WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Orlando, FL

Hails from United States
Termite Tenting

I have an odd question -- the landlord has decreed that a termite exterminatio must happen, and our apartment building will be tented. Do the Bobcat and corresponding oxygen/propane tanks need to be temporarily relocated, or will they be ok throughout the gassing process? The representative from the gas company assured the tenants that nothing non-living in the apartment will be affected, but I'm thinking it doesn't hurt to ask.

thank you
Angi
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Fountain Valley, California

Hails from United States
Re: Termite Tenting

Angi,

Finally a question I can answer!

No you do not have to remove your tanks. Turn them off as normal and think of it this way, your gas cannot get out of the tanks and the fumigant cannot get in. You should be provided with "special" bags to place all ingestables and medicines in. The fumigation company is most likely going to use a fumigant called Vikane it will not harm your torch but leave it in the off position with the hoses connected.

The natural gas will be turned off to the building because the gas can react with heat (from pilot lights) causing a reaction.

Vikane does not leave a residue and is colorless, odorless and DEADLY to people, plants and animals. Chloropicrin (tear gas) is added to the property as a warning agent.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me, while the laws in Florida may vary from California I will try to help.

loco
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2004, 12:44 AM
Enthusiast
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

HE he. . . When I saw the thread name, I suspected the "Loco Bug Lady" would answer. he he.

Angi, you can trust her answer!

Bonnie, Goodwill wouldn't take the waterbed.. . .I thought I would take it to Salvation Army when they can't reject it!

Michelle
Bousky Arts
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2004, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousky
Bonnie, Goodwill wouldn't take the waterbed.. . .I thought I would take it to Salvation Army when they can't reject it!

Michelle

Michelle,

Timing is everything!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2004, 05:02 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States

Wait a minute -- is your propane tank inside? It shouldn't be. It's not just illegal but unsafe. Anything larger than the one-pound cylinders like the ones that are used for a Hot Head is illegal inside a residence. (And no, this has nothing to do with the termite fuming.)

If your propane is outside and you were just asking if you should cover it when the Bug People are around, my apologies.

And sorry to sound cranky -- it's just that this is an important safety thing.

To those who question the real value of the Web: Sea slugs. Now, please fall into a respectful silence, and don't speak again until you understand why you were wrong.
-- James Norton (in Flak Magazine's review of the Sea Slug Forum)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Orlando, FL

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
Wait a minute -- is your propane tank inside? It shouldn't be. It's not just illegal but unsafe. Anything larger than the one-pound cylinders like the ones that are used for a Hot Head is illegal inside a residence. (And no, this has nothing to do with the termite fuming.)

If your propane is outside and you were just asking if you should cover it when the Bug People are around, my apologies.

And sorry to sound cranky -- it's just that this is an important safety thing.

Oh no no NO! It's all set up outside, especially the propane, on a screened-in balcony. I freely admit to ditzy moments, but I did my homework and made sure the safety issues were addressed first thing when I set up the torch. (And don't worry, you don't sound cranky; if the propane was inside, I'd deserve to be yelled at.) But the entire ediface is getting the tent-treatment, balcony and all. I'm willing to take apart the set-up, pack it up for a couple of days, but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to -- packing up a 40-gal aquarium and a skittish/psycho cat is more than enough to deal with.

Thank you all for the responses -- I didn't expect there to be any issues, but I feel much safer for the asking.

Angi
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meooow
packing up a 40-gal aquarium and a skittish/psycho cat is more than enough to deal with. Angi

Angi,

Please make sure your tank is not where anyone can bump it and possibly make your torch fall. The crew men can be monkey's and apes at times (yes, I personally had a few like that working for me). Please call the fumigation company about the fish in your aquarium. The gas does not penetrate water and depending on the state regulations, the companies policy and current Vikane lable you may be able to leave the fish inside without harm if properly prepared.

loco