WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2004, 09:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States
Photos: LENTILS getting the shape right for the CBS

Ok, I just started playing with this tool this weekend, and I have high hopes for getting the right amount of glass on my mandrel before I press it into the Corina Bead Stamp (CBS).

Kaye Husko said to make a lemon shape, and that seems to be the trick that works for me (getting a nice barrel shape bead, with puckered ends, tapered just so). Someone here talked about marking on the mandrel with a Sharpie pen to the correct width you want the bead to be (a tad smaller than the stamp size)--that helps a lot too as I'm applying the glass. Jodi Lindsey told me to press the bead down into the mold as soon as I place it in the cup and before I press down the top, and that helps a lot!

Ok, I want perfectly circular beads, I don't want indentations near the mandrels, and I don't want oval lentils. These are my first rough lentils, which I know will get better in time.

Maybe something here will help another just starting with your tool. And if you have more tips and photos (or corrections to my ways), then by all means add them to this thread!

First lentils with largest of standard CBS tool:

(Ignore the dots--this bead was destined for something else, but the shape is right for this quicky tutorial!) This is the shape I make on my mandrel before pressing it in the mold, when I got the best results. (To those of you more experienced with this tool--is this the shape you make before pressing?)

Valorie

Last edited by ValorieCox : 02-03-2004 at 12:27 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
Re: Photos: LENTILS getting the shape right for the CBS

Hi Val! Great Tutorial! I hope you don't mind if I add a note. Instead of marking the mandrels, I have marked off my torch marver in 1/4 inch increments. When I want to use one of the molds, I use a ruler to determine the width of the mold and then wrap the correct amount on the mandrel, measuring it against the markings on my marver. After a while, you do remember which mold is what width. Keeps you from having to mark all of those mandrels ahead of time and if you get too much glass on the mandrel for one mold, you know how much more you need to wrap on to fit the next size. Works really well for me and really comes in handy when I want to make several long bicones that are the same length. A metal ruler taped somewhere near your torch could work in the same way.
I generally wait until the bead is a little cool before I press it into the mold. Seems to come out a nicer, more even shape with better edges.
And yes, that is the basic shape I want before I mash, maybe a little fatter.
Kimberly

Last edited by Kimberly Affleck : 02-02-2004 at 10:06 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2004, 10:16 PM
A Local Legend
Across Puget sound From Seattle

Hails from United States

I can tell you that my biggest problem is getting it into the mold quickly and centered.....obviously hesitation with hot glass translates into the shifting sands of time.......... I have the graphite model. I still can't necessarily line up the top so that it will drop right away.

Pressing it in sounds like a good idea because that way ...if I lay it in and it isn't perfect it will misshapen before i can get the top half down.

Perfectly round? hummmmmm....yep I would like that too...I guess I will see if I can do that. Of course perfection isn't in my repertoire

CATS! can't live with them, Can't live without them!
Why do they lay in your path and refuse to move out of your way and then complain bitterly when you trip over them?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2004, 10:17 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States
Thank you Kimberly! Marking your torch mounted marver is a great idea instead of marking the mandrel--I'm going to do it!

Ok, a little fatter for my barrel, and letting it cool a bit before pressing. Thank you for these tips, I appreciate it!

Val
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Enthusiast
cave creek, az

Hails from United States

Hi !ngridh.

You can let a skin form on the bead...it doesn't have to be soupy when you put it into the mold. Just line it up and use the guides for the stamp and push down fast and hard once you have it lined up.

Val, I do a similar shape but don't concentrate on the puckered ends too much. Mine are actually probably pointy until smooshed. Here's the outcome:

Better holes when I don't do encased beads for some reason.

I lower my mandrel with the original footprint to size it against the actual cup, or against a metal ruler on my table.

Here's a tip for the day that I just figured out this week: Bring the top half of the stamp up under your football shape while the glass is still moving but not too soupy and roll it in the cup to make it nice and even before reheating and smooshing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ngridh
I can tell you that my biggest problem is getting it into the mold quickly and centered.....obviously hesitation with hot glass translates into the shifting sands of time..........
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 12:59 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Longmont, Colorado

Hails from United States

I have had my CBS since before Christmas. I tried a couple of quickie beads but I was not quite satisfied with the results. I've had so little torch time since then and just recently had some time to play again. I found that when I stopped being stubborn about using the smaller mandrel I had 100% improvement in my lentils. There is a world of difference between using the 1/16" mandrel and the 3/32". I can get a near perfect stamp every time using the 1/16"mandrel. So - that's my tip! All of you 3/32" mandrel users out there switch to the 1/16" mandrel You will be glad that you did
I might even have time to post my lentils to the Show and Tell thread tomorrow or the next day!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 01:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
Colorado

Hails from United States

MaryBeth, that is what I was thinking while I was using my CBS, "I'll bet I would have better luck if I used a smaller mandrel." LOL

Thanks, Val, for posting this tutorial. It helps to see how much glass to wind on the mandrell before pressing.

I have a quick tip. Before I put my bead in the cup, I blow on it and the stamp to remove any flecks of beads release that may have come off from a previous bead.

~K

Want to know more about me? Check out my user profile.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 04:01 AM
Enthusiast
Nashville, TN

Hails from United States

All these great ideas! Now if my CBS would arrive I can start to play.
I'm a bit anxious still!
Tracey
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Enthusiast
Woodburn, Oregon

Hails from United States

For what it's worth. I found when I made a round bead before I smushed it I came out with a round lentil, If I used a barrel shaped bead I cameout with a lentil that was wider than it was long ( from hole to hole) If I used a lemon shape bead I came out with something between the round and the barrel shaped one and I had a problem with the ends. I have also had a problem with beads breaking after they were annealed when I used the larger mandrels. Just my 2 cents worth
Liz
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Wyoming

Hails from United States

Would you like to see the bucket of crummy lentils I've done since I got the CBS? lol

All of the tips here are spot on, as they say somewhere.

Smaller mandrels absolutely unless you're using the mag masher and making a whopper. Then you gotta have the bigger mandrel.

I never worry about the ends any more. As Lori said, they're sometimes even a bit pointy. I've found that as long as you have the right amount of glass in the middle it will smoosh it out to make nice ends. I'm finding that a final almost round but still bigger in the middle shape works best.

I'm still having a bit of trouble getting the ends to match, however. Sometimes I'll have the nice little indent on one end and a flat end on the other. eh????

Personally, from a purely aestetic point of view, I like the little indents. But that's just me.

I use the handled end to measure the footprint and finally figured out that yes, less is more. And the binkster is correct. Always double check to make sure no bead release has wandered down into the cup.

I did some plain transparent itty bitty ones yesterday. They were perfect! I etched 'em and they look so kewl with the other beads in the set. No pics yet, sorry. Still waiting for the sun to get up a little higher.

My website.
Etsy store
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Plymouth, Michigan

Hails from United States

I start with a barrel the width of the lentil indention. Until, the CBS, I basically made only round beads. I am defintely "shape challenged", so even making a barrel is somewhat frustrating. I lay the glass down and find that I am getting a lot of bubbles (am I laying it down wrong), then when I go to marver it, I tend to mess it up again. But, when I do get it pretty good, I add a fair amount to the center and then I heat it all up to the "football - lemon" shape. The glass pulls from the sides of course to the center and my ends are left pretty jagged. Sometimes, after I press, the ends are fine but most of the time they are not. That is my biggest problem now and then when I go to clean them, I get lots of chips around the holes. Maybe I need to lay down more glass around the holes like Val was saying, what do you think?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Wyoming

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluvs2create
I start with a barrel the width of the lentil indention. Until, the CBS, I basically made only round beads. I am defintely "shape challenged", so even making a barrel is somewhat frustrating. I lay the glass down and find that I am getting a lot of bubbles (am I laying it down wrong), then when I go to marver it, I tend to mess it up again. But, when I do get it pretty good, I add a fair amount to the center and then I heat it all up to the "football - lemon" shape. The glass pulls from the sides of course to the center and my ends are left pretty jagged. Sometimes, after I press, the ends are fine but most of the time they are not. That is my biggest problem now and then when I go to clean them, I get lots of chips around the holes. Maybe I need to lay down more glass around the holes like Val was saying, what do you think?

I learned this neat little trick from Kim Miles last year... Make your first wrap then start moving horizontally along the mandrel laying down glass til you reach the length you want.

This part I figured out on my own... when I reach the end I continue winding the glass on the end until I have what looks like the right amount. Then I trail over to the left and make another little disk. Practice will tell you how much to add.

What happens is the glass wants to move to the middle so if you put enough on the ends then heat it up you'll get a nice little lemon shape or a round bead if you added enough glass.

This only works on little beads like 10-15mm. Anything bigger and you need to add some in the middle.

The only drawback to doing this is certain colors tend to leave a darker line down the middle. Copper blue for sure does it, sometimes dark ivory.

Hope this made sense.

My website.
Etsy store
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 06:19 PM
A Local Legend
Across Puget sound From Seattle

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
Hi !ngridh.

You can let a skin form on the bead...it doesn't have to be soupy when you put it into the mold. Just line it up and use the guides for the stamp and push down fast and hard once you have it lined up.

Val, I do a similar shape but don't concentrate on the puckered ends too much. Mine are actually probably pointy until smooshed. Here's the outcome:

Better holes when I don't do encased beads for some reason.

I lower my mandrel with the original footprint to size it against the actual cup, or against a metal ruler on my table.
Here's a tip for the day that I just figured out this week: Bring the top half of the stamp up under your football shape while the glass is still moving but not too soupy and roll it in the cup to make it nice and even before reheating and smooshing!
OH my that is so totally cool......... that never occured to me! Brilliant!!!!

CATS! can't live with them, Can't live without them!
Why do they lay in your path and refuse to move out of your way and then complain bitterly when you trip over them?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 06:39 PM
NorthEastern CT

Hails from United States

I've been using mine for about a month now and I have to admit that I'm still confuzzled on the smallest size in this tool. The larger two sizes seemed to come naturally, no fuss, no muss. Sure, I muck 'em up here and there but more often than not those two sizes just fall into place. But that smallest size..........GAH!! I just can't get them to come out even. One side will be flatter than the other, etc. At first I thought it was because I was laying down the glass unevenly but NOW I'm thinking it's because of the POSITION of the smallest side. I have the tool to my left and I smash with my right hand, anyhoo, I think I'm pressing it unevenly so now I'm experimenting with turning the tool around to do the small ones. Um................actually that hasn't worked too well for me yet either. I really do like the middle size best anyway. *twitch* Yep. Middle size is the best one.

...Moonraker Lampwerks!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast
Charlotte, NC

Hails from United States

You'll get the perfectly round shape without those nasty indentations if you (1) Let the glass cool briefly before pressing and then (2) center it and press it into the bottom mold before pressing. Works every time. When the glass is too hot it wants to flow like water outward, around the mandrel and straight towards the hole. This creates indentations and in some cases sharp edges. The cooler the glass the slower it moves and it is less likely to move in the direction of the hole as quickly if you give it a few seconds to cool first. Also, you will rarely have broken bead release if you center and then press the bead into the bottom cup first before pressing...after pressing hold it shut for a few seconds, allowing it to cool. This way IF any release did break away, your bead will be cool enough that it will not attach.

Darla