WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors OX_b4666342a1.showAdUnit("469607");

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2004, 11:40 AM

Hails from United Kingdom
Book showing open pages

I have recently retired and am teaching myself to draw with the help of books! Please can somebody show me how to draw a THICK, FAT open book showing pages (Paperback Roget's Thesaurus!) with correct perspective? There is a diagram in the book Perspective Made Easy by Ernest Norling, but I am still confused how to go about actually constructing it! I took some pictures of the book with my digital camera (would it be considered cheating?) and have got the printouts which I know I can copy quite successfully. However I would like to understand the principles and be able to draw freehand without the aid of a digital camera. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2004, 01:27 PM
WC! Guide
Kenosha Wi

Hails from Canada
Re: Book showing open pages

Using your own photo is not cheating....use it....if you want to do it free hand the only way to get better is to pratice the more you do the better you get and when you look at what you are drawing really look at it....check the angles and the light....
Alan
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2004, 03:31 AM

Thanks for your advice! However, drawing the open pages freehand is proving to be very tough - even copying the printout is a challenge! I keep feeling that surely there is a method, certain rules to follow, just like constructing a rectangular solid in 2pt. perspective and that if I was shown a step by step construction and properly understood the principle behind it, I would not be so frustrated!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2004, 11:38 AM
WC! Guide
Kenosha Wi

Hails from Canada

There are no step by steps just look at the whole shape whatever it is and then fill in the details.
Alan
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2004, 02:43 PM

Smile Re: Book showing open pages

Thanks for the advice! This week I am going to draw, draw and draw BOOKS until I can do a number of them lying on the table in all sorts of angles, open and close!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 10:34 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
North Carolina

Hails from Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vil
Thanks for the advice! This week I am going to draw, draw and draw BOOKS until I can do a number of them lying on the table in all sorts of angles, open and close!

Hi,
That's exactly what you should do! It is always a good idea to look for some shortcuts but the best way to do is just practice. Put up some books and just draw - you will see - it is not as hard as you think and when you get it right you will feel great - that's what is important.
Good Luck - show us your tryings!
Jolanta
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2004, 01:14 PM

Thanks , I am persevering!!!! Does it matter what kind of paper I use? My art teacher at school gave me such a complex about my drawing ability that now I do not see the point in wasting good paper and am practising on discarded copy paper!!!!

Vil
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2004, 02:24 PM
WC! Guide
Kenosha Wi

Hails from Canada

Nothing wrong in using cheap paper just to pratice....might relax you more also.....
Alan
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2004, 12:31 PM

Thumbs up Re: Book showing open pages

By Jove I've got it! This morning I did an accurate line drawing of a pile of books all at different angles! I also managed to do a rough sketch of a thick book with the pages open. Looked at the shapes carefully just as you suggested!

Many thanks!

Vil
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2004, 01:06 PM
WC! Guide
Kenosha Wi

Hails from Canada

Thats great news.....good for you.
Alan
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2004, 01:19 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Philippines

May I suggest you take the context of books out of the perspective problem. Try 3 cereal boxes on top of one another, try 3 shoe boxes. The idea is the same, the rectangles just different lengths and widths. Also take one of those items, place it in the middle of a large table, draw what you see from all 12 hours of the table as you walk around it and keep going. This will help your 3D thinking to see the object and translate it to 2D.

Goodluck!

Bobby

PS: and repeat after me, my art teacher was a bozo!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2004, 07:55 PM
WC! Guide
The Rockies, Montana, USA

Hails from United States

HI

I think Bobby has the greatest advice...especially about the "bozo"

Let us see it when you are done
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2004, 07:14 AM

Many thanks! I will do what you suggest! I am not quite sure that when you say "draw what you see from all 12 hours of the table as you walk around it and keep going." you mean I should do quick sketches or very accurate line drawings or both! Maybe I should try both? Does it matter what size I draw?

Is it better to draw standing (I do have a lightweight metal easel) or sitting down with the pad on my lap? Is it better for a beginner to work with a pencil or willow charcoal?

I do have a scanner but am not certain how to save and post the work!

I must say it is so good to have you all taking time out to give advice - much appreciated!

Vil
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Philippines

Quote:
I am not quite sure that when you say "draw what you see from all 12 hours of the table as you walk around it and keep going."
Arrange the object in the center of the table, however you wish. Choose a starting point to be the 12 position, usually above it, and facing that begin drawing. Then move clockwise to the right, and stay at the 1 position, till you circle the table entirely from where you began.
Quote:
you mean I should do quick sketches or very accurate line drawings or both! Maybe I should try both?
Yes do both, first try 1 minute "sketches" (concentrate on the tones if you are moving fast and using vine charcoal), then proceed to 2 minutes, then go around again for line accuracy this time either over your sketches, or on new paper. I would suggest getting a large 18 x 24 newsprint pad, and dividing the page into 6 boxes (1 line horizontally, 2 vertically), then fill the boxes with your sketches.
Quote:
Does it matter what size I draw?
I would not work large on a single piece until you are more confident and comfortable. For now even a quartered 8 x10 piece of computer printer paper will suffice.
Quote:
Is it better to draw standing (I do have a lightweight metal easel) or sitting down with the pad on my lap?
If the easel is bulky and cumbersome, it will be a pain to move it. Find a good chair, keep your back straight, and elevate the pad in one hand slightly, maybe balanced under a book and steadied by your free hand. Don't put it in your lap, it will cause an elongated drawing as if you had it flat on a table.
Quote:
Is it better for a beginner to work with a pencil or willow charcoal?

As a beginner, there's no reason not to use both. Try a soft lead pencil from 2B - 5B, have a good kneaded eraser, not a gum one, and for the vine charcoal, get various sizes, and the newsprint to work on...

Good luck!

Bobby
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2004, 01:56 AM
Enthusiast
Motor City, Michigan

Hails from United States

Something else that might help in your exercise above is to make sure that you have some "directional light."... i.e. dont' just put your books in the room and turn the overhead light on, use a floor lamp or something of that sort to "aim" the light at one direction. This will give you differing shadows from different directions.. This will aso help to accentuate the shape of the books....

Remember the "basic" shapes that every object can be broken into:

Cube
Ball
Cone
Cylinder

If you try to break down the shapes of whatever you are looking at into these 4 basic shapes, you will find it easier to see the 3 dimensional shape...

Also, be aware of how you are looking at your objects-- make sure that you aren't necessarily "head on" looking at just one end of a box... if at all possible, try to be able to see 2 to 3 faces of the books... it will help show the 3-Dimensionality of the books!

--Iris