They are, indeed made of mica. Mica is a stone and seems to have been used to burn things such as incense (in Japan) and for the front of wood stoves in New England at one time. This would mean that they are combusted regularly without too much toxic stuff or they wouldn't have used it for those purposes. So, I am planning on trying this out myself.

Christy
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Minneapolis, MN

Hails from United States

Post your photos if you make something with this! I want to see what others come up with.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Virginia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg
I have some tiny, tint, tiny glass marbles like size of a pencil point and on the pkg it says use on any surface with tape or glue even fabric glue.One pkg is multi color and one gold. Wonder if they could work on surface of beads or just melt away? Anyone used them? Being they say they are glass so I assume they are. Peg M

I occasionally use some tiny gold glass marbles, they create a sort of odd whiteish-goldish color and are usually dots almost like frits. They are interesting to play with, but I am not a big fan, maybe another color might work better?
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
Mexico

Hails from Mexico

It is mica powder, Mica is great stuff in beads, I have used Mica that I found out in the desert even with good success.

Laura