WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Fairfield, Ct

Hails from United States
propane regulator making noise?!?!

today I turned on my propane and it was making almost a buzzing noise....I realized I hadnt closed my valve on my torch the previous night and when I closed it the noise stopped but started again when I turned it on!! Is this noise normal...maybe I dont normally hear it because I have my ventilation system and my music on!! Any advice before I blow up my basement? -mike
it is a brbecue size tank!!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast
Minnesota

Hails from United States
Re: propane regulator making noise?!?!

What you are hearing is the diaphragm vibrating.

It's an indication that there may be a leak or other problem with the regulator. I'd take it to your local welding shop and have it looked at.

Regulators are supposed to be quiet, although you may hear a slight whisper sound from the oxygen regulator at higher pressures. Never a buzzing sound.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Fairfield, Ct

Hails from United States

thanx
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 01:45 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Round Rock, TX

Hails from United States

Aren't the regulators suppose to be checked once a year? Just wondering.

Starlia
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Not that I'm aware of...maybe our resident "expert" Dale knows about this.

It may be a "requirement" if the regulator is used in an industrial environment, but I don't think "our" use qualifies...that said, I'd have them checked only if you are experiencing problems or if the regulator in question is older than 5 years or so - at that point the diaphragm can start to crack and seals start to age. It's usually less expensive to buy a new one than it is to have them rebuilt.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 02:06 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Round Rock, TX

Hails from United States

I knew that on our for the City I had to have them checked yearly---at least I think that was them.

If you can have it checked, it probably isn't a bad idea unless it's gonna cost be $$$ every year. Another thing to add to my safety list. I know my regulator is old, but I got it free and it works.

Starlia
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2004, 09:24 PM
Senior Member & WC! Industry Partner
Harstine Island, WA State, USA

Hails from United States

I can only speak for Victor regulators, which can go under a few different names and be the same exact torch except that it is in a different box. Those that we sell come with a 2 year guarentee. If you purchased your regulator new and have had it for under 2 years, call up the company that you purchased it and explain what is happening and you might get a new one in exchange. If there is no refund or exchange available, it would probably be best to purchase a new one rather than fixing the bad one, the only exception I would see is if you had a 2 stage regulator. Since this style is more expensive, it might be worth fixing.

TRUE STORY: This is not an urban myth, this really happend to me.

Regulators do fail right out of the box, others can fail a few days or weeks later, and many will fail if you do not operate them properly. We had sent a new regulator to a customer, who attached it to his/her tank and it was not holding pressure, it was fluctuating and this customer called Frantz Art Glass and told us what was going on. We told this customer to pack it up in a box and we would call tag the regulator back. So this customer packs it up and sets it down on a ledge, but it accidently fell from the second floor. When the regulator was retrieved, it was a total loss. I told our customer to send it back and I would see what I could do, in the meantime we shipped them a new regulator. When I called manufacturer, explained what had happened and the only question I was asked was "was the regulator not working properly before it was dropped?" I told the service rep that the regulator was faulty and that it was accidently dropped and the rep said "no problem". This is what I call great customer service!

Mike Frantz
Shelton, WA 98584 USA
Toll Free 1-800-839-6712
Tel 1-360-426-6712
Fax 1-360-427-5866
Mike@FrantzArtGlass.com
www.FrantzArtGlass.com