I don't know how many times I've read the phrase "use complementary colors to darken" and it has never sunk into my head exactly what that means. I'd get myself all
trying to think of it. Purple and Yellow, Red and Green, Orange and Blue...such a simple concept, yet I could not for the life of me understand it.
Well, I *think* I finally get it now with the gladiola. It took several scrap pieces of paper working out the color scheme, deciding okay, Red and Green are complements, but what about Dark Purple and Magenta...what on earth complements those two colors??? LOL...any one else ever have that feeling or spend hours testing out colors just to see what they look like?
I finally settled on Parrot Green as a complement to enhance the shadow areas on this piece.
In layer 1, I used my warm grey 50% to do a value study, like what I did with the rose. Layer1
In layer 2, I used the Parrot Green to enhance the shadow areas, and to see if it really did work, if you don't look at any other progress pictures, you'll get a kick out of this one...I showed it to my mom, she looked at me like I was insane Layer2
Layer 3 came along, time for the test! Here I added dark purple...wow, what a difference! Layer3
Layer 4 started adding the base color of the flower, in this case magenta was added. Layer4
The final scan that I did came a long way from Layer 4...I got carried away and kept going instead of scanning, but here is a breakdown: I added process red over the magenta, then pink and hot pink over the lightest areas. I added periwinkle to the edges of some of the petals, in hopes of making them recede just a bit. I finished off the stem with henna, sand, some of the dark purple and of course parrot green. The stamens (or is it pistols...sigh...where the pollen is
) were done with sand, yellow ochre, henna and dark purple. The other part (stamen/pistol) was done with sky blue and a bit of the warm grey 50%.
After all that was done, is when I burnished. This took me quite a while, I'm a slow burnisher...LOL. Then I went back in with some more of the colors, to enhance and bring the colors back up a bit. All told I think I spent about 14 hours on this one, it's 5 x 5 on strathmore bristol. And I was very happy that the parrot green worked out well
. NOW I understand...LOL.